6 month licences ?

onionbargee

Featured Posts

It also says the offer of a pro rata six month licence is being made to CCers who aren't CCing enough.

Doesn't say anything about the same offer being available to every Tom Dick or Harry.

It also says the offer of a pro rata six month licence is being made to CCers who aren't CCing enough.

Doesn't say anything about the same offer being available to every Tom Dick or Harry.

I think thats correct, if they impose it on you they don't penalise you with a surcharge, If you want to buy one they do.

Well my licence restricted to six months ( because I my overstays were unauthorised ) has just been paid at the full six month licence rate

60 ft - £961.13

÷ 2 = £480.56

My six month invoice just paid £580.27

Difference £199.41

Have you checked the math?

Well my licence restricted to six months ( because I my overstays were unauthorised ) has just been paid at the full six month licence rate

60 ft - £961.13

÷ 2 = £480.56

My six month invoice just paid £580.27

Difference £199.41

I'm not sure what you want forum members to do about it?

If you think you have been wrongly charged, have you challenged it with CRT, and, if so, what was their response, please?

There is, incidentally, a minor error in this post. The 12 month rate (without prompt payment discount) for a 60 foot boat is £967.13, not £961.13 as you quote.

This means all your other calculations are then showing wrong numbers as well, I think.

You have not made it clear that when you suggest a figure for difference you are talking about the difference for a year, rather than the duration of a 6 month licence.

The real difference if you choose to buy 6 month licences for an entire year should in fact be, (undiscounted rates).....

(2 * £580.27) - £967.13 = £1160.54 - £967.13 = £193.41

(or £96.70 over just one 6 months).

But, as has been said, if CRT are only offering a 6 month licence because of your previous overstays, then I think they have confirmed previously that you should only be paying at a pro-rata of the annual rate, (i.e. half), and not being penalised.

I would suggest you take it up with CRT, if you actually want to change anything, (assuming you haven't already).

Pardon my maths.

Don't worry, I will be gripping them about it.

You weren't far out!

I'm sure I have seen in multiple places that you should only be asked to pay pro-rata, but other than the link someone already posted, I'm struggling to know where to find any other references.

I would be interested in the answer, because it affects a lot of people, if they insist on you paying more.

Pardon my maths.

Don't worry, I will be gripping them about it.

Might it not have been a good idea to do that before posting on here? Then everybody (including you) would know thw reason for the anomaly and not have to guess and assume.

You weren't far out!

I'm sure I have seen in multiple places that you should only be asked to pay pro-rata, but other than the link someone already posted, I'm struggling to know where to find any other references.

I would be interested in the answer, because it affects a lot of people, if they insist on you paying more.

He was £100 out.

That's where the (now corrected) numbers are from, Richard.

The point is that if you voluntarily bought two 6 month licences to cover a 12 month period you would pay an additional £200 (in round numbers) over a 12 month licence for a 60 foot boat.

I firmly believe CRT have said this does not apply if they are forcing you to buy a 6 month licence and refusing to sell you a 12 month. I think OB should have paid half the annual rate for his 6 months.

Many people put in this situation are already on fairly scant means, so it is a big issue to them if forced to pay extra.

He was £100 out.

Not over a year, though!

They cannot charge you more, that would be a penalty , or a fine for a rule they invented that has no legal basis.

Are you really going to argue over £100 after all the months you knowingly kept an unlicensed boat on their Waters?

Call it Karma if you like.

• Greenie 1

Are you really going to argue over £100 after all the months you knowingly kept an unlicensed boat on their Waters?

Call it Karma if you like.

So that makes it alright for a government funded charity to make its own rules up then...

I suspect they probably can charge what they like for a 6 month license. I think the point here is that if you had previously had a full license and then due to you cruising in a range that did not quite meet CRTs criteria they would only offer a 6 month license this is charged at half the full price.

As the OP had not previously had a 12 month license that was being renewed ( I understand) this is not the case here so I'm guessing CRT could choose to charge for a standard 6 month license. If the OP wanted to buy a12 month license and this was refused then in my view he should have been charged half the 12 month rate.

• Greenie 1

I suspect they probably can charge what they like for a 6 month license. I think the point here is that if you had previously had a full license and then due to you cruising in a range that did not quite meet CRTs criteria they would only offer a 6 month license this is charged at half the full price.

As the OP had not previously had a 12 month license that was being renewed ( I understand) this is not the case here so I'm guessing CRT could choose to charge for a standard 6 month license. If the OP wanted to buy a12 month license and this was refused then in my view he should have been charged half the 12 month rate.

I'm not sure that CaRT can charge what they like in the sense that they can arbitrarily charge one boater more than another for the same licence. BW consulted on a proposal to introduce differential pricing many years ago following a decision by the Waterways Ombudsman that it was wrong to charge private boats with multiple owners at the commercial rate (almost 2.5 times the private rate). The consultation foundered early on with regard to those without a home mooring (you can afford to pay more because you do not have to pay for a mooring) and later for shared owners (you can afford to pay more because there more people paying).

That aside, Mark is correct. If you apply for a six month licence then this will be charged at the published 6 month rate. If CaRT refuse a 12 month licence but grant what they call a 'six month restricted licence' then this will be charged at half the twelve month rate.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)