Chimney chain..?

rivergate

Featured Posts

The bags I have:

SIEBE & GORMAN & Co LTD London. Opening flap on one side only.

L & A.H. 1941 with "71" above.

VI ROVAC 1941 with "72" and WD arrow

Two type VI's "C" 1940 plus a triangle in each case, I can't decipher. One has only got an opening flap on one side.

Plus one with chrome and cloth clips but any makers information has long since faded.

Talk about nerdish!!!!

Edited by Ray T

The chrome clips are the older (MKV) the MK VI with only one flap is an odd one. There was an update to the late MKVs with and extra part added making it like a MKVI and I think this was a Va but maybe just using odd older bags - who knows - not I. Pictures help though as I am a visual kind of fellow.

The Siebe & Gorman & Co would be interesting to see then we could tell if a MK V etc.

PS I don't know what the 71 & 72 is for surety.

Edited by fittie

Oooooooh, I've always wanted one of...my wife will kill me.

But on a different tack

MKVI-Neck-strap-260215.JPG

copies of mk VI straps with clips £10 pounds each making a chimney chain £40 to £50 + p&p for 8 to 10 links

and no bags need be harmed in the process.

And yes there is a Mrs F.

Are you selling these, or do you know of somebody / somewhere that is ?

is this fun/interesting or is it just me...oh, just me.

I must get a life or a boat.

It may just be you, although this thread is sorta showing its not

On the other hand I love that people have this level of interest in a seemingly trivial bit of history

Im a tree geek of a high order and can spend days talking about the things

:)

Here's another SALLY. Took this some time in the late eighties heading for BCLM.

attachicon.gifSALLY Gen 118 (Medium).jpg

Don Payne's Sally was nicely turned out in the mid 70s, and still carrying the occasional load when Don could find one.

I last saw her sunk on the offside of the Dudley at Tipton, which is presumably where you saw her. I don't suppose there's much left of her now.

Don Payne's Sally was nicely turned out in the mid 70s, and still carrying the occasional load when Don could find one.

I last saw her sunk on the offside of the Dudley at Tipton, which is presumably where you saw her. I don't suppose there's much left of her now.

I used to borrow the rudder off SALLY now and again when moving day boats around the B.C.N., with Don's permission of course captain.gif

Thank you for sharing all your amazing knowledge in this thread - I will place an order for the links above and see what they are like.. smile.png

Cheers

and be sure to let us know as I think they might sell a few if they are of reasonable quality, but to be honest at that price I am not too hopeful captain.gif

These used to sell reproduction clips, http://www.springfields.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/2419, which were of good quality.

Original LHS reproduction RHS.

I did put a micrometer on them and the repro was 1.0 mill thinner.

A couple of weeks ago I met a couple of retired working boaters at Coventry Basin on their leisure boat. The chimney chain had followed them from their working days.

I thought the links weren't "pukka" as they were very thin. It was only then I realised they were that thin, about half there original width, as they had been polished many many times.

Also the "ribs" on the beehive rosettes were likewise almost worn flat.

Edited by Ray T

I am now tempted to rummage through the bags in the numerous charity shops I visit with the misses and offspring. We go to every cherry tea shop we come across so I may as well have a look while she is going through the womens and childrens section.

You never know !

I imagine people occasionally use the old gas mask bags for general carrying of items. Probably not an ideal handbag but could be quite a masculine man bag :rolleyes:

I am now tempted to rummage through the bags in the numerous charity shops I visit with the misses and offspring. We go to every cherry tea shop we come across so I may as well have a look while she is going through the womens and childrens section.

You never know !

I imagine people occasionally use the old gas mask bags for general carrying of items. Probably not an ideal handbag but could be quite a masculine man bag rolleyes.gif

Been looking for years and only found one and that was on a market stall.

There are some about but almost invariably the newer types without clips. sad.png

George ex nb Alton retired

Looking at Ray T's pictures above it does not appear to be 'rocket science' to make pretty good copies. I guess the time taken to cut, file and fold the brass would make it pretty pointless though to be fair as it is not exactly a high value item..

Edites for manual correction of autocorrect error

Edited by magnetman

Several years ago I made a replica chain using brass strip and rod for the D rings. None of it was difficult, save for wrapping the link around the D ring. I'm told that a fly press would have been used originally, I had to make do with a block of steel and a hammer! They remain hidden in the workshop's bowels, wouldn't put them on the boat.

Dave

The bags are great to use day to day, they last and you can put then in the wash. I've had mine since art college way back in '81 the strap has gone but I got 2 links for my chain so it was win win. My daughter uses one at uni and there are companies making copies as a fashion bags to this day, silly prices though! Some of this is due to the Indiana Jones factor. (W & G MK VII if anyone wants to know and making them £10 more than other MK VIIs)

There are some old bags coming on the market for old ex-army stores from around the old empire it just takes a lot of looking. Tatty ones do come up on eBay for around a tenner.

I have been told that a real 10 link chain is getting close to £200 so it is worth spending time looking.

I really must leave... and get a life.

Here's my chain.

20160713_084418_zpsm2wb1fxs.jpg

Gifted to me recently by a well known boater who obviously felt sorry for me whilst watching me try and cobble together a chimney chain from a leather strap and some old brass rosettes.

It's a reproduction, made in the 80's by somebody apparently. It may only be a repro, but the fact it was gifted in good faith will ensure i treasure it.

I wonder if it one of the Doug Greaves chains Pete Harrison is referring to?

I know an original one changed hands recently for £100, so i guess that is the going rate these days for a real one?

Edited by junior

The correct type of chain for "Progress" would have been plain ordinary iron chain. BCN traditions were utilarian and the decorative brassware was notably absent.

One of Haywards tugs with its crew:

gallery_5000_522_107636.jpg

Nice and shiny!!

I showed this picture to Mike Humphris today and he thought the gent on the left might be a "Carter."

He didn't recognise the other two though.