Braunston 2016

Ray T

Featured Posts

Not sure I need to explain that not all my pictures on Flickr are to do with canals.

I think you probably need to explain why you singled that picture out, downloaded it, cropped it and posted it on here!

Simple, you put a link to a public access website.

That one amused me.

We had a brilliant weekend, thanks to Fulbourne for the ride on Sunday. I know Lemontoes really appreciated it too even if she was away from her stall for a bit longer than planned. Also multitudinous thanks to the Tawny Owls for putting up with us and putting us up, it was really good fun. Nice to meet new forumites and catch up with old friends.

Yes,

Thanks to Richard and Sue (Mr & Mrs Tawny Owl) for the invasion of their boat for an evening, and time spent with a number of like minded "forumites". (Cath says she apologises or "denting your steps!).

We have also had Barry (formerly Bazza) and Jan (Lemontoes), as well as Starcoaster of the forum as guests on our various boats, and have had the weekend that was the best possible antidote to the totally sh***y result in the referendum and all the back stabbing politics now going on. Particular thanks to Barry and Jan for taking custody of both our dogs whilst we were doing a full day boat move, and to Barry (again) for acting as a taxi service to all and sundry.

Great weekend, and met forum members too numerous to list in total. (This also exonerates me for forgetting anybody!).

Home now after second boat move. Totally exhausted, but happy!

EDIT:

Oh, and message for David Mack....

We did detach Fulbourne before setting off today, and left it only about 7 feet closer to the bank than you had!

Edited by alan_fincher

Found this by chance - another one of one of our boats attending.

I'm glad others were taking pictures this year, because I wasn't!

27840539822_f902c95305_b.jpgNarrowboat Sickle, Braunston by Jason Rodhouse, on Flickr

Edited by alan_fincher

Heres a lovely film of the Rally - much more professional than my efforts.

Edit to add I guess this must be Saturday.

Yes, it is Saturday.

At about 14:40 we can be seen setting off with multiple dogs and a couple of forum members on board, (we picked up more of both shortly afterwards).

Note it is sunny here - half an hour later still on parade it was chucking it down!

There are two real boaters in the photo. I'll give you a clue, they are related.

One of them is Mike H's brother in law Jim, t'other Jim's brother Eddie.

Watching Jim take charge of Cassiopeia was fantastic to watch. The professional ease, no fuss, I thought was brilliant.

One of Ian's photo's:

Eddie Hambridge & Nicholas Hill.

Ah! but who is this with Rocket Ron?

(I know.)

From Epilogue by Robert J Wilson

Dennis Ward and Alf Hambridge:

Jim Eddie & Alf are 3 of 17 children. As Mike H says "We 'ad no telly in them days".

Edited by Ray T

Ah! but who is this with Rocket Ron?

attachicon.gifRon Withy and who.JPG

(I know.)

That would be Mick Humphris's cousin, Joe Chatten.

Mick's sister (Jenny) was also there and went round on Cassiopeia, on the Saturday afternoon parade.

Mick on the saturday handing back Cassiopeia's shovel which he had of the Hambridges.

post-23395-0-14378100-1467276893_thumb.jpg

Jim Eddie & Alf are 3 of 17 children. As Mike H says "We 'ad no telly in them days".

That's why their dad (Bill) became captain of two motor boats and two Buttys at the same time, Jim being the oldest son was charge of the second pair (Cassiopeia and Toucan) up to 1960.

I have not seen a list of 'historic' boats at Braunston during this event (participants and residents), so from my notes I have:

ADAMANT

ALSAGER

AQUILA

ARGO ? (on Roger Farringdon's slip being converted to a motor)

ATLANTIC

AURIGA

BADGER

BANSTEAD

BARNET

BARROW

BATH

BLETCHLEY

BRIGHTON

CAMEL

CARNABY

CASSIOPEIA

CEPHEUS

CORONA

CYPRUS

DODONA

DORADO

EMU

ENCELADUS

FENNY

FLAMINGO (exLETCHWORTH)

FORWARD

FULBOURNE

GERALD

GOSPORT

GOSTY HILL

HADLEY

HELEN

HINEROA (exURANUS)

HOLLAND

JOE

JOSEPH

KILDARE

KIMBERLEY

LAUREL

LUCY

MANCHURIA

MARCELLUS

MONARCH

NUNEATON

NUTFIELD

OWL

OXFORD No. 1

PACIFIC

PANTHER

PELICAN

PRESIDENT

PURTON

RAT

RAVEN (exHYDRUS)

RAYMOND

RENFREW

RENNIE

SANDBACH

SCORPIO

SCULPTOR

SEAFORD

SEXTANS

SHARPNESS

SICKLE

SLOUGH (exDEIMOS)

SOUTHERN CROSS

STAFFORD

STANTON

STAR

TARDEBIGGE

THEA

THOR

TOWY

VULCAN

WHITBY

WHITE HEATHER

ZODIAC

77 'historic' boats

plus the two boats of some interest below (tied amongst the 'historic' boats)

OWL (built as a tug for work)

PILOT (replica G.U.C.Co. tunnel tug)

So which boats have I missed?

I know of at least one as when I was leaving on Sunday evening there was an iron B.C.N. converted to a 50'ish counter sterned motor pleasure boat directly north of Butchers Bridge and I can not recall its name - but is one of the 1980's W.F.B. Co. conversions (possibly HERO) captain.gif

edit = alter DIEMOS to DEIMOS and add LUCY and THOR (all courtesy of Mr Fincher)

Edited by pete harrison

So which boats have I missed?

I know of at least one as when I was leaving on Sunday evening there was an iron B.C.N. converted to a 50'ish counter sterned motor pleasure boat directly north of Butchers Bridge and I can not recall its name - but is one of the 1980's W.F.B. Co. conversions (possibly HERO) captain.gif

Well, if you are counting any in Braunston, even if they did not actively take part, (as you seem to have done), you should include at least VESTA, and probably LUCY.

I'm no expert on such matters, but might the boat you refer to at the end be THOR?

EDIT: As I'm sure you know, it is DEIMOS raher than DIEMOS.

Should ARGO now be one boat or two? :wacko:

Edited by alan_fincher

Well, if you are counting any in Braunston, even if they did not actively take part, (as you seem to have done), you should include at least VESTA, and probably LUCY.

I'm no expert on such matters, but might the boat you refer to at the end be THOR?

You are correct of course, I should include LUCY as well as the other wooden boat a little further back on the bank (if I knew what it was !)

I do not recall seeing VESTA, and THOR is the one I saw on Sunday evening captain.gif

You are correct of course, I should include LUCY as well as the other wooden boat a little further back on the bank (if I knew what it was !)

I do not recall seeing VESTA, and THOR is the one I saw on Sunday evening :captain:

James Loader is behind Lucy and Clent beside that but not visible from the canal.

VESTA was on its usual mooring on the pontoons just before you get to the slipway. It has been engine-less for the last two Braunston shows - a great shame as it is the tug I would most want want to own if I didn't already have one.

(I note you just listed "OXFORD NO 1" without further comment :lol:)

VESTA was on its usual mooring on the pontoons just before you get to the slipway. It has been engine-less for the last two Braunston shows - a great shame as it is the tug I would most want want to own if I didn't already have one.

(I note you just listed "OXFORD NO 1" without further comment laugh.png)

I still claim not to have seen VESTA as I only had a very quick walk to the bottom lock late on Sunday afternoon, likewise I only noticed the section of ARGO nearest to the canal on Mr Farrington's slip.

Why do I need to make further comment regarding OXFORD No. 1 ?

Perhaps I'm remembering wrongly, but I thought I thought that you thought (!) that what is painted on it isn't actually what it is?

Perhaps I'm remembering wrongly, but I thought I thought that you thought (!) that what is painted on it isn't actually what it is?

Fortunately OXFORD No. 1 and OXFORD No.2 were not identical, even though they came from the same builder at more or less the same time.

My understanding is that the owner of both boats are confused as to their original identities - but I am very satisfied as to which is which, and the boat at Braunston last weekend is correctly lettered captain.gif

I still claim not to have seen VESTA as I only had a very quick walk to the bottom lock late on Sunday afternoon, likewise I only noticed the section of ARGO nearest to the canal on Mr Farrington's slip.

Vesta at Braunston during the show:

100b%20Braunston%20Historic%20Boat%20Ral

Tim

• 2 weeks later...