Braunston mooring restrictions

haggis

Featured Posts

We are currently moored in Braunston beside a sign - not a CRT one -which says no mooring from 18/6 to 1/7 ie two weeks

I may be wrong but I thought the boat rally lasted for 2 days not 2 weeks

Why is mooring not allowed for so long? Surely it is not outwith the capabilities of those attending to indicate when they expect to arrive and depart and for the organisers to reserve the appropriate number of moorings at the times when an attending boat will need them

I and many other boaters I have spoken to say that they would have stopped in Braunston to shop or have a pub meal but during this two week period we don't feel we can

This must have an impact on the shops and pubs in the area and having just mentioned this to a couple of shop owners they say they were not consulted and they actually lose money over the two weeks

Surely this can't be right and it made me wonder how much legality these non CRT signs are

Haggis

• Greenie 1

We are currently moored in Braunston beside a sign - not a CRT one -which says no mooring from 18/6 to 1/7 ie two weeks

I may be wrong but I thought the boat rally lasted for 2 days not 2 weeks

Why is mooring not allowed for so long? Surely it is not outwith the capabilities of those attending to indicate when they expect to arrive and depart and for the organisers to reserve the appropriate number of moorings at the times when an attending boat will need them

I and many other boaters I have spoken to say that they would have stopped in Braunston to shop or have a pub meal but during this two week period we don't feel we can

This must have an impact on the shops and pubs in the area and having just mentioned this to a couple of shop owners they say they were not consulted and they actually lose money over the two weeks

Surely this can't be right and it made me wonder how much legality these non CRT signs are

Haggis

None at all, I'd say. Being reasonable about it one wouldn't want to spoil the fun of the parade of boats recently rescued from the scrap heap, but as you say until they arrive there is no reason not to moor. Whose name / authority is on the signs? Edited by nicknorman

Unless things have changed this year, not all the Braunston Moorings are restricted during the run up and following the Historic Boat Rally. The restrictions are usually between the two entrances to Braunston Marina, still leaving quite a long stretch for visitors, including those closest to the path into the village.

Edited by David Schweizer

Ah well there is actually a CRT stoppage notice about it. Best to complain to CRT if you think it's unreasonably long, however I suppose they have to cater for folk who might moor their boat and then go away for 2 weeks. Stoppage as follows:

A historic boat rally (including daily boat parades), organised by Braunston Marina Limited, planned for Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 June 2016 on the Grand Union Canal at Braunston. The event will run from 10am to 5pm on each day.

Please be aware that there will be reserved moorings for the Braunston Historic Boat Rally from Saturday 18 June 2016 to Friday 1 July 2016

During this period all the 48 hour moorings in Braunston will be suspended. This includes all the moorings from Braunston Turn to the Marina Ladder Bridge.

The suspended moorings will be in force as follows:

Braunston Turn to Bridge 91 (A45 Bridge) - from Wednesday 22 June 2016 (0800 hours) until Monday 26 June 2016 (1800 hours) - for the use of historic and non-historic boats booked into the Rally (staff and stall holders).

Between Bridge 91 (A45 Bridge) and the Stop House - From 0800 hours Saturday 18 June 2016 (0800 hours) until Monday 27 June 2016 (1800 hours) - for the use of historic and non-historic boats booked into the Rally (staff and stall holders).

Stop House to the Ladder Bridge (Braunston Marina) - from Saturday 18 June (0800 hours) until Friday 1 July (1800 hours) - for the use of historic boats only

Boats found to be mooring within these areas who have not pre-booked will be politely asked to vacate the mooring.

Below a link to the restriction notice on the CRT website.

The map shows it covers the length from the turn up to the bottom lock. Mooring on the North Oxford above the turn isn't affected.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/8255/braunston-historic-boat-rally-25-and-26-june-2016-grand-union-canal-reserved-moorings

It is pretty normal practice for rallies anywhere to reserve the mooring space for a week either side of the event, so that those who have to work for a living on Mondays to Fridays can get weekend their boats to and from the event.

Having said that, most boats will only arrive 2-3 days ahead and many will depart on the Sunday afternoon. So the mooring restriction could be less onerous. I suspect if you ask around any of the historic boats present they will be happy for you to moor (or breast up alongside) as long as you move on before Saturday.

And after the event there is no real reason to restrict mooring generally, but just to allow those who have taken part to stay for a week rather than a maximum of 48 hours.

I think it's intended for people bringing boats who can only move them at weekends. Arrive the weekend just gone, next weekend is the rally, move the boats on the weekend after.

Of course if no-one does that then the moorings are empty and it looks excessive to have a long stoppage.

I think it's intended for people bringing boats who can only move them at weekends. Arrive the weekend just gone, next weekend is the rally, move the boats on the weekend after.

Of course if no-one does that then the moorings are empty and it looks excessive to have a long stoppage.

So the solution (directed to the OP!) is to stay there and gather photographic evidence each day of the absence of moored historic boats, send to CRT along with your complaint. Or if the rough boys with their enormous bows come into view, best to scarper!

Not many historic boats here yet. We have moved on though as life is just too short to argue about moorings. It is the local shopkeepers I feel a bit sorry for

Having had a closer look at the signs CRT logo is there but the other one is more prominent

Haggis

Slightly OT I know, so apologies, but does anyone know what the arrangements will be for boats that are passing through Braunston that weekend? We expect to pass through, heading north, on the Saturday and want to add to the chaos as much as possible - oops I mean we want to pass through without getting in the way of the parade.

I regularly hear comments like "they think they own the cut", or "they are a bunch of tossers" when talk of historic boats comes up. This saddens me. Having a 2 week block mooring restriction in one of the most popular canal destinations can only add fuel to those perceptions.

Ive recently been to 2 canal festivals/historic boat gatherings and at both I'm sure moorings were only reserved from Thurs-Monday. That seems a lot fairer to me.

I wonder why Braunston is so different. Maybe it is because Tim & Pru go?

Edited by junior

So the solution (directed to the OP!) is to stay there and gather photographic evidence each day of the absence of moored historic boats, send to CRT along with your complaint. Or if the rough boys with their enormous bows come into view, best to scarper!

Why do you need to be so agressive about it? The simple solution is that if you arrive mid week and there is some space, occupy it until someone asks you to move. The most congested section is always between the two marina entrances, but closer to the junction will probably be OK until close to the weekend.

If you want to avoid the parade, aim to pass through early in the morning or late afternoon. Otherwise you join in the fun (whether you like it or not!). There will be marshalls at each end who will join you to the parade if you want to go through. Some boaters enjoy it. Others seem to be absolutely terrified. One year we had a first time hirer behind us, who had known nothing about the event beforehand and found himself taking part. He found it unnerving being the subject of so much attention, but enjoyed it enormously, although he was a bit surprised to be routed through Braunston Marina.

And after the event there is no real reason to restrict mooring generally, but just to allow those who have taken part to stay for a week rather than a maximum of 48 hours.

I took this point up with CRT about the floating Market in Birmingham and he agreed with me

I regularly hear comments like "they think they own the cut", or "they are a bunch of tossers". This saddens me. Having a 2 week block mooring restriction in one of the most popular canal destinations can only add fuel to those perceptions.

Ive recently been to 2 canal festivals/historic boat gatherings and at both I'm sure moorings were only reserved from Thurs-Monday. That seems a lot fairer to me.

I wonder why Braunston is so different. Maybe it is because Tim & Pru go?

One reason is probably that, unlike most rallys, so many boats gather for the event, and many will arrive during the week some from considerable distaces. Judging arrival time is not always a precise art, which given your chosen trading option, you should be able to understand.

I agree. Along with a dispensation for boats taking part in the event to stay up to a week before/after.

I agree. Along with a dispensation for boats taking part in the event to stay up to a week before/after.

Yes sure. But the restriction signs should be removed. I.e, once the boat has moved on, be that Monday or Friday, it is then a free space.

If you want to avoid the parade, aim to pass through early in the morning or late afternoon. Otherwise you join in the fun (whether you like it or not!). There will be marshalls at each end who will join you to the parade if you want to go through. Some boaters enjoy it. Others seem to be absolutely terrified. One year we had a first time hirer behind us, who had known nothing about the event beforehand and found himself taking part. He found it unnerving being the subject of so much attention, but enjoyed it enormously, although he was a bit surprised to be routed through Braunston Marina.

Thanks for the advice. It looks as if we'll be passing through either late morning or early afternoon, so we'll probably have the fun of joining the parade. In one way it would be highly appropriate as our sign-writing and also the (decidedly non-traditional) roses on our side doors were painted by Ron Hough.

post-807-0-13248300-1466430362_thumb.jpg

One reason is probably that, unlike most rallys, so many boats gather for the event, and many will arrive during the week some from considerable distaces. Judging arrival time is not always a precise art, which given your chosen trading option, you should be able to understand.

I'm sorry, i just don't agree that so many people should be denied the opportunity to moor at a popular location for the whole week leading up to the event.

My suggestion is that a much smaller area could be used as a 'staging post' for those wishing to arrive in the Sat-Weds before the event with the block mooring restriction from UCC to Braunston Turn only coming into effect on the Thursday.

........Surely this can't be right and it made me wonder how much legality these non CRT signs are

Haggis

For a sign to have authority it must be worded accordingly and marked with a CRT Logo. Otherwise they are informative and cannot be enforced.

Common sense and courtesy should kicking somewhere.

I regularly hear comments like "they think they own the cut", or "they are a bunch of tossers" when talk of historic boats comes up.

No, you misheard the second comment: it was "They're a bunch of Joshers".

The first comment, of course, had nothing to do with historic boats, but referred to those built more recently in the Glascote area.

David said that if you arrive mid week and there is space occupy it. Fine except that the signs say no mooring. OK we moored while I shopped but we were not comfortable about it and iain stayed with the boat

Just as well as the boat allocated that space arrived and he had to move the boat

It is not OK just to say we can take the space when the signs say we can't

Haggis