Liveable size boat

MissMax

Featured Posts

Thank you Cuthound for that. I was just reminded that i would need gas for hot water. Hope to get lessons on making sure that i definitely do the gas barrels correctly :)

If you buy so e gas leak detection fluid, like this,

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-leak-detection-fluid-250ml/53559?kpid=53559&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping%20-%20Tools-_-Shopping%20-%20Tools-_-all\tools\other_62ca6611-b46c-49dc-bcd5-ef348208a0dc&gclid=Cj0KEQjwh428BRCnvcyI-5nqjY4BEiQAijebwqU4qBsNHckZtXISR_JEloRf8Qd_JalcVogUR6e1DCcaAtlu8P8HAQ

you can check for leaks every time you change bottles. If it leaks, just tighten the connection a bit more. Easy peasy.

I live on a 40 foot cruiser stern narrowboat. When I was looking 2 years ago I got lots of advice here and people were great, as they are being for you. My input:

Not all narrowboats under £20000 are collanders! I paid £15000 for mine, and my surveyor was very impressed by its condition and said as long as I look after her she will give me many years of happy boating.

I sometimes find it difficult living in such a small space. Take into account the probably 10 feet of outside space, that leaves only 30 feet to live in. I used to live in a large extended semi house, and have always been a hoarder, so constantly have to shuffle things around or get rid when I get too much!

At only 40 feet long, my boat has everything I need, just! On entering at the stern, down the steps the settee is right there. Then there's the stove, then kitchen (double base unit either side and cooker and that's it). Next is the loo and shower, with small hanging space and drawers, then the double bed, then you climb on the bed to get out the front doors, and that's it! I would guess anything smaller than my boat would lose something, be it a permanent bed, the hanging space and drawers, or having to have the toilet sat in the shower tray. I don't think I could cope with anything smaller than my boat.

Regarding not wanting anything too big for your being a bit wonky, I've found that the smaller the boat, the more it moves around, and GRP cruisers are very wobbly compared to narrowboats. I've worked in a dry dock since buying my boat, so I've been in loads of different boats, and for someone who is slightly unsteady, I'd say bigger is better.

Good luck, hope to see you pass by someday! X

Thank you Cuthound for that. I was just reminded that i would need gas for hot water. Hope to get lessons on making sure that i definitely do the gas barrels correctly :)

My water is heated by running the engine, my gas is purely for the cooker.

It would be very easy to buy, say, a £15k 'project boat', spend £10k on necessary improvements, and end up with a boat worth £20k.

The trick is to be the person buying the £20k bargain rather than taking on the £15k money pit. IMHO that means erring on the side of buying a more expensive boat in need of less work, rather than on the side of 'keeping money back' to do up a cheap boat.

(Keeping some money back for a survey, licence and a few 'odd jobs' still makes a lot of sense, of course.)

also worth remembering to haggle over the price, you may be able to knock around 15% off the price....

aim for 20%

seller is likely to counter with 10%

meet in the middle at 15%

It's coming towards the end of the season and prices may well fall

Boats in the 40' region tend to be more expensive - folks thing that 50ft + is more difficult to handle, if paying for a marina berth - which the OP isn't - that adds continuing expense so makes them less desirable.

a bigger boat is likely to have bee built to a higher specification and have better creature comforts; for example:-

• Ebersplutter central heating (gas is poor at best and very expensive to run)
  • Fireplace better sited - rather than being crammed in
  • Full sized cooker
  • Better designed power generation

Just widen your searching a bit and see if any of the above has any validity

If you are coming down to Wilton to look at boats, give me a shout. I'm only at Milton Keynes and would be happy to give you any help or advice. I've lived aboard for over 12 years, and although im no expert, can show you how I do it. There's a lock here and if you like I can take you for a spin, as long as you don't mind dogs

• Greenie 1

good luck on your quest to find a liveaboard, being in a similar position, broken marriage, private flat renting, I'm toying with the idea of buying now rather than later, although I would need to find a permanent marina to carry on working, I'll keep a check here and see how you get on

We paid £20,000 for our narrowboat, it is 45ft has everything we need onboard, is warm and comfortable and we have been living on her for 13 months now.

Our survey was fine and up to now we have had no major issues.

If you take your time and look around there are some decent boats out there but remember to buy with your head and not your heart.

...on your original question of what's a liveable boat size: in a sense, of course, the bigger the better (more space, more storage etc.). But obviously a 37ft boat priced at £20k (say) is likely to be in better condition and/or better equipped than a 57ft boat priced at £20k. And especially on that sort of budget, there's a definite case to be made for erring on the side of a better boat rather than a bigger boat. A bigger boat in need of work - even fairly routine work like repainting - could prove to be a real money pit compared to a smaller boat in good condition and properly equipped. Go and look round some boats; you might decide that a well-planned smaller boat would be fine for you.

Another vote for a visit to Whilton Marina here. And their cafe is nice, too.

If the station is too far away, you could always just pull the communication cord on one of Sir Beardy's Virgin trains as you pass by and leap out - the line's at the side of the site (yes, I am joking...!)

At a glance, the 30ft looks neat for the money, assuming it surveys ok. That will leave you a lot of budget for any work that needs doing.

However, as someone who spent a small budget on a 30footer and then the subsequent years and funds adding to it and getting things like solar, updating the inside, sorting out issues, I am aware that regardless of what I have done to it or do in the future, the added improvements and cost I have put into it has pretty much topped out already in terms of the resale value of the boat, due to the size, age and builder.

I am fine with this, as my boat choice was largely dictated by by budget for the initial purchase, it is very comfortable for me as a liveaboard, it was a massive bargain and I have no regrets specific to this boat. My priority then and now is/was of course making the boat work for me, and making it my home, not what I might be able to sell it on for.

However, that is worth bearing in mind and making your own choice on the decision that if you have funds, getting the newest/better builder/possibly somewhat larger boat that you can afford for your budget will mean you will not hit the resale value ceiling so quickly.

I live on a 30 footer, and have for five years now. As it had no shower, bedroom etc. etc. when I got it (low budget-hull and engine priority in spend) that all had to be done, with the consequence that the very best possible use was made of the available space, so that I now have a large shower-come-wet room, separate bedroom and fixed double.

I was also considering GRP boats when I was looking around, largely because the idea of being able to get any size of steel boat within my budget seemed unrealistic-I'm sooo glad I ended up with a narrowboat though!

You say you are a bit wonky on your left side. Living on a narrowboat is very physical. Gas bottles have to be lifted and toilets emptied. Also boats do move so you need reasonable balance. Locks can be hard to work. We had to give up our boat when my husband had a stroke as I couldn't handle these tasks easily. Do try before you buy.

I started off in plastic and was too mean to stick a fire in it,and spent my first winter praying I wouldn't lose my feet or worst freeze to death,however I did have the time of my life in it and it only cost two k ,and never ever once did I step in the north wing (it was centre cockpit). However six months of freezing weather,ice on the inside and condensation drenchin my duvet was enough insentive for me to save 12k for my little narrow boat. Got a 32ft trad ,with a seperate engine room,fixed double and a living room bigger than some of my mates that have sixty foot boats. However the metal boats been a bit of a money pit,its only a cheap life style if you do no maintenance ever! Feel free to msg if you have any questions ,best wishes

I live on a 35ft boat. Built in 1998, I paid £18,000 for it 3 years ago. It has a fixed double, kitchen with 2 ring cooker, oven and grill. Small gas fridge. Shower and cassette toilet. A wardrobe that's small but me being a bloke, it's big enough. Plenty of storage under the bed and under the seating in the lounge. Ideally I'd have another area for eating as that all goes on in my living room, on the fixed table I have there. Other than that though, it's perfectly livable, providing that you get rid of most of your 'stuff', that being things you have but don't really need.

Really appreciate your posts. I did wonder about how warm a GRP would be in mid winter, i don't mind the cold when outside as long as i have a warm home. You are blooming hardcore for enduring it for that long!

I was thinking that small is easier to move and i wont have that much stuff. I have googled bigger boats and still not sure. I shall hopefully find out today about my max budget (fingers crossed)

Anyone know If a compositing toilet easy to empty in service areas?

The single most important caution is that life on board uses very little electricity. Unless you have a mooring with shoreline then electrical heating is a total no no. No Kettle no microwave, no toaster, no curling tongs or hairdryer.

Solar power can do decent electricity for lighting easily especially if using LED or CFL lamps, start to add laptops tablets game consoles etc, and fridges then there is always the possibility of running out of electricity and always at the worst time.

Boat life can be very cheap, but usually at cost of long term health (too cold for too long) or annoying CaRT who own and operate the water (overstaying on a short term mooring).

Anyone know If a compositing toilet easy to empty in service areas?

Don't see why not. Assuming you have a separating loo, the urine could just be emptied into a toilet, and I believe CRT are OK with the solids being double-bagged and left in the general refuse bins.

Hi

I've lived in and on, a 42 ft cruiser stern for the last two years.I knew nothing about boats before and it's a bit of a steep learning curve and a voyage of self discovery in the process.

IMHO the following helped me adapt ;

When it rains get a soft pencil mark the location of any leaks,when it's dry fix them

Get a stove have it warm and cosy you can cook on it as well

Have clothes you wear on the boat only

Don't make massive internal changes on your boat until you've lived it in a whilst

Get a gas cooker,grill

Have a big interest in meteorology

compost toilets are great

Living afloat is without doubt one of the best things I've done even though it was totally accidental

some info on my my blog http://fairyfriendsonanarrowboat.blogspot.co.uk/

" No Kettle no microwave, no toaster, no curling tongs or hairdryer"

Mmm, I use a (1100w) hairdryer several times a week albeit with the engine running through a 1800w inverter & we also have a small (700w) microwave which is fine for short periods, which is usually all you want it for.

Certainly wouldn't use an electric kettle or toaster though off shore power.

" No Kettle no microwave, no toaster, no curling tongs or hairdryer"

Mmm, I use a (1100w) hairdryer several times a week albeit with the engine running through a 1800w inverter & we also have a small (700w) microwave which is fine for short periods, which is usually all you want it for.

Certainly wouldn't use an electric kettle or toaster though off shore power.

Agreed - but I would just point out what was said in post No 20

Part of the learning curve - YOU DO NOT USE ELECTRICITY for heating water. You now have to very carefully plan what (electricity) you use and how you replace it.

Use of kettles, hair dryers, curling tongues, washing machines, microwaves, toasters, deep fat fryers, immersion heater etc etc requires immense pre-planning and organisation of your electrical system (number and size of batteries, engine alternator, generator,Solar panel etc)

It can be done but a boat in the price range £20k is unlikely to be set up with sufficient power to be a 'floating flat'.

Here's an idea. On the A5 (and near the M6) is Whilton Marina. It is 45 miles from Brum. It has probably the biggest collection in Britain of narrowboats for sale, and here's the good news: you can wander about unhindered, spot a few that you like, go to the office, get the keys and go and look around the insides of them, again without any sales pressure from the staff.

Not every boat there is nice. They range from smart to scruffy, from apple-pie neat to pigsty-untidy, and you'll be amazed by how many variations on external shape and interior arrangement there are. You don't need to buy from them but you'll learn a lot about what's available and what you want from a couple of hours there.

PS: in case you don't drive, the nearest station is Long Buckby, but it's quite a walk, about three miles from memory.

Except that if the OP's budget is as they state, Whilton will offer virtually nothing that meets it.

Currently they list two very short boats (25 ft and 26 ft) at £13K and £14k, but these are going to be very small for liveaboard use, particularly as they are cruiser sterned. One is under offer anyway.

Other than that the only boat advertised at under £18K is a 57 foot at £15K, but this is described as a project boat needing a full overplate, so presumably even if all it needs is the overplate, you would still be looking to spend many thousands on that.

So whilst Wilton would allow you to compare many boats, if your budget is £16K, you will not find much you could actually buy.

(OK, I realise the don't all sell at the asking prices, but equally I think with a boat at this price you couldn't afford to spend all you have, because once you have bought it you will typically have to quite quickly spend a few thousand on it).

Except that if the OP's budget is as they state, Whilton will offer virtually nothing that meets it.

Currently they list two very short boats (25 ft and 26 ft) at £13K and £14k, but these are going to be very small for liveaboard use, particularly as they are cruiser sterned. One is under offer anyway.

Other than that the only boat advertised at under £18K is a 57 foot at £15K, but this is described as a project boat needing a full overplate, so presumably even if all it needs is the overplate, you would still be looking to spend many thousands on that.

So whilst Wilton would allow you to compare many boats, if your budget is £16K, you will not find much you could actually buy.

Good research, Alan. I had not perused their sales lists before making my post.

However, being able to examine numerous boats will surely help Max to form an idea of what she likes and doesn't like: fixed bed? Reverse layout? Bathroom style? Solid fuel stove? Tongue & groove pine on the walls?

You'll have noticed that I stopped short of actually recommending that she buy a boat from them.