'German' LPG water heaters

Rendelf

Featured Posts

Has anyone come across these heaters?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8L-Tankless-Propane-Gas-LPG-Instant-On-Demand-Hot-Water-Heater-With-Showers-/351378290157?hash=item51cfc735ed:g:vF8AAOSwDNdVn2h6

They offer advantages, such as "Electricity pulse automatic Fire Catching" and a "magnificent thin-shaped appearance"!

They seem to run about £50 cheaper than Morco equivalent... and they're shiny.

By my reading of this although the seller of this unbranded product is in Hamburg, it looks strongly like they are actually made in China, (though I can't explicitly see a place of manufacture).

You can easily buy parts for Morcos - can you for this?

It doesn't, as far as I can see, actually show it is suitable for multi-point use.

Nor, as far as I could see is there an obvious link to a suitable flue, (which it should not be operated without).

Caveat emptor, I think.

Has anyone come across these heaters?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8L-Tankless-Propane-Gas-LPG-Instant-On-Demand-Hot-Water-Heater-With-Showers-/351378290157?hash=item51cfc735ed:g:vF8AAOSwDNdVn2h6

They offer advantages, such as "Electricity pulse automatic Fire Catching" and a "magnificent thin-shaped appearance"!

They seem to run about £50 cheaper than Morco equivalent... and they're shiny.

I've never seen one. I'd like to see some photos of inside, strange the listing is so coy about what's in the box.

Looks a well made box from the outside though, so hopefully the engineering inside will be just as good.

The questions I'd want answered before fitting one in my boat are:

1) Is it CE marked?

2) Who supports it in the UK? I.e. where do spare parts come from and who offers telephone technical support?

I'd also like to see a readable photo of the data plate in the side. I can see it in pic 3 but can't read the data.

Nor, as far as I could see is there an obvious link to a suitable flue, (which it should not be operated without).

Point of Order Alan,

It might be designed as a flueless appliance and so suitable for use without a flue. The original Paloma was like this if you remember. The flue kit was an optional extra!

We'd need to read the manual to be sure though.

Point of Order Alan,

It might be designed as a flueless appliance and so suitable for use without a flue. The original Paloma was like this if you remember. The flue kit was an optional extra!

We'd need to read the manual to be sure though.

Well quite!

The garbled English of the advert doesn't help hugely!

2. Must be used under the condition of ventilation, ensuring the normal condition of the flue kit.

Perhaps that explains the plethora of Ebay usernames.

I've largely given up with eBay, get the odd bargain from places like Marine Scene who are in Porthcawl and have a proper online presence outside eBay,

Any of these nomark sellers i give a wide birth - of which there seems to be many now!!

No phone number I see, in case you wing the wong number I expect. Lots of wong numbers are wung in Guangzhou.

Last time it went there I bought a book about how to chat up the local ladies should the opportunity arise.

I magine my disappointment when I took the cellophane wrapper off "How to Woo".

And found that I was looking at Volume 2 of the Guangzhou telephone directory..

• Greenie 2

:D :D

The lady who is showering looks so happy though... I imagine Mrs Rendelf being this way.

Possibly should buy Morco and wrap in aluminum foil.

I do wonder how many components in a Morco heater are made in the sane place...

1) Is it CE marked?

And equally importantly how is it "CE" marked, this applies to many products including some diesel heaters, I'm surprised it's allowed as clearly "passing off"

b150d141d6582b542d1181fd3671772a.jpg

biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

The lady who is showering looks so happy though... I imagine Mrs Rendelf being this way.

Possibly should buy Morco and wrap in aluminum foil.

I do wonder how many components in a Morco heater are made in the sane place...

Probably none at all, but not sure why the source of the components should bother you. Whether the design meets European and/or UK standards would be my primary concern.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I've just bought a new Bosch washer / dryer and the label on the back says 'Made in China'.

Is that a problem then?

The problem with this water heater is it is 'unbranded', directly posted to each buyer from China, and not tested to any UK or European safety standards.So if/when it blows up and kills the boat occupants, there is no-one to hold to account.

The exact reverse appies to your washing machine. When it burns your house down, Bosch are a pretty easy target to track down and sue.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Is that a problem then?

The problem with this water heater is it is 'unbranded', directly posted to each buyer from China, and not tested to any UK or European safety standards.So if/when it blows up and kills the boat occupants, there is no-one to hold to account.

The exact reverse appies to your washing machine. When it burns your house down, Bosch are a pretty easy target to track down and sue.

No problem, it's just that many products are made in China these days which doesn't necessarily mean an inferior product .

Whether the design meets European and/or UK standards would be my primary concern.

It's a good point Mike. Death isn't something I want to explore just yet - neither is using a fire extinguisher naked.

I'm waiting to use the solar heating system I built in in the winter....as it's July I thought I'd be using it by now :(

I've just bought a new Bosch washer / dryer and the label on the back says 'Made in China'.

And there's the rub, China is more than capable of turning out first class high quality kit when quality control measures to western standards are maintained. They are also capable of turning out sub standard and even dangerous stuff and bunging it on eBay if nobody is looking, including lethal toys and children's clothing, or firelighters as they are known in some BSI conversations.