Another Rail Freight Terminal - Gailey and Four Ashes

David Mack

Featured Posts

Following on from the proposed rail terminal near Blisworth (http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=81704), public consultation has been announced for another similar scheme which will occupy both sides of the Staffs and Worcs from Four Ashes to Gailey.

Details are at http://www.westmidlandsinterchange.co.uk

Below are two options for the layout, taken from the above website. I have emphasised the canal line on the second plan, as it is not very clear on the original. The A5 is the road running across the top of the plan, with Hatherton Marina in the bottom right.

post-7909-0-84786600-1466702384_thumb.png

post-7909-0-85995100-1466702405_thumb.png

Edited by David Mack

So a lot of it is on the site of the old chemical works - a lot of which has been derelict for years

i live by it - its in addition to the chemical works - this map shows how big the site is and howmany green belt fields will be lost forevet.

post-19413-0-18114500-1466704310_thumb.jpg

Our shareboat used to be based at Gailey. Just recently sold. Maybe just as well. Would not fancy being in the middle of that complex. As for the gailey marina plans as far as I know its on hold due to costs but plans have been approved and still are current. Looking at these plans it would not impact on the marina apart from the surrounding views/noise and traffic. Not good though.

I presume that will create a lot of jobs, take lorries off the road long term etc.

We are not being NIMBY's here are we?

ninja.gif he he - naaaa not me this time - only problem i have with it is it contains bronze age burials and the romans used the area - i asked yrs ago if i could metal detect it and the old farmer wasnt keen now he has gone and it will be compulsery purchased - its just about far enough from me for me to worry to much i hope - it says 8500 jobs but i guess tonights vote will decide who these jobs go to cheers.gif (like how i slipped that one in) see if the mods notice wink.png

Edited by the barnacle

I presume that will create a lot of jobs, take lorries off the road long term etc.

it will not take lorries off the road - it will massively increase lorry traffic in the local area.

Crick(DIRFT) is now infested with thousands of them and almost doubling in size in the next two years - which is why nobody can see the need for the Gayton Junction rail terminal plans.

ninja.gif he he - naaaa not me this time - only problem i have with it is it contains bronze age burials and the romans used the area - i asked yrs ago if i could metal detect it and the old farmer wasnt keen now he has gone and it will be compulsery purchased - its just about far enough from me for me to worry to much i hope - it says 8500 jobs but i guess tonights vote will decide who these jobs go to cheers.gif (like how i slipped that one in) see if the mods notice wink.png

Not yet.

Our shareboat used to be based at Gailey. Just recently sold. Maybe just as well. Would not fancy being in the middle of that complex. As for the gailey marina plans as far as I know its on hold due to costs but plans have been approved and still are current. Looking at these plans it would not impact on the marina apart from the surrounding views/noise and traffic. Not good though.

Very close friends of ours had shares in a JD boat at Gailey - Alexandrine. He died last year and she sold up. So it does not affect them. But my son lives at Gailey - and will find himself engulfed by the site when it is finished.

No mention of compensation in the documents......

....and HS2 will run past my door at Polesworth... 10 minutes to Gailey then.

By boat it takes me three days. There's progress for you.

It's not a Transhipment Depot is it?

Oh deary me.

And how many lost canal transhipment depots are now so lamented by us canal people?

James

This sounds like good news. It is pleasing to learn that rail freight is increasing to such an extent that such a new facility is needed. It will take a large amount of freight off the roads.

It will also, unlike the projected HS2, be useful and not a colossal waste of money.

• Greenie 2

This sounds like good news. It is pleasing to learn that rail freight is increasing to such an extent that such a new facility is needed. It will take a large amount of freight off the roads.

It will also, unlike the projected HS2, be useful and not a colossal waste of money.

Well put Athy, have a greenie.

It's not in your backyard ........so that's OK then...

I am not against projects of national benefit provided the compensation is adequate.for individuals whose lives and homes are destroyed or disrupted by the project.

There is one already about 15 mile away in Telford which is under used and has brown site to expand into, It is on the Disused Military site of Donnington, - do we really need 2 in the same area when one already has the rail infastructure.

• Greenie 1

Isn't the premise behind HS2 that it will free up capacity on the existing network to allow for more freight to be moved by rail?

There is one already about 15 mile away in Telford which is under used and has brown site to expand into, It is on the Disused Military site of Donnington, - do we really need 2 in the same area when one already has the rail infastructure.

But not the road infrastructure. This one is right next to the M6.

It's not in your backyard ........so that's OK then...

Yes, thank you for your concern, indeed it is O.K. for me. But because we are a fairly small island, every new industrial or residential project has to be in SOMEBODY's back yard, unless we build then all in the Highlands, and even then I suppose the red deer and golden eagles would moan.

So a lot of it is on the site of the old chemical works - a lot of which has been derelict for years

Looking quickly at the layout plans in the Document Library on the website it would seem that PP has already been given (Bericote) for the disused chemical land. Also, there are lots of other developments on the plans which I have not looked up but it is clear that the rail terminal is but a small part of the planned growth in the area.

• 4 months later...

Hi Folks, I can see thsee posts are from a few months ago. You have incorrect information. The Bericote scheme is being built on the old chemical works site, Gestamp from Cannock are relocating there. The West Midlands Interchange will run along the canal on both sides on 700 acres of Greenbelt land, it will be working g 24 hrs a day 7 days a week with 10 container trains arriving on site each day and 5000 HGV'S coming onto the site per day. If you want to know more please contact me, we have a fb page Stop the Gailey Freight Hub, would love to hear from anyone on the canal and also Horace42

Hi Folks, I can see thsee posts are from a few months ago. You have incorrect information. The Bericote scheme is being built on the old chemical works site, Gestamp from Cannock are relocating there. The West Midlands Interchange will run along the canal on both sides on 700 acres of Greenbelt land, it will be working g 24 hrs a day 7 days a week with 10 container trains arriving on site each day and 5000 HGV'S coming onto the site per day. If you want to know more please contact me, we have a fb page Stop the Gailey Freight Hub, would love to hear from anyone on the canal and also Horace42

My son went to the publc meeting but most of the hype seems to be based on bluff. There is no Govt. approval to bypass local planning rules-so there is some way to go for the scheme can take off. But it will need constant vigilance to put a stop to it.

As I said, it is a matter of compensation for the victims. To my mind, iIt's wait and see for the time being.

My son went to the publc meeting but most of the hype seems to be based on bluff. There is no Govt. approval to bypass local planning rules-so there is some way to go for the scheme can take off. But it will need constant vigilance to put a stop to it.

As I said, it is a matter of compensation for the victims. To my mind, iIt's wait and see for the time being.

Of course others will see it as an essential link in the need to transfer more freight from road to rail which will benefit the environment, thousands of homes on the route the lorries would otherwise take etc., although I am the first to agree that a number of people in the immediate vicinity of this project will see their quality of life reduced.

George ex nb Alton retired

I am entirely in favour of carrying more freight by rail and less by road - but, if 5,000 lorries per second, or whatever, are going to use this facility, what good will it be doing? Perhaps it will enable the lorries to make shorter journeys?