Hit Again!

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Tom and Bex said:

I very rarely have any cash on me, and when at work regularly use contactless debit card to buy a 50p coffee from the local garage. Nothing to do with amount of money I do or don't have, just find it much easier and less hassle. 

What I do find annoying is having to write cheques for things where they won't take bank transfer or PayPal, or (even more annoying!) our local solid fuel supplier who only takes cash!

I will put it to you from the small business point of view such as mine and your coal supplier. If we start to take cards then more and more people will bring them and we would take a very large percentage of our takings by card payment which is of no benefit whatsoever to our business. For instance that would mean we would have to open a business account and there is only one winner there and that is the bank. Two, when paying suppliers we would have to travel miles to get money out as we ALWAYS pay cash as we will not deal with anyone who will not let us pay cash, the brewery included. Three, we would have to draw cash out to pay staff or faff about paying to their bank which they dont like and cash is more instant than the most instant of online banking methods. Three I would have to draw money out the bank for myself so what is the point in putting it there in the first place. We lose practicaly no one as the locals are all now trained and bring cash and there is a cash machine at the petrol station a mile away for others. Your local fuel supplier has 100 percent control of his business finances 100 percent of the time by cutting out our state owned banks as do I. The only time I use the bank is to put any into a savings account ( very rare as we prefer spending it ) there are odd occasions we use plastic but that is online when we have no choice from our private accounts.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

I will put it to you from the small business point of view such as mine and your coal supplier. If we start to take cards then more and more people will bring them and we would take a very large percentage of our takings by card payment which is of no benefit whatsoever to our business. For instance that would mean we would have to open a business account and there is only one winner there and that is the bank. Two, when paying suppliers we would have to travel miles to get money out as we ALWAYS pay cash as we will not deal with anyone who will not let us pay cash, the brewery included. Three, we would have to draw cash out to pay staff or faff about paying to their bank which they dont like and cash is more instant than the most instant of online banking methods. Three I would have to draw money out the bank for myself so what is the point in putting it there in the first place. We lose practicaly no one as the locals are all now trained and bring cash and there is a cash machine at the petrol station a mile away for others. Your local fuel supplier has 100 percent control of his business finances 100 percent of the time by cutting out our state owned banks as do I. The only time I use the bank is to put any into a savings account ( very rare as we prefer spending it ) there are odd occasions we use plastic but that is online when we have no choice from our private accounts.

I had a shop, approx. 50% of my takings were card, I had a small card reader that connected to an iPhone, you can set it to pay out to your bank every day, 7 days, 14 days or monthly. think it was in the region of 2.7% fee on every transaction.

Without it I would have lost money.

The term cutting your nose off comes to mind with people who say I will only deal with cash.

Just now, Dave Payne said:

I had a shop, approx. 50% of my takings were card, I had a small card reader that connected to an iPhone, you can set it to pay out to your bank every day, 7 days, 14 days or monthly. think it was in the region of 2.7% fee on every transaction.

Without it I would have lost money.

The term cutting your nose off comes to mind with people who say I will only deal with cash.

We were rammed last weekend we will be busy again this weekend we dont need to take cards its all about Location location location. Your iphone wouldnt work here as there is diddly squat signal :D I am not saying that all business can get away with not taking pain in the butt cards but mine can and so can the aforementioned coal supplier so why the hell would we mess about with them. I would lose money if I took cards.

A coal boat came past me last year on the ashby, I had no cash and needed coal, he didn't get my business, instead wickes did.

Ok, so a few bags of coal is not much, but how many people don't flag them down because they don't have cash?

5 years ago I always carried cash, now I rarely ever do, what will it be like in 5 years time?

Just now, mrsmelly said:

I will put it to you from the small business point of view such as mine and your coal supplier. If we start to take cards then more and more people will bring them and we would take a very large percentage of our takings by card payment which is of no benefit whatsoever to our business. For instance that would mean we would have to open a business account and there is only one winner there and that is the bank. Two, when paying suppliers we would have to travel miles to get money out as we ALWAYS pay cash as we will not deal with anyone who will not let us pay cash, the brewery included.

I am honestly shocked. I'm surprised ANY suppliers will deliver to you. Especially the brewery.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

We were rammed last weekend we will be busy again this weekend we dont need to take cards its all about Location location location. Your iphone wouldnt work here as there is diddly squat signal :D I am not saying that all business can get away with not taking pain in the butt cards but mine can and so can the aforementioned coal supplier so why the hell would we mess about with them. I would lose money if I took cards.

I find your business rather odd old chap. Is it some kind of nocturnal night shift only cafe as whenever I happen to log on here you seem to be always on too. :)

• Greenie 1

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

I am honestly shocked. I'm surprised ANY suppliers will deliver to you. Especially the brewery.

Hook Norton brewery a good old fashioned brewery who wanted us to have credit which they offer as standard but when we stated we only wanted to deal in cash they readily obliged. Our main supplier is Holdsworths a large national company who supply our dry and meat goods also allow us to do cash on delivery as do our local free range eggs suppliers.

Just now, bizzard said:

I find your business rather odd old chap. Is it some kind of nocturnal night shift only cafe as whenever I happen to log on here you seem to be always on too. :)

Nahh I am day off today and oft when I am at work I sneak on if we are quiet, its the perks of not having a boss I do as I want not what others want :D

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Hook Norton brewery a good old fashioned brewery who wanted us to have credit which they offer as standard but when we stated we only wanted to deal in cash they readily obliged. Our main supplier is Holdsworths a large national company who supply our dry and meat goods also allow us to do cash on delivery as do our local free range eggs suppliers.

Nahh I am day off today and oft when I am at work I sneak on if we are quiet, its the perks of not having a boss I do as I want not what others want :D

Oh, I see.:unsure:

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

That is one thing we can agree on today :rolleyes:

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Or customers ;)

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

That is one thing we can agree on today :rolleyes:

Or customers ;)

Its quiet in there today. I can see directly across from my boat into the caff and garden ( hellish commute :lol: ) tis quite cold here today. Off for an indian tonite with lanlady fromt local pub what ya fancy Rach?

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Its quiet in there today. I can see directly across from my boat into the caff and garden ( hellish commute :lol: ) tis quite cold here today. Off for an indian tonite with lanlady fromt local pub what ya fancy Rach?

Chicken pakora to start. Lamb Padina and a chapati to follow please. :cheers:

ETA: As it happens we are having indian tonight but one that I rustled up in the week to warm up tonight. Turkey madras with wholegrain basmati and vegetable pakora.

Edited by Naughty Cal

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I can accept that most customers of a café have enough cash on them to pay the bill, even though you must get a fair number who ask if they can pay by card. But the floating fuel supplier is in a different position. I may well have enough cash to buy a bag or two of coal to tide me over, but I am unlikely to have enough to pay to fill up the diesel tank. And unless I am very low, there's not much point in just putting £20's worth in. So the diesel boat loses my trade, and the next boatyard or fuel boat gets my custom instead.  

I rarely carry more than a couple of pound in cash, generally pay for everythng with a debit or credit card. Luckily checked with Mike on Victoria before getting diesel on one occasion as he didn't take cards so I had to go elsewhere for fuel. If I go in a cafe that  only takes cash I would generally go elsewhere.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Funnily enough most people still want to pay us by card but when we tell them cash only because they choose not to see the three large signs with it written on they say oh I will have to use the cash I have which I keep in :wacko:case I need it ...............well thats what cash is for ..............to spend.......its been around nearly for ever and yes you need it here. I pay my fuel boat every two/three weeks by cash, always have done I fail to see the need for peeps to use plastic when cash always works first time.

I think what deters people (myself included) in carrying around large quantities of cash is the security aspect of it. Should I find myself confronted in an underpass with a hooded yob with a knife, he gets my wallet which will rarely contain more than £20 in cash, the cards he will need to use very quickly because I'll be immediately on the phone to the bank cancelling them all, so my total loss will be probably no more than £50 (if he gets to use the card before I cancel it) and a bit of inconvenience. The ridiculous idea of the boatyard you refer to only taking a cash deposit of £1000 would instantly deter me from putting any trade their way. Not because of demanding a deposit which I would expect, but a cash deposit? So I've got to go to a bank to draw out £1000 (it would take 4 days to get that out of an ATM) just to give to them to look after so that when I return the boat undamaged I'm then stuck with £1000 in cash in my pocket which I don't really want, so I'll then take it back to the bank, what a pointless exercise:huh:. I don't find any attraction whatsoever in money, it is purely what can be done with it and if it is convenient to use a card that is what I will do. Neither do I care whether it is Sterling,dollars,Euros or Bitcoin it all does the same thing so I find it more of an annoyance than a pleasure to have pockets stuffed with cash, give me a card anyday.;)

22 hours ago, Tom and Bex said:

I hope you have a sign up in your cafe saying cash only! We'd not usually think of asking if a cafe took cards and would just expect it unless signs clearly stated otherwise. 

And if he has, Tim has no idea how many people/families walk on past who might otherwise have stopped and spent £20 or £40 on a whim.

I liken a business to a wall. Each of the bricks is a 'thing' you need to get right. Product, service, credit control, etc etc. Get one wrong (i.e. a brick is 'missing') and the wall remains standing but is a bit weaker. Too many bricks missing and the wall falls down and the business fails. Accepting all possible types of payment so as to hoover up all passing trade is one of those bricks. 

14 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I can accept that most customers of a café have enough cash on them to pay the bill, even though you must get a fair number who ask if they can pay by card. But the floating fuel supplier is in a different position. I may well have enough cash to buy a bag or two of coal to tide me over, but I am unlikely to have enough to pay to fill up the diesel tank. And unless I am very low, there's not much point in just putting £20's worth in. So the diesel boat loses my trade, and the next boatyard or fuel boat gets my custom instead.  

Funnily enough most people still want to pay us by card but when we tell them cash only because they choose not to see the three large signs with it written on they say oh I will have to use the cash I have which I keep in :wacko:case I need it ...............well thats what cash is for ..............to spend.......its been around nearly for ever and yes you need it here. I pay my fuel boat every two/three weeks by cash, always have done I fail to see the need for peeps to use plastic when cash always works first time.

7 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I fail to see the need to use cash when plastic works just fine.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I fail to see the need to use cash when plastic works just fine.

Try using plastic crap in a power cut. Just come home been busy as hell today Cash, cash, cash.

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Try using plastic crap in a power cut. Just come home been busy as hell today Cash, cash, cash.

True, but I would imagine most things in a cafe work off electricity, so how would you cook, make tea or coffee etc without electricity?  

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

True, but I would imagine most things in a cafe work off electricity, so how would you cook, make tea or coffee etc without electricity?  

The most important thing we sell is Beer. It needs no lectricity to dispense it and keeps cold for quite a long time after coolers fail so cash is still King :D

18 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

...except of course when you've picked up one of those dud £20 notes which many shops detect with either UV or a marker pen, then it doesn't work at all;).

I suppose that my cynicism of cash use dates back to when I was working as a decorator, a cash transaction usually never troubled the taxman. These days I note that Gypsy travellers and many Chinese Restaurants also only work in cash so I tend to wonder if anything has changed in the 40 years since I was a decorator.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

On 4/13/2017 at 16:03, mrsmelly said:

No you wouldn't, it would be done either by Direct Debit or BACS.  Our staff get paid automatically without fuss or bother every Monday.  Contactless is faster than cash and speeds up service at peak times.  

'Course the downside of all this is your turnover is recorded in a medium that can be investigated. :rolleyes: