Generator Thieves on River Wey

cereal tiller

Featured Posts

Some boating Friends were moored outside the Anchor Pub at Pyrford this morning

They saw their Hyundai SEI 3600 Generator being loaded in to the Boot of a car that was in the Pub car park

They attempted to leave their Boat only to find that a Branch had been pushed through the Bow Door handles and the Hasp on the Rear Doors had been closed

The Owner of the Boat climbed out of the Side Trading Doors and watched the vehicle leave the Car Park in a hurry.

The Vehicle Number plate was noted and reported to the Police,it turned out to be non existent

Will update as soon as

CT

Edited by cereal tiller

They attempted to leave their Boat only to find that a Branch had been pushed through the Bow Door handles and the Hasp on the Rear Doors had been closed

Another reason not to have hasps and external padlocks on your boat. What happens if your boat is on fire?

One hope they might have is many Police Cars are fitted with ANPR, and there are nany fixed ANPR cameras that in itself might ping up a fake plate as untaxed etc.

so fingers crossed.

Alan

Edited by HappyDayz

Either it was not chained or the chain was thin and easily cut with little noise. A lesson for us all even when on the boat don't assume all is secure.

Have seen cameras, binoculars and other easily stolen items sitting on rear deck while crew eat lunch. We all need to be more vigilant.

A friend of mine laid his bag on the roof while he went to the stern to lock the back doors, turned round to see it going off down the tow path in someone else's hand.

My tools once disappeared in the same manner, I was on the roof and the tools on the rear deck.

Bob

In the 80s while queuing at Camden lock saw a local jump on to the roof of the boat in front while it was descending in the lock grab the genny back over the other boat in the locks roof and off into the distance... Quite why the genny was on the roof bit beyond me. In those days on the regents the safe way to leave the boat was engine on doors open lights on. If you were apparently out it would be robbed torched or cast adrift as a matter of local courtesy, ( or all 3) Beckett park was the best hotspot.

Several years back there was a spate of something similar on The Saffs & Worcs a little North of Autherley Junction where the cut suddenly enters a narrow cutting with the bankside about the same height as a boat's cabin top.

Youngsters from a nearby traveller's camp (I started to argue with myself then as to whether that description was pc or not, but at the end of the day they were thieving scrotes so what the hell?) anyway they'd a spot a boat approaching and hide on the top of the bank invisible to those below.

When the boat was beneath they'd leap on en masse and nick everything in grabbing distance and then jump back off again.

To my entertainment I witnessed one do a Tom & Jerry turn in midair when he spotted me sitting cross legged on the roof with a 2 feet mooring spike in my hand.

Long email this morning from the Head Lengthsman updating on this issue.

It appears someone is roaming up and down the Wey, helping themselves to other people's stuff.

Vigilance is asked for, the partial number plate of the vehicle at Pyrford is also included.

I am not sure about posting the content on here, but if anyone would like to see the email, please leave me your email address as a PM and I will forward it to you (I think that would be ok?)