Chimney chain..?

rivergate

Featured Posts

Has anybody purchased these items as I am interested to know the quality of the clips captain.gif

Had this email today:

Hello,

Further to the above order. Unfortunately we are currently out of stock of BC647. We will be out of stock of this item for approximately 2-3 weeks. Do you wish to keep the order on file? Please let us know.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused

Customer Services.

Soldier of Fortune

Euro House,

13 Tyn Y Llidiart Ind Est.

Corwen

Denbighshire

TEL: 01490 412225

FAX: 01490 412205

We will be driving through Corwen in a couple of weeks time, may pay them a visit.

No I haven't. Which is silly, I know.

Nor any of the other former BCN Boatmen I know. Sadly, fewer than they were.

That will be the project for the autumn BCN visit to Tipton Community & Canal Festival and the Historic Boat Gathering at Park Head and a few idle days in Cambrian Wharf.

I also need to know more about this boat in her working days on the BCN.

Thanks.

James

No I haven't. Which is silly, I know.

Nor any of the other former BCN Boatmen I know. Sadly, fewer than they were.

That will be the project for the autumn BCN visit to Tipton Community & Canal Festival and the Historic Boat Gathering at Park Head and a few idle days in Cambrian Wharf.

I also need to know more about this boat in her working days on the BCN.

Thanks.

James

I have a photo somewhere of three guys at Bradley workshop when it was still the BCN from my grandads family pics, I think thats where I have see the middle guy before but until I find it I cant be sure. Sadly theres no one left for me to show it to either because Im sure they would have known all of them, if I find the pic and it is the guy I will let you know. It has names on the back which is unusual.

Laurence might be able to put you in touch with some other BCN boatmen who could help, youve seen this from my site that Paul researched I presume.

Marquis was sold off by FMC in 1942 to Joseph Holloway of Oldbury (where Allen Brothers used to be) and as far as I knew disappeared until about 1970! Well its been hard work but I have managed to fill in some gaps. It now appears it was renamed "Sally" and sold at some stage to W. J. Haywood of Tipton who still had it in 1957. Joe Holloway's wife was called Sally so I presume it was renamed by him. (He also had the Helen built by Harris's later passing it to Leonard Leigh and this was presumably named after a daughter.) At one time it had a 20hp (yes 20hp!) Bolinder which is now at Ellesmere Port Museum but in 1957 this was replaced by the present FR3. In about 1960/61 it was converted (appallingly) by, I think, Jim Yates. At some time between 1957 and 1961 it was shortened, probably by Harris's as it has the big chunky slightly oval towing studs they used to fit. In about 1964 it was renamed Calypso, reverting to Marquis in 1974 when it was reconverted by Malcolm Braine. Haywoods incidentally were a colliery owners who also had a number of joeys and an ex-Elements little Ricky motor (King or Prince something I think)

• Greenie 1

I showed this picture to Mike Humphris today and he thought the gent on the left might be a "Carter."

He didn't recognise the other two though.

To add to mike's guess I think the middle person has the look of the Bunn canal family, Just my thoughts, att photo is taken with cousin freddy Bunn can anyone else see a likeness ??

Still on the Bunn family I am almost sure that a Bunn had Marquis about early 1940's

post-8273-0-45489200-1468595585_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The chrome clips are the older (MKV) the MK VI with only one flap is an odd one. There was an update to the late MKVs with and extra part added making it like a MKVI and I think this was a Va but maybe just using odd older bags - who knows - not I. Pictures help though as I am a visual kind of fellow.

The Siebe & Gorman & Co would be interesting to see then we could tell if a MK V etc.

PS I don't know what the 71 & 72 is for surety.

Not mk Va but V-C, sorry. V for 5 and C for converted.

Edited by fittie

Some parts turned up today. 2 d links like above and some later ones with no d ring that had the cotton bit in to hold the d its a start.

Might it we worth a big bulk order buy us all to them above as i was buying just the links at 7.50 if they had a big order say 100 of these straps we may get the price down to say 7-8 a strap makes them 3-4 a link bargin. Might be worth waiting a few weeks see if the quality is any good though

Some parts turned up today. 2 d links like above and some later ones with no d ring that had the cotton bit in to hold the d its a start.

Might it we worth a big bulk order buy us all to them above as i was buying just the links at 7.50 if they had a big order say 100 of these straps we may get the price down to say 7-8 a strap makes them 3-4 a link bargin. Might be worth waiting a few weeks see if the quality is any good though

Is it these off eBay?

My view is that the quality is more important than the price, but these links still need to be a moderately sensible price.

I have my doubts about the £10.00 straps now it has been identified that they are made in India, and I am not sure I want to financially support these products as they are so cheap I am picturing them being made in a 'sweat shop' of some kind with little regard to safety.

Are the £7.50 links you have previously discussed in the Items for Sale Forum made abroad ?

edit = add a few words here and there captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

Wot no rosette?

Need some of these:

Thanks ray but I'm not keen on rosettes.

I already have an original, and it is specifically a reproduction link chain I am after.

I am tempted though :captain:

Pete I don't think I could bring myself to part with them,

Darren

Sim to these but mine dont have the d links in but the others i have have the brass wrapped around the d link but just the one solid bit wrapped round the link not a separate brass spacing. Same as the 3 chains together listed on here (ones in the middle)

Yes the ones i am waiting for a sample before i order the 40 are made abroad but arnt from the same people who make the hole strap but will more than likley be from the same supplyer but cant conferm this. I did look at going threw the soldier place but they refused to do just the links although the links they use look good quality i havent seen one in person to compare with an original (which i do have) i have seen and owned all 3 types of the originals.

I think as long as the quality is good enough any supplyer has to be worth looking into for these type of fittings.

Edited by billybobbooth

I realise they wont have the same heratige but as once i find good quality copies then i dont think alot of people would mind as long as the price is low enough.

I on the other hand want the heratage hence why my one will be made from proper ones not copies.

But again if the links look close enough and i ever need to add a link i might be able to use one.

Any ways ill be getting them in at the end of august once my 40 arrive ill put up a pic

Yes the ones i am waiting for a sample before i order the 40 are made abroad but arnt from the same people who make the hole strap but will more than likley be from the same supplyer

I am getting mixed messages here as on 23 July you stated that you are getting 40 links in at the end of August, yet now you are saying you are awaiting samples before you place your order for 40 links.

edit = I am hoping you are going to make this order work as I think you will have a market for these links, even though the market will be limited captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

I have 40 on order not paid for but ordered threw the supplyer i have paid for 1 my sample as soon as the batch are in they will send me the one if im happy i pay for the rest but they are reserved for me. If im not happy i dont pay for the rest. I should have them in end of august.

I can order more than 40 but might not get more than 40 in this order but will be garenteed a minimum max of 40 this time round. I dont have to pay till they have them in stock. One of the reasons im using them as others wanted the money upfront for the order then couldnt garentee me a date or even delivery.

The market maybe small but there will be a market.

All money raised will go into the boat so i see it as worth selling if i can raise enough for a tin of paint it all helps keep towy going. The more i raise the more work i can do.

Sorry to ask but what is it about these links? I know that Pete is looking for a copy as the overall chain is "cleaner" because the fold to the D ring is on the same side as the hook - I get that but Darren's 2 chains on the outside are't quite right. Is this because someone has fiddled with all but the top links or because they were never on a gas mask bag in the first place and does it matter? They look great anyway and as he says that they were on a boat back in the day. Is that more important than them being liberated from old gas mask bags?

So what makes them genuine?

Is it that they were used back in the day on a boat or that they came from old GMBs?

Are the chains Pete is looking for just as genuine as any other because they were used back in, his and mine, day?

Just asking.

Sorry to ask but what is it about these links? I know that Pete is looking for a copy as the overall chain is "cleaner" because the fold to the D ring is on the same side as the hook - I get that but Darren's 2 chains on the outside are't quite right. Is this because someone has fiddled with all but the top links or because they were never on a gas mask bag in the first place and does it matter? They look great anyway and as he says that they were on a boat back in the day. Is that more important than them being liberated from old gas mask bags?

So what makes them genuine?

Is it that they were used back in the day on a boat or that they came from old GMBs?

Are the chains Pete is looking for just as genuine as any other because they were used back in, his and mine, day?

Just asking.

The double link chains were opened up and turned at some point in its life. All links are 100% genuine, one from a GU family of the boats and the other two from my nans. Quite a few if you look we're opened up and turned, good examples are in Sonia rolts book "a canal people"

Darren