Question about Green Hulls

MissMax

Featured Posts

"Green" on the waterline and below the water is just 'stuff' growing, it is cleaned off every couple of years when the bottom is blacked.

Green stuff higher up, or even things like nettles growing out of the fenders, is just a sign of a lack of maintenance, if the external visual things are that bad - what are the 'hidden' things like engines going to be like.?

Green on / below the waterline is normal, it can grow quite thick within a couple of months (sometimes weeks in the summer with warmer temps).

green anywhere else should be taken as a warning.

it is possible for a boat to get a coating of green from being under trees over winter on a mooring but you have to question if a person selling the boat hasn't taken the time to make the outside presentable what have they neglected elsewhere.

edited to change coat to boat

Edited by Jess--

Might we surmise you is on a low budget?

I need money left over for a bottle of Babycham (seen the queen do it)

(No one must ever know that I thought it was some weird boat custom to insulate the hull blush.png)

if the external visual things are that bad - what are the 'hidden' things like engines going to be like.?

Possibly in better condition that those in boats belonging to people who only know how to polish? My boat looks bleedin awful, but mechanically it's quite spot on!

"Green" on the waterline and below the water is just 'stuff' growing, it is cleaned off every couple of years when the bottom is blacked.

Green stuff higher up, or even things like nettles growing out of the fenders, is just a sign of a lack of maintenance, if the external visual things are that bad - what are the 'hidden' things like engines going to be like.?

Or if you cruise regularly !

Or if you cruise regularly !

Oddly this year we have cruised alot, particularly in the spring but seem to have lots of greenstuff stuck below the waterline. Maybe the mild winter? I don't mind it as i believe it's attached to the blacking so that must still be beneath it.

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking on line (and sometimes working) and i have seen a few boats with green hulls (lots of grass and moss).

Is this normal or does it mean that the boat hasn't been checked in a long time.

Thank you

This is what you call a green hull

post-261-0-13599700-1469294481_thumb.jpg

• Greenie 1

• 4 weeks later...

There's one along from us on the long-term moorings for which "patina" would be a distinct understatement. It's not even disused; the owner lives aboard, but apparently has a medical condition which prevents him from cleaning the boat.

Most of these boats are in the country, hence the song "There is a green hull far away, without a city wall..."

Mr. Snail, yes, a remnant of a long-disbanded hire fleet oop North! To be fair, the chap is not very well, so one can't blame him at all for not having a shiny boat.

• 2 weeks later...