Fuses in battery box

nickfryer

Featured Posts

Hi all

As the tile any problem putting in line fuses or a small 12v fuse box into the side of the battery box.

These would be for bilge pump, webasto and Smartgauge which all need connecting direct to battery but need to be fused

Just trying to keep things tidy

Cheers

Ive just installed a Smartguage and the manual specifically states not to put the fuses inside the battery compartment. I ended up putting mine just inside the cupboard below the door which is just above the compartment itself. I'm not sure if this is correct or if this still counts as being inside the compartment, but it'll do for now until someone corrects me. As for the reason it states not to put them inside I don't know, you'll have to wait for more experienced folk for that info.

Can you expand Blue Seas M.R.B.F into something I can search on?

blue sea mrbf into google gives lots of relevant hits. Anyway, marine rated battery fuse. (note, blue sea, not blue seas)

Edited by nicknorman

Blue sea do a terminal fuse block for this.

http://www.sailsmarine.com/ItemDetail.aspx?c=211415&l=g&cc=GB

The idea was to use just such a fuse block as this but it looks like it will have to be fixed to the outside of the battery box.

The battery box is well ventilated and is mounted on the swim right next to a large vent grill to outside.

Blue Sea seem to make low value battery-mounted fuseboxes that are not hydrogen safe (marine rated) or 30A+ ones that are. Is the implication low value fuses do not create a significant spark???

Depends on the fuse type. Filled ceramic types are fine but the open fuse element blade type can make a quite impresive spark especialy if caused by a short rather than a steady overload down stream.