Smelly vent in sewage tank!

NorthwichTrader

Featured Posts

Could I have some insights into what might be causing really, REALLY, noxious gases to exit from a toilet tank vent in a neighbours boat when they use the loo? They have a macerator-type toilet, and know very little about their boat (we have a cartridge toilet at the moment), so I'd like to at least help with a couple of suggestions when I mention it to them if possible?

It is completely stinking out our boat so I've got to mention it!

I'm guessing some sort of filter issue? I know they've recently pumped out, so it's not that! Is it possible to fill the tank so full that the filter gets clogged with raw sewage?

Many thanks, as always!

They have a tank full of anaerobic bacteria that create the noxious gasses. Possibly caused by using traditional blue.

To encourage the non-smelly aerobic bacteria you need free airflow across the tank content so that implies TWO large bore breather pipes. A carbon filter will hinder this free flow of air but will, for a time, trap the smells of aerobic decomposition.

How to achieve this state of affairs depends upon the toilet type etc. but several pump outs with a good flush between and the use of a biological tank treatment will help. Lots of threads on here about it.

I've got a macerator toilet, use traditional blue, don't have a carbon filter & only get the slightest whiff when it is flushed if you are next to the vent.

My system is 9 year old. I reckon the op's neighbour needs to get a good rinse out with a high pressure hose. Maybe the tank isn't being emptied completely for some reason & there's a build up of solids.

I've got a macerator toilet, use traditional blue, don't have a carbon filter & only get the slightest whiff when it is flushed if you are next to the vent.

My system is 9 year old. I reckon the op's neighbour needs to get a good rinse out with a high pressure hose. Maybe the tank isn't being emptied completely for some reason & there's a build up of solids.

That is exactly what happens with conventional blue - it preserves the solids. Once you get a biological system working the microbes and enzymes digest the solids over time

That is exactly what happens with conventional blue - it preserves the solids. Once you get a biological system working the microbes and enzymes digest the solids over time

I've always thought that blue broke down the solids. Surely if it preserved the solids my tank would be completely solid after 9 years. I have an MCS contents guage that would have stopped working years ago if this were the case. The guage reads empty after pumpouts.

If they have been using 'blue' then they will need to thoroughly rinse the tank, then to get the 'right' bacteria going people use variously live yoghurt, yeast tablets or bio washing powder.

It may take a while, but eventually all the bad smell will go.

Steve

• Greenie 1

I haven't got one

Nor do I. And no chem added to toilet except white malt vinegar. There is a light whiff from the vent after flushing (lavac sea toilet discharging to a small holding tank) but nothing too foul unless you are right beside it.