Oil filter for Beta 43

frahkn

Featured Posts

Can anyone confirm (or otherwise) that a Baldwin BT420 is the correct filter for this engine. The Baldwin site is silent on this.ThanksFrank.

Searching the Baldwin site for Kubota V1903 engine (the core engine used by Beta; although later ones use the V2003 from the same engine series) gives Balwin B7099.

BT420 is a transmission filter.

I did a Google search ("beta 43" "oil filter" - note the double quotes) and this site gives the official part number as 211-70510/02. Searching by part number on Google leads to this website where you can buy a Baldwin equivalent for £9 plus vat.

I only post this because you can find what you require very quickly and it might be a while before you get an answer on this forum although often it is very quick.

Sorry if I point out the bleedin' obvious, but remember that just because a filter fits, does not mean it will do the job. I have removed filters that do not mate correctly inside; this means that the oil will completely bypass the filter and your engine will quickly be damaged.

Edited by mross

Thanks for the replies so far.

My problem is that I have been sold the oil filter by Midland Chandlers at Mercia. They tell me that it is correct for my Beta 43 but, having looked at it more carefully, I think it is not an exact match for the original Beta part which is currently fitted.

If I was at home I could source the original Beta filter but as I am on the boat, I cannot.

Can anyone confirm either way if the BT420 is correct?

Thanks. Frank.

FWIW The reference I have is Fram PH2857A.

Interesting, I have it as PH3589, and have used it often. Other equivalents for 211-70510/02 I have noted as Baldwin BT420, Crossland 2275 and Fleetguard LF3706.

I often find that the trouble with looking up equivalents is that it sort of spirals rather than circles. So you start with an Acme A01b, go through one manufacturers idea of an equivalent to another, eventually coming back to an Acme A06f! Without the filter specifications (which are somewhere between quite hard an impossible to find) you have no idea of whether you're replacing like for like or, say, a 10 micron filter with a 30 micron one. More importantly, maybe one with a bypass for one without. I gave up on looking for equivalents for my Beta 43 for exactly this reason and, despite people saying Beta's own filters are overpriced, originals are available at below a tenner a time so the savings aren't worth the risk for me.

The bt420 might be bang on but, should you not be happy, I expect you'll pass a chandlers that has a Beta one on the shelf soon enough that the short delay to the oil change won't harm your engine.

I often find that the trouble with looking up equivalents is that it sort of spirals rather than circles. So you start with an Acme A01b, go through one manufacturers idea of an equivalent to another, eventually coming back to an Acme A06f! Without the filter specifications (which are somewhere between quite hard an impossible to find) you have no idea of whether you're replacing like for like or, say, a 10 micron filter with a 30 micron one. More importantly, maybe one with a bypass for one without. I gave up on looking for equivalents for my Beta 43 for exactly this reason and, despite people saying Beta's own filters are overpriced, originals are available at below a tenner a time so the savings aren't worth the risk for me.

The bt420 might be bang on but, should you not be happy, I expect you'll pass a chandlers that has a Beta one on the shelf soon enough that the short delay to the oil change won't harm your engine.

Seconded. Something about a ha'porth of tar ...

Thanks for the replies so far.My problem is that I have been sold the oil filter by Midland Chandlers at Mercia. They tell me that it is correct for my Beta 43 but, having looked at it more carefully, I think it is not an exact match for the original Beta part which is currently fitted.If I was at home I could source the original Beta filter but as I am on the boat, I cannot.Can anyone confirm either way if the BT420 is correct?Thanks. Frank.

This is not the first time Midland Chandlers have claimed a filter is correct for the Beta 43. Previously they sold a Fram filter which was intended for hydraulic systems, and now they are selling a Baldwin one whose only application (according to Baldwin, who manufacturer it!) is the transmission (gearbox) on certain models of Hyster forklift truck.

OP. What filter is currently fitted?

Currently an original Beta filter, which I bought on the net while I was at home.

However I am currently out and will be for a further 3 weeks or so (till the school holidays drive me home) so have to rely on the vagaries of chandlers.

I certainly had not realised that a filter could screw on and seal properly but still be the wrong one!

Frank.

Currently an original Beta filter, which I bought on the net while I was at home.However I am currently out and will be for a further 3 weeks or so (till the school holidays drive me home) so have to rely on the vagaries of chandlers.I certainly had not realised that a filter could screw on and seal properly but still be the wrong one!Frank.

Three weeks til the school holidays drive you home? I tied up last night for that very reason and the last couple of days had me wondering if I'd left it too late!

Beta specify oil changes at 250 hours or annually, whichever is first. The annual would normally be the end of the cruising season (if that applies to you). If you're in warranty then you may not want to risk leaving a loophole, but your engine is unlikely to notice an extra month or two or a few tens of hours. Will your change not wait?

I think you make some very good points. Because an equivalent oil filter "fits" it doesn't mean it is doing the same job.

I did some research on my own engine (Vetus 415) and found various marinisers use the same engine, and at least two of them used a Baldwin filter. That was good enough for me as one used this engine for years. I have used these filters for some years now, and at one point could by 5 for the price of one Vetus item. As it is a Mitsubishi engine, it might be better to use a genuine Mitsu filter than the one Vetus replace it with from new? Just a thought.

I changed a neighbour's oil recently and removed the Vetus oil filter and replaced it with a Fram item. The Fram item and the vetus item were remarkably identical in appearance (apart from the name on the can.)

Give Filtermania of Stafford a call, brilliant service with reasonable prices. I always used them for all my filters when i had a boat.

I will second that. Excellent company and very helpful. Many of their filters that i have used have been of the Baldwin brand.