Is it just us?

tonyt40

Featured Posts

We have had our boat for about 3 months and in this time have twice had to pull people out of the canal. Is it a regular occurrence that people throw themselves in the canal as you walk past? The first time a dog from a boat fell in and the guy went in head first after it and somehow got stuck face down between the boat and the pilings. The dog got out,had a quick shake and carried on with its sniffing. I had to pull the guy out upside down by his belt. He was OK but a bit shocked.

Today we were at the boat and became aware that something was going off behind us. A rather (very) large lady had fallen In aided by a bottle of lambrini (classy eh?) and her friend couldn't get her out. The water where we Moor is about 9ft deep and concrete sides. The guy from opposite came to help. We couldn't lift her out.

She tried to move to a bit of the bank further down that is slightly lower but couldn't hold on and went under. Life ring deployed. It took 3 of us to drag and I mean "drag" her out. She tried to roll over to sit up and nearly went in again what a sorry sight. She explained that she was sat on the edge with her feet in and tried to spine round to get up but fell in sideways. She staggered off up the road with her very embarrassed friend leading her.

I though canals were supposed to be relaxing?

We keep an 8ft aluminium ladder on our boat with a length of rope permanently attached to help people who fall in the canal or river. I am aware that if I fall in my wife would not be able to pull me out unaided. On our current boat it has never been used but on our previous one it was used on several occasions.

It is very easy to dislocate shoulders by pulling someone by the arms - I sail dinghies and we are taught to put someone out of the water and into a boat by using their bouyancy aid.

I have fished one kid out in London, he thought a sheet of Celotex would make a good raft, An old boy on the Avon, I could see he was going to go in off the front of a boat and I was there almost as soon as fell in, It needed two of us to get him out. And a chap who fell in the canal while mooring, once we got him to the edge he could stand up but still not easy to get out.

This is why its everyone's duty to go about their business fully equipped, alert and ready for this kind of catastrophe. A bit like a St Bernard mountain rescue dog really complete with swimming trunks, a barrel of Brandy strung round the neck, a long heaving line with a loop at one end wound around the waist, a lifebuoy, smelling salts, tea making gear, rescue ladder, an oxygen cylinder and mask and first aid manual, all packed in the right order of need in a big back pack.

Edited by bizzard

This is why its everyone's duty to go about their business fully equipped, alert and ready for this kind of catastrophe. A bit like a St Bernard mountain rescue dog really complete with swimming trunks, a barrel of Brandy strung round the neck, a long heaving line with a loop at one end wound around the waist, a lifebuoy, smelling salts, tea making gear, rescue ladder, an oxygen cylinder and mask and first aid manual, all packed in the right order of need in a big back pack.

Tut, tut, tut - parachute, Bizzard? Tin opener? Swiss army Knife? Puncture repair kit

Fancy going out so poorly equipped

Richard

• Greenie 1

I have fished one kid out in London, he thought a sheet of Celotex would make a good raft, An old boy on the Avon, I could see he was going to go in off the front of a boat and I was there almost as soon as fell in, It needed two of us to get him out. And a chap who fell in the canal while mooring, once we got him to the edge he could stand up but still not easy to get out.

Don't you think that this sort of behaviour is more prevalent in a Recessioncaptain.gif

Tut, tut, tut - parachute, Bizzard? Tin opener? Swiss army Knife? Puncture repair kit

Fancy going out so poorly equipped

Richard

Ah! Goggles, wet suit, wet boots, talcum powder and towel.

As already stated, its very difficult to get anyone out of the water, especially if they're panicking. The best thing to do is have a rope handy, any rope,mooring or otherwise with a slip loop at one end, slip the loop over the victims head and under the arms and pull tight, then and moor them up to anything handy, like a lampost, mooring dolly, bollard, telegraph pole, fence, ring ect, this action will make them feel secure and safe whilst you yell out for help.

Other half has gone in once from our boat( mooring on the Ashby),twice in Gas Street when working the restaurant boats.I haven't yet...but reckon I will throw myself in soon just to get it over with !

Don't! You are only three foot four tall and will drown

Richard

Going into Loughborough basin for the Christmas banter in 2011 I did laugh when Mike31 stepped off the front end into the basin rather than the pontoon, luckily I also helped him out and the boat water was damn hot for a shower after a cruise up the Soar

. I also laughed when he pulled me out next morning after slipping off the ice covered back deck as I couldnt get out either, and the water was still warm enough for a shower!!

Edited by matty40s

Pure coincidence with this post. I have just bought some aluminium extrusions to make a DIY ladder/gangplank.

My friend fell in from the bottom gates of a lock when his dog ran round his legs causing him to trip over the lead. That was a big splash. He was able to climb out without much trouble.

My wife fell in once - leaning out as far as she could trying to help an angler unhook his fishing line tangled in some trees.

It was not easy to lift her back on board - and she was not overweight or anything like that. The worry was accidentally catching her feet in the propeller - the engine was turned off but you could get your feet wedged somehow trying to use the rudder as an improvised step.

I have fallen in twice at home working on the boat, but shallow and easy to climb out unaided.

Many years ago we hired a boat from Upton Marina - the lad showing us over the boat and going through mechanical procedures etc, fell in when demonstrating how to get on and off safely.

• Greenie 1

We have had our boat for about 3 months and in this time have twice had to pull people out of the canal. Is it a regular occurrence that people throw themselves in the canal as you walk past? The first time a dog from a boat fell in and the guy went in head first after it and somehow got stuck face down between the boat and the pilings. The dog got out,had a quick shake and carried on with its sniffing. I had to pull the guy out upside down by his belt. He was OK but a bit shocked.

Today we were at the boat and became aware that something was going off behind us. A rather (very) large lady had fallen In aided by a bottle of lambrini (classy eh?) and her friend couldn't get her out. The water where we Moor is about 9ft deep and concrete sides. The guy from opposite came to help. We couldn't lift her out.

She tried to move to a bit of the bank further down that is slightly lower but couldn't hold on and went under. Life ring deployed. It took 3 of us to drag and I mean "drag" her out. She tried to roll over to sit up and nearly went in again what a sorry sight. She explained that she was sat on the edge with her feet in and tried to spine round to get up but fell in sideways. She staggered off up the road with her very embarrassed friend leading her.

I though canals were supposed to be relaxing?

I do think you've been very unlucky. In seven years of living aboard we've never had to fish any strangers out of the water (have given helping hands to my dad and a friend when they've slipped off the bank, but that's a bit different). Hopefully you've had your quota for some time to come :)

As already stated, its very difficult to get anyone out of the water, especially if they're panicking. The best thing to do is have a rope handy, any rope,mooring or otherwise with a slip loop at one end, slip the loop over the victims head and under the arms and pull tight, then and moor them up to anything handy, like a lampost, mooring dolly, bollard, telegraph pole, fence, ring ect, this action will make them feel secure and safe whilst you yell out for help.

Not a slip loop, please. People have died with slip loops around the chest restricting their breathing. Use a bowline to create the loop.

Nick

Falling in in summer can be a jolly japes. Falling in in winter with no one around is less fun. Do read the Nearly Drowned topic.

Nick

Very true, a couple of winters ago we had a drowning in our basin. The Chap slipped in late at night and was found floating in the morning, late, cold , dark and nobody up and awake to hear him calling out, very sad.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Many years ago we hired a boat from Upton Marina - the lad showing us over the boat and going through mechanical procedures etc, fell in when demonstrating how to get on and off safely.

Extra classic!

Saw a brilliant one in Swanse Marina a few (many?) years ago.

So it's a wet day, a small GRP cruiser appoaches the pontoon bow-first, and a bloke wearing leather-soled shoes jumps off the front with the mooring line.

And promptly does a Robin Cousins impression as he ice-skates gracefully across the full width of the pontoon and disappears into the drink the other side.

Cue hysterical laughter from the onlookers...