Which restoration project would you back and why?

DrBurkstrom

Featured Posts

So far most research and preparation for my future life afloat has been confined to the interweb and some practical experience. Today though, I happened to pick up a copy of Waterways World and was intrigued by their "Canals of the Future" feature - a series of articles written as though it was 2040, 2050 or whatever, describing waterways that have been re-opened or even new ones built.

So I thought this might be an interesting discussion, since there are proposed restoration projects with varying chances of success and at various stages of progress all over the country. If you could pick one or two to fund to instant completion, what would you do and why?

Personally the Thames and Severn canal to give a route from Gloucester to Oxford without having to come round the tidal stretch to Bristol giving a good long ring to cruise.

• Greenie 2

Fenland Waterways Link and Welches Dam.

The first would open up East Anglia and Lincolnshire without having to nip across the wash (for those of us with a beam greater than 7')

The second would give a second route to the Great Ouse and restore some lost cruising ground.

Edited by gazza

Runcorn Locks - an easy win ones the Mersey Gateway is completed.

The Lichfield and Hatherton as it opens up the northern BCN

The lower reaches of the river Wreake.

Others should not be have money wasted on them as they may never re-open

Strategically the Thames and Severn/North Wilts/Western Wilts and Berks makes sense to avoid the K and A being such a long dead end

There are other strategic arguments e.g. anything connected to the K and A west of Devizes (Wilts and Berks, Coal Canal, Dorset amd Somerset although that was never actually finished in the first place) would give more water from Bath without going up Caen Hill

Other obvious holes in the network are the Bedford M-K and the Shrewsbury canal, one connects two waterways that are within a few miles of each other, another extends the canal system to an already popular tourist destination

We need to be cautious of more waterways where there are already plenty, and also of very long dead ends, although I think short dead ends, e.g the Maidenhead scheme have great value

from a purely selfish POV you can keep the MK to Bedford link

We are still regarded as the land of dragons which helps keep the numbers of over length boats hogging the limited mooring space on the Nene and Ouse down a bit :)

We are still regarded as the land of dragons which helps keep the numbers of over length boats hogging the limited mooring space on the Nene and Ouse down a bit smile.png

Well, having said t stragetically makes sense I'll now say I don't think it will happen any time soon, if ever

My feeling as someone who works in the field is that small schemes that aren't that expensive will come forward in the next 20 years, and they will need to deliver distinct local benefits that may not have that much to do with boating. There isn't the money for the big schemes

Coal Canal as far as Combe Hay would provide moorings near Bath

Stroudwater canal to Framilode could host a marina, as could the Cambridge Arm

The Anglian Rivers are easy, especially of Brexit means a relaxation of the Wtaer Framework Directive (this is a long shot!)

You get the idea

I guess the Stroudwater Navigation. My father has been a member and has been following the restoration project ever since I remember. I recall him taking me to various lock restorations as a kid. Would be nice to see it open though they recently failed in their funding bid yet again... Frustrating to say the least! A board reshuffle is well overdue I think!

Are there any canal restoration projects which are due for completion in the near future?

Well, having said t stragetically makes sense I'll now say I don't think it will happen any time soon, if ever

My feeling as someone who works in the field is that small schemes that aren't that expensive will come forward in the next 20 years, and they will need to deliver distinct local benefits that may not have that much to do with boating. There isn't the money for the big schemes

The Anglian Rivers are easy, especially of Brexit means a relaxation of the Wtaer Framework Directive (this is a long shot!)

You get the idea

Yes, that's the feeling we have here too! There's lots of fiddling and talk, but I can't help but feel the huge amount of money needed to get over the hill at Marston Moretain kills it stone dead.

The one that is a shame is the abandonment of Welches dam by the EA. Project Hereward has a good aim, whether they can hit the target remains to be seen.

As for the fen waterways link, last I heard was archeological issues with the Car Dyke would make it a stillborn project.

One can but dream though :)

You get the idea

Will Brexit affect funding for restoration schemes heavily?

Its in the long term plan, well considered at least - if they ever get there.

I think the riparian owners are (or were last I heard) heavily against it, not sure whether its extraction, flooding or fishing worries they are using as a reason though.

Restoring Canals has the benefit of adding new miles to the network

Useful restoration in the Midlands include Lapal, Bradley and Lichfield, because they would all add useful cruising routes and more importantly open up waterways less well used.

Shrewsbury Newport went for the lottery route. I seem to recall one of the trust officials saying about EU funding being so difficult to get it wasn't worth the effort.

That surprises me as we easily 'won' half a million for a village hall restoration population 2000, for something that would benefit much larger numbers Id have thought the reasons to provide funding were many and obvious.

Mind you our project was pre 2008, the Olympics did short out most EU and lottery funding for many projects.

Wow, this has kicked off a bit. Lots of interesting stuff. I think the MK to Bedford waterway seems like a good idea - from the little research I've done it looks like it got really close and then stalled - it's been in all the local area development plans for about 20 years, so there are clearly some people still think it's a good idea.

From a practical point of view, there was apparently at one point a plan to connect the Slough arm directly to the Thames. I find this an interesting one, it could create a lot of viable mooring space within commuting distance of London, but whether that's something that should be done is perhaps debatable.

Wow, this has kicked off a bit. Lots of interesting stuff. I think the MK to Bedford waterway seems like a good idea - from the little research I've done it looks like it got really close and then stalled - it's been in all the local area development plans for about 20 years, so there are clearly some people still think it's a good idea.

From a practical point of view, there was apparently at one point a plan to connect the Slough arm directly to the Thames. I find this an interesting one, it could create a lot of viable mooring space within commuting distance of London, but whether that's something that should be done is perhaps debatable.

Once they're over the hump at Marston Moretaine there is the issue of naff all air draft under the railway bridge in Bedford to consider.

Bedford would also need to reconsider the rowers having first dibs on the embankment bar for a weekend every two years for the river festival.

For a county town it really does not do its attractive waterfront justice.

Once they're over the hump at Marston Moretaine there is the issue of naff all air draft under the railway bridge in Bedford to consider.

Bedford would also need to reconsider the rowers having first dibs on the embankment bar for a weekend every two years for the river festival.

For a county town it really does not do its attractive waterfront justice.

It seems to be bridges that are the main obstacle for a lot of restoration projects as well. Since you're not allowed to build new humpback bridges, anywhere that a new road bridge has been built over an abandoned and overgrown canal path you've pretty much killed the project (or at least added a few million quid to the cost).

It seems to be bridges that are the main obstacle for a lot of restoration projects as well. Since you're not allowed to build new humpback bridges, anywhere that a new road bridge has been built over an abandoned and overgrown canal path you've pretty much killed the project (or at least added a few million quid to the cost).

Yes, you are spot on, I haven't looked recently if the Grantham canal society managed to have a new road bridge being built that otherwise would have stopped any chance of continuing their restoration.

http://m.granthamjournal.co.uk/sport/grantham-canal-society-campaign-against-a46-plans-1-357605

Edited by gazza

I'm going a bit sideways. I would like to see the development of tunneling techniques. There are several schemes that need tunnels - the Lapal, the Chesterfield for instance, and some that need to pierce through motorway embankments

If it were possible to find a cost effective way of tunneling, these schemes would stand a much better chance

Richard

Seconded - I hope the idea is not quietly shelved. It deserves to be kept going.

Wilts & Berks also, it is making progress but rather slowly.

Seconded - I hope the idea is not quietly shelved. It deserves to be kept going.

Wilts & Berks also, it is making progress but rather slowly.

English is great isn't it?

I don't feel strongly enough about the link and would hate to offend Magpie Patrick by typing you can shove it up your.... :)

Hence the you can keep it comment, not short for you can keep it in place of another scheme.