Shock resignation hits IWA & CRT restoration teams

Featured Posts

This arrived in todays mail, I always saw Vaughan as a committed IWA man but wondered how long he would remain so given current partnership with CRT.

<< Laurence

Following on from two recent resignations as of Saturday 18th June, Vaughan Welch is no longer Chairman of IWA Restoration Committee and, after more than 20 years as an Officer, has resigned from IWA. He has immediately taken on a senior role with a major navigation authority and expects to continue to work with waterway restoration projects outside the IWA.

Regards

Vaughan >>

So what now?

Note edited at Mr Welch's request to correct the date to 18th)

Edited by Laurence Hogg

He has immediately taken on a senior role with a major navigation authority

It sounds like he has resigned because it would cause a huge conflict of interest

Richard

Sorry that is too much, got to resurrect this:

You only really need to watch the first minute.

I know I only NEEDED to watch the first minute but .... thanks for cheering up the last 9 minutes of my day :)

There are some clips you can watch 100 times and they still make you smile

Just got this in the mail:

PRESS STATEMENT: IWA RESTORATION CHAIR TO STAND DOWN

Issue date: 20th June 2016

The Inland Waterways Association has asked its Restoration Committee chairman, Vaughan Welch, to step down from his positions on IWA’s national committees.

The request follows communications by Vaughan Welch with the family of a deceased supporter of the Association that IWA’s Trustees considered inappropriate and contrary to the best interests of IWA and the inland waterways.

The Association’s decision was reviewed and upheld at a scheduled meeting of IWA’s Trustees in mid-June, to which Mr Welch was invited but declined to attend to put his side of events.

ENDS

Press Contact

For further information please contact Neil Edwards, The Inland Waterways Association,
telephone 01494 783453.

Notes for Editors

IWA is The Inland Waterways Association, a membership charity that works to protect and restore the country's 6,500 miles of canals and rivers. IWA is a national organisation with a network of volunteers and branches who deploy their expertise and knowledge to work constructively with navigation authorities, government and other organisations. The Association also provides practical and technical support to restoration projects through its expert Waterway Recovery Group.

IWA - Keeping our waterways alive.

www.waterways.org.uk

Alison Smedley

Press Office

I suspect I am no longer allowed to express my opinion about Mr Welch on here, under the new regime, but if anyone wonders what kind of chap he is I suggest they put his name into the search function and read comments about him posted in less strict times.

Edited by carlt

I suspect I am no longer allowed to express my opinion about Mr Welch on here, under the new regime, but if anyone wonders what kind of chap he is I suggest they put his name into the search function and read comments about him posted in less strict times.

Why not try, Carl? Going about saying 'I'm oppressed' is one thing, others seeing you being oppressed is quite another

Richard

Why not try, Carl? Going about saying 'I'm oppressed' is one thing, others seeing you being oppressed is quite another

Richard

I'm don't feel at all "oppressed"...I have said many times that the website is the private property of Dan and he is free to do with it what he wishes.

I am also free to comment on the direction CWDF is going without feeling oppressed (but possibly subsequently censored or censured which Dan is also free to do).

My post was entirely on topic though and I wonder why you chose to steer it away from the original subject.

That's why

Richard

Seems a bit silly as I did offer a solution to my dilemma.

The statement wasn't off topic nor was it inviting comment or criticising the forum's new direction, just stating a fact as I see it.

I always found Vaughn helpful and knowledgeable. He suffered bad press for comments taken out of context. He certainly worked had for IWA and the waterways.

I can't let that go.

He posted an entire article as an IWA Branch Chair that couldn't possibly be taken out of context, because it was quite simply that - an entire article, not a carefully plucked out comment.

The article was based on prejudice, because if he had any real exposure to what he was writing about, he would have known he was spouting complete nonsense. It was actually highly offensive from somebody appointed at the time as a boaters representative.

I have no idea just how many great works he may have done in the world of canal preservation, but even if he were as good as David Hutchings, (which I rather doubt), it would not excuse his outpourings in my view.

The IWA might become a more viable organisation again if it manages to step away from views like his. I can't support something that has people like him as figureheads, however good an organisation they might otherwise have the potential to still be.

(Let's see how long that stays here!)

• Greenie 4

It is a great pity that such a person as Vaughan Welch has stepped down from his roles at the Inland Waterways Association. He has made a major contribution to waterway development, maintenance, restoration and the understanding of the history with which is associated. This was particularly the case in the West Midlands. The resignation of another important person in these matters, Geraint Coles, is particularly worrying. The contribution of both people will be missed, in fact the IWA will be the worse for it.

It is time to ask where the IWA is heading, and what Les Etheridge, the National Chairman has to say on why these people have left the fold ?

Ray Shill

• Greenie 1

He suffered bad press for comments taken out of context.

He has certainly never attempted to put his article in context.

I believe the article was quite clear and well written so not easily taken "out of context".

Perhaps you should read it and cite the parts that may have been misunderstood by so many people...

He has certainly never attempted to put his article in context.

I believe the article was quite clear and well written so not easily taken "out of context".

Perhaps you should read it and cite the parts that may have been misunderstood by so many people...

It was an absolutely disgraceful article for a Boaters Rep to write,I well remember Alan Fincher posting a link to it,

via Facebook I think.It was even defended by some people on here who should have known better, as being an accurate

representation of what was occurring.