At a lock today...

Ricco1

Featured Posts

I'm amazed at how precious some people can be. Both the idiot mentioned in the original post and some people on here.

When I'm single handing, if someone offers help, that's fine. If they don't offer to help, that's fine too. It's all good! I mean we all enjoy boating don't we? Why get your knickers in a twist about what others do?

One exception would be when someone's deliberate actions are intended to cause problems for others. That's why I say the guy in the first post is an idiot.

• Greenie 1

I'll always offer to help someone else through a lock if I'm waiting. If I'm single handing and someone offers to help I normally accept especially if going downhill and they offer to open the gates so I can get back on the boat.

I'm amazed at how precious some people can be. Both the idiot mentioned in the original post and some people on here.

When I'm single handing, if someone offers help, that's fine. If they don't offer to help, that's fine too. It's all good! I mean we all enjoy boating don't we? Why get your knickers in a twist about what others do?

One exception would be when someone's deliberate actions are intended to cause problems for others. That's why I say the guy in the first post is an idiot.

If someone called you a tosspot who was half drunk i guess you might take offence if you were doing 1 mile an hour through a bridge.

I hope that was not aimed at me.

In true i help everyone i dont know pull the ropes in and moor up.

Dont tell me youve never been pizzed off by another boaters actions.......

I took your post as a bit mr perfect

Edited by Greylady2

If someone called you a tosspot who was half drunk i guess you might take offence if you were doing 1 mile an hour through a bridge.

I hope that was not aimed at me.

In true i help everyone i dont know pull the ropes in and moor up.

Dont tell me youve never been pizzed off by another boaters actions.......

I took your post as a bit mr perfect

I am mr perfect. Didn't you know? My point was that there's a massive difference between someone choosing to help or not, which really doesn't matter either way, and someone acting like a deliberate idiot. Getting annoyed by the first type of person is surprising to me. Getting annoyed by the second type is understandable.

To add: sometimes I help at locks, sometimes (for good reason) I don't. Either way, I can't see why it matters all that much.

I am mr perfect. Didn't you know? My point was that there's a massive difference between someone choosing to help or not, which really doesn't matter either way, and someone acting like a deliberate idiot. Getting annoyed by the first type of person is surprising to me. Getting annoyed by the second type is understandable. To add: sometimes I help at locks, sometimes (for good reason) I don't. Either way, I can't see why it matters all that much.

:-/

And you judge others.

Tossypotters are everywhere Ricco just be polite and stuff the numptys.

Dont let them mess your head up, i was halfway out of a narrow bridge the other day a captain mannering type sorry gg in a grp rammed his boat into the right hand side and blamed me for being in the wrong.

His pint fell off his dashboard all over him.

I was doing total tick over and his 9.9hp was flat out.

Looking forward to seeing the video on You Tube.

I wonder how many "pints" he had already consumed - this could be a clue to his erratic driving. There's plenty of time to have a drink or two after you've tied up for the night, no need to be knocking 'em back whilst in charge of a boat.

Looking forward to seeing the video on You Tube.

I wonder how many "pints" he had already consumed - this could be a clue to his erratic driving. There's plenty of time to have a drink or two after you've tied up for the night, no need to be knocking 'em back whilst in charge of a boat.

Ah! steady on, old chap. Is that not the best time to be knocking them back?cheers.gif

Ah! steady on, old chap. Is that not the best time to be knocking them back?cheers.gif

Well, I suppose technically I'm still "in charge of" the boat when we have moored up, but I never drink anything alcoholic while on the move. So, no and yes.

I don't think there is a definitive answer to this, beyond the basic principle that once a boat is in a lock, nobody should presume to do anything without the consent of the boat's skipper.

Being courteous to other boaters, offering help and accepting help when it's offered would all make the world a nicer place, but if none of those things happen, I'm not going to complain.

I do agree with MtB, though. As a single hander I find the crew from other boats often treat me as though I'm incapable of working my own boat through a lock. Just like Mike I take a lot of pleasure from working locks single handed. If it's busy and people think I'm slowing them up, I'm more than happy to let them through ahead of me and often I would much rather do that than be told to stay on my boat while they wield their windlasses.

I don't think there is a definitive answer to this, beyond the basic principle that once a boat is in a lock, nobody should presume to do anything without the consent of the boat's skipper.

Being courteous to other boaters, offering help and accepting help when it's offered would all make the world a nicer place, but if none of those things happen, I'm not going to complain.

I do agree with MtB, though. As a single hander I find the crew from other boats often treat me as though I'm incapable of working my own boat through a lock. Just like Mike I take a lot of pleasure from working locks single handed. If it's busy and people think I'm slowing them up, I'm more than happy to let them through ahead of me and often I would much rather do that than be told to stay on my boat while they wield their windlasses.

I think we are very much on the same page here about what is and isn't OK.

Can I ask a question though?

Like others on this thread, I derive pleasure from efficiently working locks, and other people "helping" really doesn't actually help.

Sometimes you can see boats mob handed with crew scratching their heads that we keep up with them!

What interests me is that single handers are (inevitably) going to make slightly slower progress, and as I would prefer NOT to do things that I know would irritate me, I tend not to help too much. I suspect that this is as you like things? I also worry that if we are following a single hander, we can tend to be snapping at their heels.

If we were going through a flight at the same time, how would you feel about the following;

1) If you are behind me, and there are no boats coming the other way, would you be pleased if I decided to set back for you?

2) If you are in front of me, and I suggested that you leave the exit gate open (for me to close before I set back) to even up the times for us both so I'm not snapping on your heels, would that be agreeable?

Only joking. ^^^^^ It's a good policy to have

It can be a bit of a strain when it reaches about 6 p.m. (beer o'clock chez Athy) and we haven't yet tied up. But I find that in such circumstances I enjoy the first beer more (and often quicker!) when I do have it.

I have never yet encountered a single hander at a lock who has refused my offer to work the lock for him/her.

I find the majority are also more than willing to jump back on their boats and leave me to it if I offer that as an option.

Where ever possible, we always lift a paddle for a following boat, and no one has yet complained.

I have on a few occasions lifted a paddle for a following boat, only to discover an oncoming boat further on. I apologise and explain my error, and no one has yet complained. Generally the response is "Don't worry about it"

Obviously my sweet nature, charm and warm personality shines through and calms everyone, although my wife finds this hard to believe ;)

Rog

• Greenie 1

I have never yet encountered a single hander at a lock who has refused my offer to work the lock for him/her.

I find the majority are also more than willing to jump back on their boats and leave me to it if I offer that as an option.

Where ever possible, we always lift a paddle for a following boat, and no one has yet complained.

I have on a few occasions lifted a paddle for a following boat, only to discover an oncoming boat further on. I apologise and explain my error, and no one has yet complained. Generally the response is "Don't worry about it"

Obviously my sweet nature, charm and warm personality shines through and calms everyone, although my wife finds this hard to believe wink.png

Rog

My experiences are broadly in line with yours, and I'm sure it's for comparable reasons. My good looks and immense modesty help too.

• Greenie 1

Sometimes I think I'd drive the majority of you all nuts by the way we cruise...

1) I often forget that not everyone cruises like we do, more often than not we don't have a "set destination" for the day, we cruise till we want to moor up then we start looking for a spot to moor. We are Never in a rush (unless the red light is on and we need a pump out before the nearest marina closes) sick.gif

2) More often than not we offer assistance with paddles and/or gates at locks to single handler's whether they are ahead or behind us. Most times it's met with a heartfelt welcome, on rare occasion it's been declined, no big deal either way to us

3) I never rush into or out of a lock, I'm still a bit of a chicken around other boats and always take my time

4) If I'm going at a speed I'm comfortable with I won't speed up no matter how close up my arse end you come, but as soon as I get on a straight stretch I'll move over to you can easily and safely pass by (this has only happened once - miserable ol' basrag)judge.gif

5) You may be moored in the middle of nowhere and enjoying your seclusion , but if we've already called it a day and your on Armco be prepared to have neighbors for the night - we will try to leave a boats length between ushug.gif

6) We shut all lock gates & paddles unless - otherwise instructed to do so on the gate / there is a boat coming in the opposite direction / we are on a canalized river where custom & practice dictates that exit gates are to remain openboat.gif

7) And then just to add insult to injury, on hot summer days I normally set a bowl of filtered water out the side hatch for any passing dogs or cats to help themselves to

9) AND YES, I do throw my veg peelings into the cut for the fish, ducks, swans & turtles

There I feel better now tongue.png

Obviously my sweet nature, charm and warm personality shines through and calms everyone, although my wife finds this hard to believe wink.png

Rog

^^^ is what I was trying to get across - yet again someone else was able to do it using far less words and more eloquentlyclapping.gif

Here - have my last greenie of the day :)

Edited by Bettie Boo
  • Greenie 1

I would say Bettie that that is basically how we boat with the exception of number 5. If we have found a boat moored in the middle of now where we will probably continue on past and moor round the corner. Certainly I like to give a boat that has chosen the peace and quiet of the countryside at the very least 100 yards before I moor.

Then again I may just be naturally anti social.

I just try to get on with everyone and can't really be bothered when people get silly about things

Don't sweat the small stuff

It just ruins your day

Totally agree,boating is supposed to be fun,enjoyable & calming.If we see a single hander we always ask how we can help & if they disappear inside the boat we joke about is it wee,tea or both ?!?