New widebeam, rust coming through already?!

Featured Posts

It's fair to say that our boat is not a 'high end' all singing all dancing boat builder, but has still cost us all our savings, inheritance and then some!!!

I have spoken with a surveyor who also thinks the problem is to do with scale, he thinks the only remedy will probably be shot blasting.

Not sure how this will work considering there is quite bad rusting inside the bilge area also.

I am awaiting a paintwork survey now

It's fair to say that our boat is not a 'high end' all singing all dancing boat builder, but has still cost us all our savings, inheritance and then some!!!

I have spoken with a surveyor who also thinks the problem is to do with scale, he thinks the only remedy will probably be shot blasting.

Not sure how this will work considering there is quite bad rusting inside the bilge area also.

I am awaiting a paintwork survey now

What is/was your warranty and is paintwork mentioned in the T&C's

Ray

Were you got the money is irrelevant.

If you bought a cheap new-build, this is one of the ways they made it cheap.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I would agree with others that to approach the builder is your first course of action. I'd also agree that there is a possibility that you have bought too cheap and this is a symptom. Nevertheless, consumer law states that whatever you buy should be fit for purpose, so whilst the paint job in a quality build might outlast yours, your protective surfacing failing in a year suggests it's not fit for purpose to me. Should the builder be unhelpful, Trading Standards is perhaps your next port of call.

AfterI bought my painted sailaway in 2007, it came out in a rash of micro-blistering after about a year. Following some discussions with the builder/painter and some input from the (well known) paint supplier, the boat was taken back to bare metal and repainted.