Which oil for my PRM 150 ?

Greylady2

Featured Posts

As RWLP says, same engine oil. I have the same gearbox and change the oil within the intervals and have had no problems. Big problem is seeing it on the dipstick. I use the "wipe it on the forearm" method.

As RWLP says, same engine oil. I have the same gearbox and change the oil within the intervals and have had no problems. Big problem is seeing it on the dipstick. I use the "wipe it on the forearm" method.

Thanks

I have the same problem with seeing it on the dipstick as well.

Was thinking of spraying it matt black, but dad said don't be silly.

I use 15W40 same as in the engine. I gave up with the dipstick, I use a "calibrated" screwdriver with tape on it which makes it a bit easier to see.

Calibrated Screwdriver lol Haha

You know I am going to copy you now.

Cheers

Thanks

A tip given to me (I think by RayT) on here may years ago.

Get a very clean piece of white tissue and carefully touch and hold the dipstick very still on it, you will see the level easily and where it corresponds to the level marks.

A tip given to me (I think by RayT) on here may years ago.

Get a very clean piece of white tissue and carefully touch and hold the dipstick very still on it, you will see the level easily and where it corresponds to the level marks.

I will give that a go MJG, when I read the level if anything it looked overfilled.

Weird thing happened the other morning, I had done about 4 miles then I heard a sound of a slipping alternator belt but I gave it a rev in neutral and it was not the engine.

More of a squelching sound then it disapeared, I've heard other boats passing whilst moored up and their boats does it too.

Could it be transmission fluid squelching?

Weird question I know.

Edited by Greylady2

I will give that a go MJG, when I read the level if anything it looked overfilled.

Weird thing happened the other morning, I had done about 4 miles then I heard a sound of a slipping alternator belt but I gave it a rev in neutral and it was not the engine.

More of a squelching sound then it disapeared, I've heard other boats passing whilst moored up and their boats does it too.

Could it be transmission fluid squelching?

Weird question I know.

Cant really help on the noise, its hard to have a stab at stuff like that without actually hearing them.

You shouldn't over fill your gear box though and if you think you or somebody else has I would extract some to get the level correct.

From PRM's site.

Q: HOW DO I CHECK THE OIL LEVEL OF THE GEARBOX?

A: To check the oil level, the dipstick must be fully screwed down and a level can then be taken. DO NOT over fill your gearboxes as this is detrimental to their performance. If a mechanical unit is overfilled, then this will cause the clutch to wear out and the performance will continue to deteriorate.

Edited by MJG

Thanks

Filing a flat with a course file on the side of the dipstick will make the oil more visible.

Cant really help on the noise, its hard to have a stab at stuff like that without actually hearing them.

You shouldn't over fill your gear box though and if you think you or somebody else has I would extract some to get the level correct.

From PRM's site.

A: To check the oil level, the dipstick must be fully screwed down and a level can then be taken. DO NOT over fill your gearboxes as this is detrimental to their performance. If a mechanical unit is overfilled, then this will cause the clutch to wear out and the performance will continue to deteriorate.

From PRM's site.

Thank you MJG

Filing a flat with a course file on the side of the dipstick will make the oil more visible.

I smiled cos i have a file. Lol

Cheers

Bloody phone sorry for the mess up.

Edited by Greylady2

Re the screeching it can sometimes occur with a bit of resonance between the propshaft and stern bearing, sometimes brought on by something on the prop. Next time, try a brief moment of reverse.

Alternatively if you find the boat does it fairly routinely at a certain narrow range of revs, it could be "prop singing".

Obviously both those effects can only occur in gear, never when in neutral. Whereas an alternator belt can screech in neutral.

Edited by nicknorman

Re the screeching it can sometimes occur with a bit of resonance between the propshaft and stern bearing, sometimes brought on by something on the prop. Next time, try a brief moment of reverse.

Alternatively if you find the boat does it fairly routinely at a certain narrow range of revs, it could be "prop singing".

Obviously both those effects can only occur in gear, never when in neutral. Whereas an alternator belt can screech in neutral.

Ow thanks Nick,

Yer weird though it comes on then goes, I've not heard it for the last 5 days out playing.

I gotta say though I love living on the boat but I don't like living on the jettie.

Well chuffed. Yay

Edit : your Glider achievement was amazing well done. (Jellious)

Edited by Greylady2

to save having to screw in then screw out the dipstick...

Rest the dipstick in the hole, if the oil reaches the bottom mark that is the correct level.

If you do not believe me, check it for your self. wink.png

to save having to screw in then screw out the dipstick...

Rest the dipstick in the hole, if the oil reaches the bottom mark that is the correct level.

If you do not believe me, check it for your self. wink.png

It does beg the question why they didn't mark it that way from the start.

smiley_offtopic.gif The dipstick on my petrol lawn mower at home works like that ie you just rest it in the hole to take the level but screw it all the way to fully seal it, I wonder why the PRM gear boxes are not like that?

With regard to seeing the oil on the dipstick, I use a black cable tie, strategically bent at 90° at the top of the gearbox, to ensure it is at the same level at a screwed in dipstick. I then compare it against the dipstick. Cheap and effective.

Yes welcome back Grey Lady, why not ask the administrators to merge your old and new accounts (including your first one) so that all your posts are under one name?

Thank you Cuthound:-)

I've ask if that was possible and i am just waiting for it to happen. Lol

I guess their bizzy.

:-)