New some help with buying Batteries guys.

Greylady2

Featured Posts

It does depend on the type of batteries. My Varta batteries will happily keep on reducing the current until at the end of a day's cruising, maybe 7 or 8 hours, they are taking less than a quarter of an amp into the 440 Ah bank, at a charging voltage of 14.6v . Even if I wind it up to over 15v they will still quickly bottom out at less than a quarter of an amp which is numerically less than 0.1% of the battery capacity.

Nick and Loafer hello and thanks, the SOC automatically went to 100% which it did not even register after turning on with the new batteries installed i presume it's automatically set the SOC at 1% tail off which i set the other day?

Loafer the battery are Numax Marine.

I am a happy bunny and in a few weeks 480 w of solar will be awesome for a live-aboard.

Edited by Greylady2

Nick and Loafer hello and thanks, the SOC automatically went to 100% which it did not even register after turning on with the new batteries installed i presume it's automatically set the SOC at 1% tail off which i set the other day?

Loafer the battery are Numax Marine.

I am a happy bunny and in a few weeks 480 w of solar will be awesome for a live-aboard.

Yes the Victron controller will set 100% SOC every time it sees Vc AND It for a certain time, also programmable.

Numax batteries will probably see you for 2 years as a live aboard, if you keep them charged as per the many recommendations on here. If you'd like a summary, I'll dream one up for you.

Yes the Victron controller will set 100% SOC every time it sees Vc AND It for a certain time, also programmable.

Numax batteries will probably see you for 2 years as a live aboard, if you keep them charged as per the many recommendations on here. If you'd like a summary, I'll dream one up for you.

They have a 4 year warranty I think, wots a summary ? Lol

They have a 4 year warranty I think, wots a summary ? Lol

They DON'T have a 4 year warranty, GL, unless it relates to a manufacturing fault. The will NOT last 4 years under live aboard charging regimes, NOR will you be able to claim. Unfortunately, the signs of under-charging make themselves obvious in the event of a warranty claim after 18 months.

A summary is wot I will give you, if you wish, of good charging recommendations!

A summary is what we are having now. A wintery comes later.

Haha yer !

Good one Nick.

It's not very Summary here today.

They DON'T have a 4 year warranty, GL, unless it relates to a manufacturing fault. The will NOT last 4 years under live aboard charging regimes, NOR will you be able to claim. Unfortunately, the signs of under-charging make themselves obvious in the event of a warranty claim after 18 months.

A summary is wot I will give you, if you wish, of good charging recommendations!

Owe 2 years is OK anyway, I would much appreciate some healthy battery tips if you have the time Loafer.

I'm sure that GL would like a summary. I and I suspect others, would also benefit, so if you could post it when you have summarised I would be very grateful.

I'm sure that GL would like a summary. I and I suspect others, would also benefit, so if you could post it when you have summarised I would be very grateful.

The problem is a summary would become lost in the middle of the thread, unless by rare chance nobody disagreed with it or posted further.

The problem is a summary would become lost in the middle of the thread, unless by rare chance nobody disagreed with it or posted further.

Its easy to miss posts and very hard to reply to all.

Paul maybe it could be pinned ?

After all it would help every single boater ?

This thread, like almost all others, is a muddle. Its not your fault, the nature of the forum means that threads grow and grow with everyone who wants to say something, able to do so.

Without giving too much away, there is a solution to the issue but at the moment its a guess whether it will fully/partially solve things or possibly not at all!!!

Here's the quick version, and I invite amendments, for GL's sake.

1. Don't ever let your batteries get below 12.0V normally. 11.5V exceptionally. 11.0V in dire emergency.

2. 12.2V is a better minimum, measured when nothing is 'running'.

3. Charge once every 2 days at least, notwithstanding the above. When you DO charge, make sure that you get the charge current down to 4A, and preferably 2A. (at 14.6V or so)

4. Get solar panels and an MPPT controller. If money is tight, I'd spend it on the MPPT controller rather than a Smartgauge.

GL, cut and paste as required. More advice will follow soon, and I'll forget to finish it off, because it's the first day of my drinking week today. (Two days off per week!)

XXX

This thread, like almost all others, is a muddle. Its not your fault, the nature of the forum means that threads grow and grow with everyone who wants to say something, able to do so.

Without giving too much away, there is a solution to the issue but at the moment its a guess whether it will fully/partially solve things or possibly not at all!!!

That confused me Paul 》 which is not difficult.

Here's the quick version, and I invite amendments, for GL's sake.

1. Don't ever let your batteries get below 12.0V normally. 11.5V exceptionally. 11.0V in dire emergency.

2. 12.2V is a better minimum, measured when nothing is 'running'.

3. Charge once every 2 days at least, notwithstanding the above. When you DO charge, make sure that you get the charge current down to 4A, and preferably 2A. (at 14.6V or so)

4. Get solar panels and an MPPT controller. If money is tight, I'd spend it on the MPPT controller rather than a Smartgauge.

GL, cut and paste as required. More advice will follow soon, and I'll forget to finish it off, because it's the first day of my drinking week today. (Two days off per week!)

XXX

Loafer your a star I will print this out.

Thank you very much

I will buy you a Virtual Pint for that old boy.

Cheers and enjoy your sharaz. Xxx

Edited by Greylady2

Keep your cut and paste tool handy - there'll be more tips along soon.

Here's another couple:

5. If you have 'sealed' batteries, then they mustn't be charged at more than 14.4V.

6. If you have 'wet cell' batteries (which you probably have) then charge them at 14.8V, but their cells must be topped up with de-ionised water from time to time. (Once a month in my case)

Don't let me hog this, you electrical chaps. Feel free to add or correct. GL2 can copy the bits she wants.

Keep your cut and paste tool handy - there'll be more tips along soon.

Here's another couple:

5. If you have 'sealed' batteries, then they mustn't be charged at more than 14.4V.

6. If you have 'wet cell' batteries (which you probably have) then charge them at 14.8V, but their cells must be topped up with de-ionised water from time to time. (Once a month in my case)Don't let me hog this, you electrical chaps. Feel free to add or correct. GL2 can copy the bits she wants.

I'd question 5. SLA leisure batteries tend to have high calcium plates and have a correspondingly high gassing voltage. We seem (on the forum) to have had far more problems with SLAs being undercharged and sulphation than overcharged and drying up (can't recall any of the latter). I'd say 14.6 or even 14.8 is a better finishing voltage for SLA leisures. Not forgetting temperature compensation. Edited by nicknorman

I'd question 5. SLA leisure batteries tend to have high calcium plates and have a correspondingly high gassing voltage. We seem (on the forum) to have had far more problems with SLAs being undercharged and sulphation than overcharged and drying up (can't recall any of the latter). I'd say 14.6 or even 14.8 is a better finishing voltage for SLA leisures. Not forgetting temperature compensation.

You're probably right to question it - but by 'sealed' I also mean Gel, AGM and others like them, some of which are 14.4 max.

I doubt GL will be too affected here though, and I do agree with your observation.

You're probably right to question it - but by 'sealed' I also mean Gel, AGM and others like them, some of which are 14.4 max.

I doubt GL will be too affected here though, and I do agree with your observation.

My batteries are sealed with a transparent observation plug.

:-/

I will read all this thread again tomorow, half sunk into a bottle of Jacobs Creek at the moment.

Cheers all

Edited by Greylady2

My batteries are sealed with a transparent observation plug.

:-/

I will read all this thread again tomorow, half sunk into a bottle of Jacobs Creek at the moment.

Cheers all

Before we get too squiffy GL, do the cells in your batteries have a slot in them, for unscrewing, say? Don't let this query get in the way of a good glassful, there's always tomorrow!

Before we get too squiffy GL, do the cells in your batteries have a slot in them, for unscrewing, say? Don't let this query get in the way of a good glassful, there's always tomorrow!

Nope. Pm you

I think the most important factor with batteries is understanding your limitations and making adjustments.For instance, I got my fridge use down from 100ah per 24 hours to 25ah by chucking the cheap old 240v fridge running through the inverter and replacing with a 12v compressor fridge.

If you were to temporarily stop using your obvious big guzzlers like the microwave and slow cooker as I think you have decided to do, you'll find it easier to keep on top of the charging. When you're sure have it under control you can start adding things like the microwave one at a time and see what effect they have on how depleted your batteries get and how much extra charging that entails and whether you think it's worth it?

That fridge would have had me charging the batteries every day. I could go for 4 days now as I barely seem to use any otherwise. I have solar to add too because I don't think it a good idea to drain for so long without charging. I think I can then more or less forget the elec. That's the aim for me.

I think the most important factor with batteries is understanding your limitations and making adjustments.For instance, I got my fridge use down from 100ah per 24 hours to 25ah by chucking the cheap old 240v fridge running through the inverter and replacing with a 12v compressor fridge.

If you were to temporarily stop using your obvious big guzzlers like the microwave and slow cooker as I think you have decided to do, you'll find it easier to keep on top of the charging. When you're sure have it under control you can start adding things like the microwave one at a time and see what effect they have on how depleted your batteries get and how much extra charging that entails and whether you think it's worth it?

That fridge would have had me charging the batteries every day. I could go for 4 days now as I barely seem to use any otherwise. I have solar to add too because I don't think it a good idea to drain for so long without charging. I think I can then more or less forget the elec. That's the aim for me.

Thanks for your help we already have a 12v fridge/mini freezer ice pop size, what I have noticed the oven has its own 12v inverter which if left on runs a fan - I now turn thus off when I am not cooookin.

Apart from that the only domestic draw is water pumps toilet/taps ás far as I am aware.

The batteries were naked and with the new ones fitted we only gone down 3% SOC 4 hours running the above which is an amazing improvement.

The forum has been tremendously helpfull and friendly.

Good eggs

Edited by Greylady2

Have the new batteries got clothes on and cosy and snug? I mean not naked.

Sorry! Couldn't resist.

Lol

I went to bed fully dressed last night.

Aren't canal folk weird. Lol

Who gives a poo.

A few winters ago, I did consider fitting an electric blanket to my car battery:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kats-22200-Watt-Battery-Thermal/dp/B000I8XD9E

I think you can get an oil pan warmer and a little one for the fuel filter/fuel system lines too.

You might of woke up half cooked and I don't mean hung over. :-/

Edited by Greylady2