Narrowboat Trust

nomad - tuttle hill

Featured Posts

Seconded!

I joined the NBT in January in order to do more boating after my retirement in April, and am really enjoying it. They struggle to get enough crew to keep going, but somehow Barry manages to get enough bodies aboard for each trip to happen. It's not like normal boating, it's a pair of 70+ foot boats of which a lot of space is taken up by coal, and the boats don't have all mod cons which puts some people off, but they're comfortable enough. We move to a schedule so sometimes do quite a long day, but it's a great experience to learn how to operate a working pair of boats, and a very cheap way to get a canal holiday! Some of the work is quite physical, but we have a mix of crew who all help out according to their abilities; I'm 61 but still strong enough to do bow hauling to get the butty in and out of locks. I haven't tried unloading coal yet, but will later this month...

The NBT is doing two coal runs this year, the first starting this week is down the GU, up the Thames, then back up the Oxford canal, and the second in September/October is the other way around. Some places on those are still available; go on, you know you want to! The website is:

http://www.narrowboattrust.org.uk/index.shtml

I wish i had more experience, that sounds a fantastic opportunity.

I wouldn't let that put you off too much, it helps if you've done some boating before but as I understand it the NBT would allow even a total beginner out so long as the boats had enough other crew on the run to cope, and the person was willing to get stuck in and start learning stuff.

I've just heard that we're still one short for next week's run starting on Saturday 16th near Wolverhampton, so if someone gets their skates on there's time to join and be on that. The three of us who are lined up so far can do it, but having a fourth person would make life easier.

They are not looking for any summer crew, October yes but not summer. Oh, and £20 to join, £10 if 60 and over.

Misleading - they are always looking for new crew members irrespective of whether or not a particular run has sufficient volunteers. Prospective members always welcome on the boats.

Edited by twbm

The thing is the OP says,

"Narrowboat Trust - looking for new crew members to crew pair of working boats , Summer Coal run from Wolverhampton to London area vis Oxford ."

Now you can join when ever you like but...

I am only available at set times of the year, summer being one, and they are not looking for crew for a coal run this summer!

So nothing misleading as I was answering the OP!