Chimney chain..?

rivergate

Featured Posts

Not fully finished but almost on part 1 needs a good polish out.

All copied from an original.

I'm still not 100% happy with my centre join,

If any one has an early one can the measure the thickness of the brass joint between the d link and this clip. I've made mine a little narrower but it the thickness I've not got. I took mine apart along time ago and now can't find the middle bit, I have the d link and clip to copy

20201216_155302.jpg

20201216_155322.jpg

20201216_155352.jpg

20201216_155420.jpg

12 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Matty, I think he’s talking about the more complex double link where a rolled strip joins the D ring to the clip

Yes that the ones, I've got the simple ones I've got lots of these infact I have 2 sets and a few spares of these its the double link ones I only had 1 of and had to cut it up to make my new ones, jigs are all made to make the hook and the d link but the middle link I can't find.

I have photos but no thickness measurements

Edited by billybobbooth

9 minutes ago, dave moore said:

My callipers make it 1.5mm or 0.06”. 

B4B6D4B1-3252-44D1-A1D1-20457E70A3A2.jpeg

Thanks I've got 2mm, you have one off the odd backwards ones, i could never work out why some have the middle this way or the flat bit on the other way.

I'll stick with 2mm then and see how I get on. Your looked a little narrow too bit like mine was some have a really wide center.

Thanks dave

I suspect that individual differences were down to particular manufacturers. As long as they did the job, what matter? As an aside, I do find folk asking for “ rules “ where things traditional are concerned to be missing the point a little....colours, side of shading are 2 examples that spring to mind in my signwriting field. Although the general layout, for example, would be specified, the actual interpretation was often done to whoever did the job on the day, much like our clips. Back in the day when I taught painting over a weekend, I remember being asked for the “ rule” of how many petals a daisy should have...work round and fill the space was my reply, not the expected one I surmise. Cheers all!

• Greenie 1

I’ve just had a look at all of the double style links I have. Without exception, all have the middle section facing the same way, I’ve never seen any with it reversed. I’m interested in how you intend to fold the middle section around the D ring and clip end, I’m sure they were pressed over in the originals.

Dave

9 minutes ago, dave moore said:

I’ve just had a look at all of the double style links I have. Without exception, all have the middle section facing the same way, I’ve never seen any with it reversed. I’m interested in how you intend to fold the middle section around the D ring and clip end, I’m sure they were pressed over in the originals.

Dave

I have a jig to do this its a steel jig with leather inserts to protect the brass, all parts a fully sanded then polished before bending, then once everything is shaped and then republished. It also allows me not to have to hammer (press) marks and keeps all bends constant flow (no odd flat spots on the bends)

I have jigs for the d link and jigs for cutting and for the 2 parts of the link. Everything is hand made, but the jigs help to get everything all the same i know you do get verified parts but I find people these days expect every mm of items to be the same.

I did a chimney a while back all hand rolled and hand riveted due to hand riveting each were very slightly different the 3 brass rings and the half round again were wrapped drilled then individually riveted and then slid over and tapped on.

They guy I sold and made it for returned it as the rivets as he said (dented and not all smooth) and the gap between the rings was not constant when I measured the ring position spacing there was 1.5mm difference between the 2 gaps between the 3 rings and the top half round was the same gap as the top ring gap. I later sold it and the next buyer was happy.

23 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Dave

If you look at Sarah's on ebay they are the other way around in the middle

Screenshot_20201201-135214_eBay.jpg

It's my understanding that some boatmen carefully opened up the middle sections, turned them round then closed them down again. Then when the chain was hung on the chimney with the hooks inward it looked neater and was easier to polish. It was an ex-boatman that told me this, not certain who but it could have been George Wain.

• Greenie 1

59 minutes ago, Ray T said:

It doesn't have to be gas mask links, Chimney from Albert & Emma Russon's boat.

This is the only working boat I have seen with a "coolie" hat. Pictures that is, not real life. :D

Probably from horse tack chain. 

5a5959e264608_20180113_002449_001(1).jpg.7730e90b218264865c9f44bae50393d6.jpg

Albert & Emma Russon.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Peacock has the same sort of chain but black iron.

I'm trying to see if a local guy will copy a photo of the chain, I but I would say that was a fmc supplied chimney and chain as its the same as on Peacock and both the upper loop and lower loops are the same as the pics

9 minutes ago, David Mack said:

There was a discussion on the forum a while back about black iron twisted link chimney chains. Someone here made up a copy using something like horse track chain spray painted black.

I made one from dog choke chain

8 hours ago, Ray T said:

It doesn't have to be gas mask links, Chimney from Albert & Emma Russon's boat.

This is the only working boat I have seen with a "coolie" hat. Pictures that is, not real life. :D

Probably from horse tack chain. 

5a5959e264608_20180113_002449_001(1).jpg.7730e90b218264865c9f44bae50393d6.jpg

Albert & Emma Russon.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

There is one of those chains on ebay at the moment for £20.

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Derek R. said:

Welcome Graham.

I know the format has changed and there are some discrepencies such as the loss of post numbers - can we have them back please?

But now I see the 'edit' function has gone. Why?

And at the foot of 'juniors' last post (cant give the NUMBER!) there is the statement "2 months later" over a greyed background. I think we are all quite capable of reading the date on the previous post.

There was precious little wrong with the previous format, these latest changes are simply unecessary and a little inconvenient.

7 hours ago, David Mack said:

Not gone, just moved. Edit is behind the three dots top right on each post.

All I get from those three dots is a menu of "Report" or "Share". No edit facility.

Scrub that! I just got an addition pop up : - "Edit". I must have been half asleep.

Hang on - I just went back to my previous post made 8hrs ago, and find the 'Edit' facility not there. So there must be a time limit on editing your own post.

Is it shown anywhere? How long is it?

Edited by Derek R.

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

All I get from those three dots is a menu of "Report" or "Share". No edit facility.

Scrub that! I just got an addition pop up : - "Edit". I must have been half asleep.

Hang on - I just went back to my previous post made 8hrs ago, and find the 'Edit' facility not there. So there must be a time limit on editing your own post.

Is it shown anywhere? How long is it?

I think the edit facility was only available for an hour on the previous incarnation.