Which restoration project would you back and why?

DrBurkstrom

Featured Posts

I would like to build the West Haughton to Littleborough Canal and restore the M&BB as part of the process, thus making a new ring or two :-)

Easy Wins

Runcorn Locks

Avon extension

MK and Bedford

Bradley

High cost high Gain wins

Lichfield

T&S

Lapal

Must dos

Gratham

Cromford

--

Cheers Ian Mac

I would have thought the Lapal is one of the more difficult schemes. Any easy restoration as far as California, but then there is the problem of the tunnel which Atkins advised was unviable. The plan now is to go over the top with a brand new cut.

What I would like to see is drips. Currently a project is only doable if there is a deluge. Of cash. A lot of these projects are desirable for the long term and it would still be good to do them if it takes 50 years to get them done. Mmm, that's not very clear.

Suppose there are 5 desirable projects and none of them can be started unless there is £10M available, so we wait for eternity and they never get built.

Suppose there are 5 desirable projects and a steady £0.5M is given to them every year, despite in project terms there being no benefit whatsoever. Then in only half-eternity we get them done.

What I'm looking for is a mechanism for accumulating cash in small steady amounts for projects that are totally uneconomic at any one time but nice to have over hundreds of years. Mmm, not a lot better, but there you go.

What I would like to see is drips. Currently a project is only doable if there is a deluge. Of cash. A lot of these projects are desirable for the long term and it would still be good to do them if it takes 50 years to get them done. Mmm, that's not very clear.

Suppose there are 5 desirable projects and none of them can be started unless there is £10M available, so we wait for eternity and they never get built.

Suppose there are 5 desirable projects and a steady £0.5M is given to them every year, despite in project terms there being no benefit whatsoever. Then in only half-eternity we get them done.

What I'm looking for is a mechanism for accumulating cash in small steady amounts for projects that are totally uneconomic at any one time but nice to have over hundreds of years. Mmm, not a lot better, but there you go.

A pretty good summary of the current funding situation.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

If half a million pounds is of no benefit whatsoever to the project, then its managers need to be replaced.

If half a million pounds is of no benefit whatsoever to the project, then its managers need to be replaced.

I think its a hypothetical. But your right money can is often misappropriated within charity organisations. Problem is that they rely on voluntary input from people who may have loads of enthusiasm but lack business acumen. Have witnessed that personally.

• 3 months later...

The widening of Watford locks and rebuilding the Inclined Plane at Foxton to provide a widebeam route North and South

...would use up money which could instead be used, for example, to finish the Ashby Canal restoration. The loony plan to rebuild the inclined plane has, thank goodness, been abandoned.

Now, where were we?

The Wilts & Berks, because I want to go on it.

The Cotswold Canals, because I want to go on them.

(As a member of both, I do put a modest amount of money where my gob is).

• 3 years later...
On 18/10/2016 at 17:11, Athy said:

...would use up money which could instead be used, for example, to finish the Ashby Canal restoration. The loony plan to rebuild the inclined plane has, thank goodness, been abandoned.

Now, where were we?

The Wilts & Berks, because I want to go on it.

The Cotswold Canals, because I want to go on them.

(As a member of both, I do put a modest amount of money where my gob is).

I’ve been following the Cotswold for a while, it’s exciting times.

I’ve been a Member of the wilts and berks for some time, I’ve been volunteering for a few months as well, it’s a fantastic project 

• Greenie 1

59 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Wilts and Berks. If and when completed will create a ring.

I think if the M4 tunnel gets done it all becomes quite achievable. That links up 2 decent stretches in swindon and Wootton Bassett. This then connects to the new development areas in swindon and there’s talk of further in Bassett on a housing development on land to the west. That might push the melksham link and Destination lacock a little harder which gives another very long stretch. Then the momentum is there and it’s just picking up the pieces 

• Greenie 1

Purely personal and selfish reasons for these.

Herefordshire and Gloucestershire Canal. I mostly grew up near one end of this.

Dearne and Dove Canal. Would give a new cruising ring near where I moor now.

And a new navigation, rather than a restoration, so probably doesn't count for this topic, the River Rother link between Rotherham and the Chesterfield Canal. Another new cruising ring near to where I moor now, once the Chesterfield is fully restored, so I'd better add the Chesterfield Canal gap too.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

• 2 weeks later...

Hm, I think I should join in! 

My Top Ten - a very personal list, in rough order of preference:

1. Hatherton branch 

2. Sankey (as much as feasible)

3. Lichfield

4. Finish the "Montgomery"

5. Newport and Shrewsbury - will have to find parts of this first!

6. Newry Canal

7. Finish the Chesterfield

8. Swansea, Neath and Tennant (connecting these up)

9. Stroudwater Thames & Severn

10. Lagan Navigation

But - realistically, anything which can get funding, plenty of support, and can get completed while I'm still around!

And - in all seriousness, conservation of structures ahead of formal restoration of navigation by powered boats, just in case the latter becomes impossible or is never forthcoming. So any conservation, and maybe short navigable lengths is supported in the medium term.

Interesting task, making lists!

Joseph