Car Insurance

Fruity

Featured Posts

NFU is who I use, in my case it's because anything being towed is automatically covered even if it becomes detached for any reason.

unlike the policy of a friend who had the insurance company wriggle out of paying for his caravan.

while towing he had the ball shear off from his towbar and the caravan went off merrily into the ditch (the breakaway cable did it's job and the brakes were on)

his policy states that while the caravan or trailer are attached to the vehicle they are covered, but the insurance company successfully argued that when the damage was caused to the caravan it was NOT attached to the vehicle and therefore the caravan was no longer covered, they did however offer to replace his towball.

well worth reading the small print before taking out insurance and asking for clarification of anything that appears ambiguous before handing over the cash. Worth reading up on unfair contract law too just in case.

Well, being truthful has paid off... NFU Mutual have come good for me with a competitive quote and what appears to be far better cover than other policies I've looked at. Mind you, the proof of the pudding is in the claim, and I hope I never have to!!!!

Thank you for all your help guys, even the doom merchants biggrin.png

cheers.gif

Excellent there is always someone out there willing to insure you!

• 4 years later...

Hi,

Sorry to reignite an old thread, but it looks like my dad has ended up being caught out by this trap. The letter (attached) arrived today 04/02/2021, saying that his car insurance had been cancelled yesterday 03/02/2021. With the poor weather recently, I though perhaps the letter had been delayed in the post? ... but the envelope was franked on 01/02/2021.

Some weeks ago, my dad had to phone his car insurers for a completely unrelated reason but ended up mentioning that he was living on his narrowboat. He's been staying on the boat permanently recently because his girlfriend is working on the covid wards and he narrowly escaped getting infected at home during the first wave.

He does have a permanent address, where he often does keep the car because the car becomes an inconvenience to him while he's cruising.

During the lockdown it's been a bit different; boat movement has virtually ceased and with not wanting to use the trains and buses as much, he's preferred to keep the car close by. I guess he was telling the truth for the situation at this point in time.

To be fair, he was told over the phone that his policy would be cancelled, and confirmation would be in writing. After a follow-up call to clarify his situation, they said they would forward his clarification to the underwriters. I'm guessing this letter states the underwriters final decision?

As you can probably imagine this has now left him in a bit of a predicament.

Any recommendations on a new insurer as we're guessing it's not going to be easy to find one now that he has had a policy cancelled?

Best Regards,

Craig

SmartSelectImage_2021-02-04-20-50-31.jpg

38 minutes ago, Craig Shelley said:

Hi,

Sorry to reignite an old thread, but it looks like my dad has ended up being caught out by this trap. The letter (attached) arrived today 04/02/2021, saying that his car insurance had been cancelled yesterday 03/02/2021. With the poor weather recently, I though perhaps the letter had been delayed in the post? ... but the envelope was franked on 01/02/2021.

Some weeks ago, my dad had to phone his car insurers for a completely unrelated reason but ended up mentioning that he was living on his narrowboat. He's been staying on the boat permanently recently because his girlfriend is working on the covid wards and he narrowly escaped getting infected at home during the first wave.

He does have a permanent address, where he often does keep the car because the car becomes an inconvenience to him while he's cruising.

During the lockdown it's been a bit different; boat movement has virtually ceased and with not wanting to use the trains and buses as much, he's preferred to keep the car close by. I guess he was telling the truth for the situation at this point in time.

To be fair, he was told over the phone that his policy would be cancelled, and confirmation would be in writing. After a follow-up call to clarify his situation, they said they would forward his clarification to the underwriters. I'm guessing this letter states the underwriters final decision?

As you can probably imagine this has now left him in a bit of a predicament.

Any recommendations on a new insurer as we're guessing it's not going to be easy to find one now that he has had a policy cancelled?

Best Regards,

Craig

SmartSelectImage_2021-02-04-20-50-31.jpg

Even worse is that now he is going to have to declare he has had insurance refused or cancelled to any potential new insurer.

It's not any help, but it is unfortunately 'the nature of the beast', keeping relevant information from your insurer results in them cancelling it.

They will take any action to avoid paying out, and the fact that the premiums are based on the address / post code / location that the car is normally kept has changed to "somewhere on the side of a canal" gives them evry excuse.

Just make sure that your Father tells his new insurer (as martin suggested) that he has insurance cancelled and explain why. He may still get cover but at an increased premium.

I had my insurance cancelled because my circumstances changed, hopefully will not upset too many insurers. The issue is now that which affects many who live on their boats.

We had a similar issue when we returned from Australia uk insurers very difficult.  ( nothing had changed except we were 14 years older.) The address issue in last 2 years very pertinent. 

We ended up with a well known rescue organisation. They gave us full bonus luckily proven by our australian insurer.

if in doubt dont do cheap. Non lloyds syndicates are better. Aviva etc.

Don't hold out too much hope and obviously needs to get another  insurance meantime but I would suggest a formal complaint and if and when that is rejected going to the ombudsman. Complaint would be on the basis that the car is normally at his home but he has been forced to move it temporariy due to lockdown (no different to taking it on holiday really) and it will be  returning home as soon as he no longer needs to isolate therefore there has been no non disclosure. Also they have given him insufficient notice (I think 7 days is required by law and I don't think the phone call counts) nor have they refunded the unexpired part of the premium which they should have done.

Could also point out that they could have given him the option of returning it to the house rather than press the nuclear button of cancellation.

Might even be worth approaching one of the newspapapers.

If there is any delay in getting insurance need to sorn the car.

Edited by Phoenix_V
  • Greenie 1

go online and check if DVLC think its insured if so phone the insurer , don't mention the cancellation, deny all knowledge,  make a minor change to the policy then if they have forgotten they were going to cancel it it should become clear and when you get the endorsement you will have written proof that they are still on

• Horror 1

4 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

go online and check if DVLC think its insured if so phone the insurer , don't mention the cancellation, deny all knowledge,  make a minor change to the policy then if they have forgotten they were going to cancel it it should become clear and when you get the endorsement you will have written proof that they are still on

Seriously bad advice. They can still refuse to pay a claim if they discover there has been a technical issue or similar.

The fact is that the policy has been cancelled, and the policy holder has been initially informed of this.

The only way to properly deal with this is to ring them and query why letter two came after letter one.

11 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Seriously bad advice. They can still refuse to pay a claim if they discover there has been a technical issue or similar.

The fact is that the policy has been cancelled, and the policy holder has been initially informed of this.

The only way to properly deal with this is to ring them and query why letter two came after letter one.

Yes. It astounds me how people treat car insurance as though its some trivial bit of cover like say covering a mobile phone. Making ABSOLUTELY sure that you are covered and have told the insurance company EVERYTHING relevant is paramount, it will often cost you more money but that way you are actualy insured. Kill someone with your car and you will see what happens and what checks are made re insurance.

• Greenie 2

Quite so. It would make more sense if they do as they do in australia, where the registration (tax) covers injury compensation. It also means they can topload dangerous vehicles on the insurance. ( 4 wheel drives and utilities)

It means i can lend my car to friends knowing if its registered they are covered.

• Greenie 1

Another oddity of UK car insurance is that it is (or at least was pre Brexit) relatively easy for an EU citizen, or a Canadian, Kiwi, Aussie or South African (and those from one or two other countries) to get UK car insurance, either in their own right or as an additional driver on a Brit's policy. But there is no way an American can do the same. As people from any country can hire a car in the UK, suitable insurance is clearly available within the trade, but when I investigated this a couple if years ago, no insurers at all offered personal policies. So when I visit my son and daughter in law in the US I am covered to drive any of their cars, but when any of the US family come over I can't lend my car to any of them except my son. 

I rang two insurers - Ford Direct and Admiral - last week with a view to understanding whether they'd offer me cover as a liveaboard based in a marina.  The only reason I picked those two out is due to them coming out cheapest on a comparison site.  I was absolutely honest about the potential situation, that I'd be living in a marina, on a boat, and that the address on my policy would not be a place of permanent residence (be it BoatMail or a family member, I offered both), and the car would be kept at an address different to that to which the policy is registered, a marina in my case.

Neither had a problem with this setup after being placed on hold a few times whilst they checked with the underwriters whether it was acceptable.  I think it may have been Ford which said that I'd have to put down the marina as the policy address - I explained I wasn't keen to do this as they don't handle mail on my behalf and it's also not residential - but they helped by suggesting that if I opt for email correspondence then no mail need go to the marina.  Again, they understood that I did not live in a house.  I cannot remember which of each or whether it was both that said I'd have to put the specific pontoon/berth reference as part of the address.

Esure, my current insurer, were clear with me in saying that I have to reside at the address to which the policy is registered, so BoatMail or a family member is not acceptable, even if you're clear in saying the car would be parked at an alternative address.  They advised if I were to do this they could no longer cover me and I'd need to cancel the policy.  Note, this is important; don't get yourself into a situation where insurance has been refused/cancelled as it's something you need to declare in the future and as I understand it, counts against you.  Cancel it yourself once you've got an alternative sorted.

I'm sure others are sympathetic and understanding to the situation of being based at a marina though not sure how constant cruisers might fair.

Hope that helps.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

9 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

It seems that avoiding the Co-op for any insurance is an essential first step. 

Agreed, as far as I know it is/was part of Co-operative Financial Services that is no longer a mutual and is owned by a bunch of venture capitalists/investment funds. They really should rename it.

Now Liverpool Vic has gone for general insurance it seems mutuals are getting fewer and fewer by the month.

• Greenie 1