Dog that hates being on the boat

Snoobydoo

Featured Posts

We have been to the boat a few times over the last few days and nothing has changed. He is as bad as he first was.

It is likely to take months not days. So don't be disappointed not to see any immediate reaction. Patience and repetition is the key to training dogs.

It is likely to take months not days. So don't be disappointed not to see any immediate reaction. Patience and repetition is the key to training dogs.

This. /\ /\

It took us weeks to get Simon used to the car in order for him not to get stressed and get car sick whilst on a journey. Just travelling a few yards was enough to get him throwing up. Even now at two and a half years old I wouldn't say he was entirely comfortable but he is much more settled than he used to be.

Plus I am a firm believer in dogs being receptive to our own anxieties and fears, so if we get up tight about something, such as being very worried about what they are doing they sense and react accordingly. There is probably no scientific basis for this but It's just a theory of mine having had a few dogs over the years.

Edited by MJG

Having inherited my mother's dog, Max, some four months ago we are now training him not be be frightened of fireworks or thunderstorms. My mother managed to reinforce all his fears by behaving as though it was something to be frightened of: putting loud music on the stereo, drawing the curtains, giving him 'rescue remedy', fussing over him, etc. We haven't had a lot of fireworks to deal with yet but when there is a thunderstorm we ignore him.

The first one came right over where the boat was moored, and Max was looking fairly panicked, but we just behaved exactly as normal. Fortunately, Odin, the dog we've had for four years, has been trained not be disturbed by loud noises, so snored though the whole thing. Max was seen to be looking at Odin a lot of the time to gauge his reaction. He is getting less and less worried by thunderstorms.

Last year we had a very frightening incident in a lock, Odin was in the boat when it hung on a lock gate, and when it fell. He must have been terrified. He still does not like to get on the boat when the engine is running, so we always make sure he is on board before we start the engine. Over the months he has become calmer, and less worried when we are boating, but this is largely by making sure that he only has good experiences, as well as behaving completely calmly, and mostly ignoring him if he seems worried. We try to go through tunnels at quieter times of day so that we are less likely to be passing other boats. When going down a flight of locks the dogs come off, so that they are not worried by any noises of boats moving against each other in the lock. Odin has been on boats since he was a puppy, but this incident frightened him, he may never be completely calm about jumping on and off again.

This. /\ /\

It took us weeks to get Simon used to the car in order for him not to get stressed and get car sick whilst on a journey. Just travelling a few yards was enough to get him throwing up. Even now at two and a half years old I wouldn't say he was entirely comfortable but he is much more settled than he used to be.

Plus I am a firm believer in dogs being receptive to our own anxieties and fears, so if we get up tight about something, such as being very worried about what they are doing they sense and react accordingly. There is probably no scientific basis for this but It's just a theory of mine having had a few dogs over the years.

Here you go: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160112214507.htm

Not only do dogs learn to respond to emotional cues from humans or other dogs, they can integrate cues in two different modalities such as appearance and voice, a phenomenon not seen outside primate species before. We've probably selected for this ability over the thousands of years dogs and humans have lived and worked together.

Similarly, dogs are the only non-primate species that appear to worry about stuff, but I can't find the reference for that just now. Nonetheless all dog owners will know what I mean. Start packing an overnight bag and see your dog following you round with an anxious expression on its face.

Going to try Adaptil tablets. Good customer reviews. Anyone used them?

No I haven't. Nor would I medicate my dog against something which patience and training could solve.

Only as a very very last resort.

No I haven't. Nor would I medicate my dog against something which patience and training could solve.

Only as a very very last resort.

Agreed. When we were given Millie we were also given a part used pack of sedatives which we were told she needed to travel by car, along with a cage to put her in. Both were disposed of - she's still not a fan of car journeys but now only trembles initially rather than the whole journey, and does climb out of the passenger foot well onto my lap occasionally. This has taken 6 years and she's 12 now so I don't think she'll live long enough for us to get to a totally happy place.

As far as the boat was concerned she was never particularly happy when we were moving, but being a small dog we could put her on the roof to enjoy the obstacle course that changed daily :)

Thank you all for your responses. We have been to the boat a few times over the last few days and nothing has changed. He is as bad as he first was. We tried to ignore him and carry on as usual but allhe did was pant, shake and constantly move about the boat. We bought him a thundershirt which we read reviews about, it's supposed to help with thunder storms, bonfire night etc and supposed to help with noise , General anxiety and travelling but it made absolutely no difference at all. I am at my wits end with it all. I haven't enjoyed one day on board so far and have been looking forward to boating for so long! I don't know what to do for the best, I got ratty with him today which is the last thing I wanted, I just want him to be happy!

trouble is although you say you are calm it may be in the lead up to going you display some inner anxiety that he picks up on.

With Roxy when she's with sons partners family she's jelly..wont walk anywhere ..they let her "Chose" where they walk and if she pulls back and digs her feet in they take her home. I know you don't openly pander to fear as they do but it might be you are nervous and dog picks it up. If my son or I have Roxy she knows there is no alternative..we ignore her silly behaviour and we don't get it very much. She was actually much better when i had Molly

However if you persevere and still cannot de sensitise dog to fear you may have to consider leaving him with some one when you boat. It may be as with humans some dogs just don't like boating.