Pump leak

RichM

Featured Posts

My pump (Shurflo 12v Aquaking 3.0 GPM Pump - 30psi 3901-0213) has a leak. The leak seems to be coming from the pump's seal. Looking at parts online, it doesn't look like I can simply replace the seal on its own. My guess is I need to buy the a kit like the one on the site below.

http://www.asap-supplies.com/brands/shurflo/shurflo-pump-spares/shurflo-pump-aqua-king-valve-kit-509951

Can anyone confirm? If so does anyone know where I could get a generic version of the part if they exist?

Cheers

My pump (Shurflo 12v Aquaking 3.0 GPM Pump - 30psi 3901-0213) has a leak. The leak seems to be coming from the pump's seal. Looking at parts online, it doesn't look like I can simply replace the seal on its own. My guess is I need to buy the a kit like the one on the site below.

http://www.asap-supplies.com/brands/shurflo/shurflo-pump-spares/shurflo-pump-aqua-king-valve-kit-509951

Can anyone confirm? If so does anyone know where I could get a generic version of the part if they exist?

Cheers

Your guess is correct, the sealing washer has not been available as a separate spare for many years. I am not aware of a generic part.

Your guess is correct, the sealing washer has not been available as a separate spare for many years. I am not aware of a generic part.

Thanks David.

I will probably need to allow until early next week to get the part in that case.

Not being a plumbing expert myself, what's the most practical way to isolate it/reduce the leaking in the meantime? So far I've placed nappies beneath the dripping area and have turned off the pump and run the taps until there's no pressure.

EDIT: Have found a stop cock hidden behind smile.png

Edited by RichM

Thanks David.

I will probably need to allow until early next week to get the part in that case.

Not being a plumbing expert myself, what's the most practical way to isolate it/reduce the leaking in the meantime? So far I've placed nappies beneath the dripping area and have turned off the pump and run the taps until there's no pressure.

EDIT: Have found a stop cock hidden behind smile.png

If the stop cock is on the supply side, closing it, and running the taps will stop any significant leakage, but you will obviously need to turn it back on if you need any water, which will be a bit inconvenient. Nappies will collect quite a lot of water, and can probably be wrung out and used again.

To remove the pump, close down the supply stop cock and run the taps before disconnecting the inlet and outlet pipes. You will also need to disconnect the wiring, which will have some sort of screw connecting block in the cables. the pump is easy to dismantle and the replacement part comes with an exploded diagram to assist.

Be carefull not to cross the threads when re-connecting the water pipes, it is quite easily done and could cause some leaking.

Cheers

Having tried to stop two pumps leaking I wont bother again, I will just buy a new pump.

I used to have a problem with the sealing ring on Shurflo pumps, until I realised it only ever happened when the system (but not the pump) had been drained down over winter, and there had been continuous sub zero temperatures for quite long preriods. I now disconnect the pump as part of witerization, dry it out and store it in a thick cardboard box. Since then have not had a problem when I reconnect it and fill the system in the spring.

I now have a serviced pump and a new pump, along with a repair kit on board which have not been needed for quite a few years!

Edited to add:- Perhaps I should add that I have the older 2088/2095 type of pump whuich i believe were less troublesome than the newer type.

Edited by David Schweizer

Thanks all. I think I will take the safe bet and replace the pump. A few people I have spoken to recommended a Jabsco over a Shurflo pump.

Does anyone know if this Jabso par max (linked below) would be suitable replacement for my old Shurflo Aquaking 3.0 GPM 30psi 3901-0213? It's to feed two sinks, a shower that has a separate pump and Thetford cassette toilet with a water feed to the flush.

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/product/wp-001.aspx

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

How about the Whale version of events (FW1214), everyone raves about the gulper waste pump, so is their freshwater pump any good? My Shurflo has also developed a leak in the same place as the OP's has done.

http://www.elyboatchandlers.com/whale-water-pumps/whale-watermaster-pump-12l-30psi-fw1214

How about the Whale version of events (FW1214), everyone raves about the gulper waste pump, so is their freshwater pump any good? My Shurflo has also developed a leak in the same place as the OP's has done.

http://www.elyboatchandlers.com/whale-water-pumps/whale-watermaster-pump-12l-30psi-fw1214

I replaced a leaky ShurFlo with the Whale pump you linked to.

So far I would recommend it.

It performs better than the ShurFlo in terms of flow rate/pressure, and produces less noise.

Too early to comment on reliability, only been installed a few months.

• 2 years later...
3 minutes ago, Ssscrudddy said:

Bump. Well it's been 2 1/2 years according to that, & the whale pump has packed up. Not a happy bunny, slightly smelly too :angry:

Get two next time, plumb them in parallel.   Set one to cut in at a lower pressure and it will give you extra LPM when needed and not wear out at the same rate as other.