yes another live aboard newbie question

Dexter's Shed

Featured Posts

hi everyone, I last posted here back in nov 2015, when I was sure my marriage was going up the river so to speak, well it did,lol, yes I can laugh about it, I'm happy and relaxed, something I wasn't for a long time, anyhow, onto my questions

I'm currently renting a flat from my sister (cheap rent) but cannot stay here forever (romford) as she'll want to make money from rent again, and I'm looking into the future, I'm 52yrs young now, but what happens when I hit retirement age? cannot see the government shelling out to keep me in a private property

the only thing of value I have is a woodland in kent, bought 4yrs ago at 49k, probably worth around 59k now, maybe a little more, so I'm back to thinking, not enough to buy myself a dwelling, but a canal boat is doable

but rather than wait another 20yrs, why not now ?

so, if I could find a marina, within easy travelling distance of M25/london to allow me to carry on working (I'm a night working pest controller for london underground)

do they have parking areas for cars/vans (I have one of each)

do you pay for parking spaces ?

what would be a ball park figure for monthly payments to live in a marina ?

I'm probably laying out around £1000 a month to live in a flat

do they allow pets (small jrt)

do you pay council tax ?

any info gratefully accepted

so, if I could find a marina, within easy travelling distance of M25/london to allow me to carry on working (I'm a night working pest controller for london underground)

do you pay council tax ?

The answers to those questions is, depends on the mooring/marina.

The definitive answers will only be found out by contacting all the marinas in the area you want to be.

hi everyone, I last posted here back in nov 2015, when I was sure my marriage was going up the river so to speak, well it did,lol, yes I can laugh about it, I'm happy and relaxed, something I wasn't for a long time, anyhow, onto my questions

I'm currently renting a flat from my sister (cheap rent) but cannot stay here forever (romford) as she'll want to make money from rent again, and I'm looking into the future, I'm 52yrs young now, but what happens when I hit retirement age? cannot see the government shelling out to keep me in a private property

the only thing of value I have is a woodland in kent, bought 4yrs ago at 49k, probably worth around 59k now, maybe a little more, so I'm back to thinking, not enough to buy myself a dwelling, but a canal boat is doable

but rather than wait another 20yrs, why not now ?

do you pay council tax ?

any info gratefully accepted

Try Roydon marina, they usually have spaces for narrowboats and sometimes for widebeams, plus there are always a few on brokerage there. I think you'd pay around what I pay, say about £4k a year for a narrowboat of a decent size, pets are permitted, there is lots of parking but don't know if they charge for it, no council tax to pay.

http://www.roydonmarinavillage.co.uk/berth-boat-sales.asp

There's also various private moorings up there, but I'm of the opinion get a mooring then you usually get to hear about other moorings. Because the private ones don't tend to get advertised, there isn't the need. You need to be on the river to hear about these.

Edited by Lady Muck

Dexter never under estimate monthly maintanance costs and all the extras you never knew once your really living aboard even on a newish boat weve spent 3k on minor issues.

I would recomend a piggy bank of at least 5k just incase big items go belly up like inverters/eberspachers or engine/gearbox issues.

Someone on here gave me the same advice i thought yer it will be fine, they were right.

Happy boating and best wishes.