Dutch coastal shipping 1955

Derek R.

Featured Posts

I make no apologies for this, but cannot resist posting as it follows a lifestyle as much as anything else. It starts with shots of ship-building, then onto a young chap messing about, getting into trouble, then setting off to merchant college where he peels spuds; darns socks, and much else. It follows his passage on board a coaster, and the skippers family whose little girl gets to work too.

A charming cameo of life aboard a Dutch coaster. 37 minutes duration. All narration is in Dutch, but it matters not:

Edited by Derek R.
  • Greenie 1

The little girl often wears clogs in the film. Clogs (klompen) continue to be worn by all ages here in the Groningen district. There's a technique to walking in them that is learnt from an early age so you often see children in them. They are used in the garden, in the fields, to nip to the shops, and also for work as they meet all the H&S criteria! Mainly mass made by machine these days although there are a few artisan makers still trading, carrying on the personal style and pattern developed by their grandfathers.

Edited by wandering snail

• 2 weeks later...

Very fine - thank you for this. The WEST HINDER lightship which features near the start of their voyage is now a visitor attraction, I think, in Zeebrugge (Belgium): http://www.seafront.be/?pageID=4&taal=UK

The lightship near the end is the DAUNT - off Ireland I think?? https://www.rnli.org/aboutus/historyandheritage/Pages/timeline/1936-the-daunt-rock-rescue.aspx

Where do you think they went to? North Africa somewhere?

Edited by Scholar Gypsy