Week off starting Monday

snappyfish

Featured Posts

So I have a week off work starting Monday 11th July. Is there such a site where you can find last minute canal holidays? Of can anyone recommend somewhere based on personal experience?

Some late availability bookings are on ebay, but from memory would not be covered by the ebay money back protection policy.

So make sure they are a reputable hire company, and check phone numbers etc against the hirers web site.

Maestermyn is roughly half way along the Llangollen. A picturesque canal with two outstanding aqueducts and a wonderful final destination. However you do have to pay £6 per night to moor at Llangollen. (Max stay 48 hours).

It is busy in the summer, but in my opinion worth doing then.

Remember, it has a flow due to the River Dee beibg tapped at Horseshoe Falls to provide drinking water for Nantwich, so it takes longer to get to Llangollen, than to get back.

The price you are paying is less than I paid when I last hired in 1991!

Edited to add the last sentance.

Edited by cuthound

Maestermyn is roughly half way along the Llangollen. A picturesque canal with two outstanding aqueducts and a wonderful final destination. However you do have to pay £6 per night to moor at Llangollen. (Max stay 48 hours).

It is busy in the summer, but in my opinion worth doing then.

Remember, it has a flow due to the River Dee being tapped at Horseshoe Falls to provide drinking water for Nantwich, so it takes longer to get to Llangollen, than to get back.

The price you are paying is less than I paid when I last hired in 1991!

Thanks, so as I am a total newbie to canals can I move off the £6 per night canal stay? How far does it run for?

WOLVERHAMPTON TO CAPE OF GOOD HOPE - NARROWBOAT TRUST - WORKING BOATS SUMMER COAL RUN

LOOK AT WEB PAGE £20 MEMBERSHIP LOOKING FOR CREW

Why are you shouting? And I have no idea what you message means?

Thanks, so as I am a total newbie to canals can I move off the £6 per night canal stay? How far does it run for?

You need to do some research, but £6.00 is just the overnight mooring fee in the basin at Llangollen if you don't stay overnight then you don't have to pay but it's worth the visit, how many crew have you? As the narrows of the canal (1 boats width) coming into Llangollen are very tricky without sending someone ahead to see if it's clear now we're into summer season.

Here's some info http://nbwhatalark.blogspot.co.uk give you an idea what it's like.

Why are you shouting? And I have no idea what you message means?

. This

http://www.narrowboattrust.org.uk/membership.shtml

But I can see no info that if you join they are looking for crew next week. http://www.narrowboattrust.org.uk/news.shtml Also looked at their Facebook page. Nothing there either.

Edited by Mendip-Locks

how many crew have you? As the narrows of the canal (1 boats width) coming into Llangollen are very tricky without sending someone ahead to see if it's clear now we're into summer season.

Planning this on my own with the dog, got some unexpected time off work. Hence the late booking, and hopefully going tomorrow.

Planning this on my own with the dog, got some unexpected time off work. Hence the late booking, and hopefully going tomorrow.

Enjoy. As I'm sure you will. Take time,relax and meet good people.

Keep us posted.

Just for clarity, the £6 fee applies to all of the bankside mooring and basin moorings at Llangollen town only.

The moorings have electricity and water points included in the fee, and you pay for them at the houseboat ride place on the wharf. They then give you a sticky ticket to put in the window ala "pay and display".

Not sure if many hire companies allow single handing, I would suggest that you talk to the hire company first before making a booking.

Not sure if many hire companies allow single handing, I would suggest that you talk to the hire company first before making a booking.

Thanks, I have just seen that also, Hmm time to ring people on late notice!! Will call them and ask about single person booking and try my luck.

Thanks, I have just seen that also, Hmm time to ring people on late notice!! Will call them and ask about single person booking and try my luck.

Failing that you could try the "Crew Swap" section of this forum and ask if anyone can accompany you.

. This

http://www.narrowboattrust.org.uk/membership.shtml

But I can see no info that if you join they are looking for crew next week. http://www.narrowboattrust.org.uk/news.shtml Also looked at their Facebook page. Nothing there either.

I'm on the NBT run from Awbridge (near Wolverhampton) to Cape of Good Hope (near Warwick); it's 16th-23rd July so not the right dates for the OP. The last I heard there were only 3 of us doing it, so one vacancy as we normally try to have a crew of 4. But there are definitely still some places that need filling on this year's runs.

Just for clarity, the £6 fee applies to all of the bankside mooring and basin moorings at Llangollen town only.

The moorings have electricity and water points included in the fee, and you pay for them at the houseboat ride place on the wharf. They then give you a sticky ticket to put in the window ala "pay and display".

Isnt that only if you stay overnight. can't you still stay for the day free?

Isnt that only if you stay overnight. can't you still stay for the day free?

I believe that is the case, I think you can stay until 5pm or so for free.

Well worth staying overnight there though, £6 is not a lot to pay if you are there on holiday!

I believe that is the case, I think you can stay until 5pm or so for free.

Well worth staying overnight there though, £6 is not a lot to pay if you are there on holiday!

It was the thin end of the wedge. I think we will see a lot more pay for moorings before 2020, London, Foxton and any other busy spot. I refuse to moor there on principal, I wouldnt mind it I could overnight on the towpath free but you cant even do that.

It was the thin end of the wedge. I think we will see a lot more pay for moorings before 2020, London, Foxton and any other busy spot. I refuse to moor there on principal, I wouldnt mind it I could overnight on the towpath free but you cant even do that.

Problem was that before they introduced it, and built the basin at the same time, there was a 50/50 chance of going all the way to Llangollen and not being able to moor.

Problem was that before they introduced it, and built the basin at the same time, there was a 50/50 chance of going all the way to Llangollen and not being able to moor.

I have no problem charging for the basin. If I want to moor in a basin with electricity I am happy to pay for it, but for an overnight in Llangollen I don't need that.

Well.. Thanks to everyone that replied. I did not go. Couldn't get a second person in such short notice.

Will try and do this another time but arranged.

One thing to add is the amount of company's I emailed about Narrow boat holidays and got NO REPLY!!!