Vetus vh4.65 oil filter

Featured Posts

Try online filters website. Put in the vetus filter number and it will find a baldwin equivalent. It will also give you the coopers and fram items as well as useful technical info.

N

Do you have the actual part number for the filter. If it is STM 0051 there are at least 5 alternatives.

A member on her with a 4.17, listed them about a year ago

Try online filters website. Put in the vetus filter number and it will find a baldwin equivalent. It will also give you the coopers and fram items as well as useful technical info.

N

That's a negative unfortunately, stm4910 comes up with no matches on that site.

Going by Catweasel's find it appears that the Baldwin alternative is bd28 which comes up as a Ford truck, available on eBay for £15 which is a lot more reasonable for an oil filter, I shall most likely give that a go unless someone comes up with 100% knowledge on this engine in the next day or so!

That's a negative unfortunately, stm4910 comes up with no matches on that site.

Going by Catweasel's find it appears that the Baldwin alternative is bd28 which comes up as a Ford truck, available on eBay for £15 which is a lot more reasonable for an oil filter, I shall most likely give that a go unless someone comes up with 100% knowledge on this engine in the next day or so!

providing it physically fits, and the bypass rating in psi is similar, it should be OK. I still think it might be worth a phone call to Inline filters and Filtermania though as they are very knowledgeable.

I have used Baldwin filters for ages on a smaller Vetus, as well as Blueprint filters. I changed the oil filter on a Vetus for a neighbour, and replaced it with a fram that he bought. From that experience, if the original filter on the vetus isn't a Fram (with a different name painted on) I will eat my hat.

In the end I ordered the Fram ph6355 for the sum of £10.95 delivered, unfortunately it hasn't arrived in time for the weekend, but when it turns up I shall offer it up to the current one to check size and update when fitting!

In the end I ordered the Fram ph6355 for the sum of £10.95 delivered, unfortunately it hasn't arrived in time for the weekend, but when it turns up I shall offer it up to the current one to check size and update when fitting!

Another thing is do you know the base engine? In my case it is a Mitsubishi and from that it was easy to get the Mitsu filter number, which then made it easy to find the (many) equivalent filters. Even Halford's had one (Mazda 626 IIRC.)

• 3 weeks later...

So, The Fram ph 6355 is larger than the stock filter in all areas so i did not attempt to replace it.

Filter mania believe they have the correct one but has to be ordered from Germany as its not something they keep in stock

code is LHO 4708 at a more reasonable £12 plus vat

I believe that the OP's engine is different to the 415 (which is a Mitsubishi engine.) Different donkey altogether.

Edited by Guest

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, ItIsOnlyMe said:

I ordered the £76 service kit 1 from Vetus-shop, it included a Purflux LS740a and not an oem filter.

https://www.yoyopart.com/oem/1895733/purflux-ls740a.html

This site gives various cross references if ItIsOnlyMe has the correct option for you. Pop these into Inline or Filtermanias search.

Edited by Paringa

Nothing to do with the OP but at my last oil change on my Beta 43 I used a Baldwin BT420 bought from Midland Chandlers. Light went out and oil pressure Rowe as normal when started and run for a 30 minutes or so. Next couple of days cruised 2 or 3 hours each day. Next day cruised 30 minutes into Wigrams Turn Marina and stopped on the service Quay and switched off. 15 minutes later having sorted out a mooring, started and the light and buzzer stayed on. Went out after a good rev but has always gone out immediately before. Didn't start it again until I'd bought a genuine Beta one from Wharf Narrowboats. Won't buy Baldwin again even if it is made by Fram, et al. 

21 minutes ago, pearley said:

Nothing to do with the OP but at my last oil change on my Beta 43 I used a Baldwin BT420 bought from Midland Chandlers. Light went out and oil pressure Rowe as normal when started and run for a 30 minutes or so. Next couple of days cruised 2 or 3 hours each day. Next day cruised 30 minutes into Wigrams Turn Marina and stopped on the service Quay and switched off. 15 minutes later having sorted out a mooring, started and the light and buzzer stayed on. Went out after a good rev but has always gone out immediately before. Didn't start it again until I'd bought a genuine Beta one from Wharf Narrowboats. Won't buy Baldwin again even if it is made by Fram, et al. 

Your problem is not with Baldwin, assuming its anything to do with the filter, but with Midland Chandler for supplying the wrong filter. This is not the first time they have supplied the wrong filter for that model of engine; the Fram filter they used to supply was in fact a hydraulic system filter with no bypass fitted. The Baldwin site shows the filter for the Kubota V1903 as a B7099, very different to the one MC supplied.

Just wondering, why would you rev the engine when everything is telling you that you have no oil pressure?

Only revved it to put light out. If I Google the Baldwin reference now it comes up as hydraulic. Had a similar problem last year when the Fleetguard equivalent to the Fram nunber came up with an hydraulic filter. At least that one was clearly marked as hydraulic. 

Perhaps I'll take it up with MC. I tend to buy a new filter when I've fitted the stick obe. Bought 2 from Wharf Narrowboats so OK for next change. 

I have been using Baldwin filters afew years now with no issues

The Purflux lube filter mentioned above comes up as this as a Baldwin equivalent on inline filters

https://www.inlinefilters.co.uk/Filters-Lube/SpinOn/M26x1.5/FFR-PH6355

To be fair the Inline filters price excludes VAT and delivery . Nevertheless a considerable saving on the Vetus price. Inline are better value if a number of items are ordered as the delivery charge is fixed.

i don't fault people for using original equipment branded parts but if advertised as OE and at a high price  they should not supply an alternative.

Another supplier of Baldwin filters is as follows but requires a £50 minimum order 

http://www.partsandfilters.co.uk/baldwin-filter-bd28-lube-filter-p-408.html