Hit Again!

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We found the hire yards to be very helpful when we reported that one of their boats had struck ours on the Broads.

They were willing to repair any damage there and then, but as we were running out of time on the Broads they agreed that when we got back home we would inspect it and report back to them. As it happens no lasting damage was done, but they were willing to pay for the boat to be polished to remove the large scuff marks from the hire boat down the side of the boat.

Rightly so. As I said I can see no difference between a car and a boat. If someone causes damage other than minor damage to hull paint which is to be expected, they should pay for repair work as they would with a car. As for hire boats I do not know the level of deposit required but surely it should be sufficient to deter those who think that boating is a contact sport, and make them behave responsibly.

5 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

I hired a couple of years ago, the only deposit we paid was a fuel deposit of about £50 I think.

ABC hire to stag and hen parties, seen a couple come through Ansty last summer, weaving around with lads all over the roof.

Yes. That's bad news. I used to hire yachts on the Norfolk Broads in the sixties. Some of the hire companies had serious problems with all male crews on bigger motor cruisers and many began to stipulate no all male crews, and reserved the right to not hand over a boat. This might seem unfair but when six or eight young guys take out a forty foot cruiser and a few cases of beer it's asking for trouble. Perhaps when a serious accident occurs on the canals, which could  happen, the hire companies insurers will tighten things up.

19 hours ago, sailor0500 said:

Rightly so. As I said I can see no difference between a car and a boat. If someone causes damage other than minor damage to hull paint which is to be expected, they should pay for repair work as they would with a car. As for hire boats I do not know the level of deposit required but surely it should be sufficient to deter those who think that boating is a contact sport, and make them behave responsibly.

We have hired on the Broads later this year and there is a £45 damage waiver. This on a 35ft x 12ft cruiser. 

Some of the larger, newer boats have far bigger deposits.

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have hired on the Broads later this year and there is a £45 damage waiver. This on a 35ft x 12ft cruiser. 

Some of the larger, newer boats have far bigger deposits.

The hire fleet here allow single sex parties and for general information Hen parties are generaly worse than Stag parties. However there are very few complaints and a one thousand pound cash in hand deposit is taken at the start of hire, no grand no boat and quite often there are two or more boats in one group and its a grand per boat, no plastic money its got to be real folding stuff. This seems to work.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

The hire fleet here allow single sex parties and for general information Hen parties are generaly worse than Stag parties. However there are very few complaints and a one thousand pound cash in hand deposit is taken at the start of hire, no grand no boat and quite often there are two or more boats in one group and its a grand per boat, no plastic money its got to be real folding stuff. This seems to work.

Sounds good. That should concentrate minds.

Just now, sailor0500 said:

Sounds good. That should concentrate minds.

I completely agree and find it weird that its not the case throughout the country. I think it should be more but the fact it is REAL money that is held until returned with no complaints is the deciding factor. Boats can and are booked using plastic money but dont leave the yard until proper cash in hand is lodged. I have said before and its still true today that cash is King.

Who's got £1000 in cash, amongst the stag and hen partying folks,these days?

They mustn't get many takers.

I regularly see people buying their lunchtime sandwich with a credit card - maybe I just live in a poor place.

1 minute ago, DRP said:

I regularly see people buying their lunchtime sandwich with a credit card - maybe I just live in a poor place.

Eight in a party need only visit a cash machine on way to pick up boat and withdraw £150 each. Job sorted.

2 minutes ago, DRP said:

Heyford generally have four stag/hen boats out every weekend.

4 minutes ago, DRP said:

As Bastion has just said the hire fleet is all booked out virtualy every operating week..at present there is only one boat on the wharf. The popularity is amazing. A grand a boat is only 100 pounds each per person which when holidaying in Oxfordshire is diddly squat. Its only taken from single sex parties which is oft a mistake.

30 minutes ago, DRP said:

The average price of a house in Holderness is 105k for a terrace and 217k for detached. The average price here in Lower heyford last years house sales were 887k and the average house price is 562k with the cheapest terrace houses coming in at 331k the kind of peeps who rent the hire fleet here tend to turn up in Range Rovers not vauxhall vivas. This is the sad side of our country. I like Holderness and than god some people can still buy houses because even at those prices they are too much money for peoples homes. In this area working class ordinary people have zero chance of ever owning diddly.

Edited by mrsmelly

24 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The average price of a house in Holderness is 105k for a terrace and 217k for detached. The average price here in Lower heyford last years house sales were 887k and the average house price is 562k with the cheapest terrace houses coming in at 331k the kind of peeps who rent the hire fleet here tend to turn up in Range Rovers not vauxhall vivas. This is the sad side of our country. I like Holderness and than god some people can still buy houses because even at those prices they are too much money for peoples homes. In this area working class ordinary people have zero chance of ever owning diddly.

For the cost of Bastions Dream I get to live in some of the best villages in Oxfordshire

Just now, bastion said:

For the cost of Bastions Dream I get to live in some of the best villages in Oxfordshire

Yes you and me both and when I have had enough here I will bugger off on mi travels again round the system :D I am careful where I winter when on the move as beer prices and other things of such magnitude do play a part and find winter in the midlands is moooocho cheaper than many places.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, DRP said:

In Norway we found every one used credit cards, even for a cup of coffee, it doesn't make them hard up. I have friends who never carry cash something I can't get my head round.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

In Norway we found every one used credit cards, even for a cup of coffee, it doesn't make them hard up. I have friends who never carry cash something I can't get my head round.

I rarely have more than a tenner on me unless I'm going out to a 'do' where I will be buying drinks. Right now I think I have about three quid cash. I buy most things with a debit card. I only carry one 'credit' card and I haven't used it for years, so it has nothing to do with being rich or poor. 

11 hours ago, WotEver said:

I rarely have more than a tenner on me unless I'm going out to a 'do' where I will be buying drinks. Right now I think I have about three quid cash. I buy most things with a debit card. I only carry one 'credit' card and I haven't used it for years, so it has nothing to do with being rich or poor. 

I agree most very wealthy people have no real money on them. Personaly though I will rarely be without a minimum of 100 quid in my pocket and often more as proper money is instant and there are still many places ( mine included ) that only take real cash with the word sterling written on it and I would be too embarrased to try to buy anything anywhere for say as little as a tenner with a bit of plastic. It is also easier to know exactly how much money I have rather than accumulating lots of bits of paper or even worse ever using contactless. Its probably because I have no money and my upbringing was one of no debt, my parents paid their mortgage off at age 33 and never borrowed a penny from any where for anything ever again. Old fashioned I know but in life I have found especialy of late that old fashioned is much more sensible.

• Greenie 1

Just now, mrsmelly said:

I agree most very wealthy people have no real money on them. Personaly though I will rarely be without a minimum of 100 quid in my pocket and often more as proper money is instant and there are still many places ( mine included ) that only take real cash with the word sterling written on it and I would be too embarrased to try to buy anything anywhere for say as little as a tenner with a bit of plastic. It is also easier to know exactly how much money I have rather than accumulating lots of bits of paper or even worse ever using contactless. Its probably because I have no money and my upbringing was one of no debt, my parents paid their mortgage off at age 33 and never borrowed a penny from any where for anything ever again. Old fashioned I know but in life I have found especialy of late that old fashioned is much more sensible.

Not just wealthy people.

I very rarely have cash on me but will always have my debit card with me.

We only tend to carry cash when we are on holiday and out in the sticks where places might not have the facility to accept the debit card.

We were out with Liams father last night for a meal at a nice country pub. He was mortified that I handed over my debit card behind the bar to set up a tab. He is much the same as yourself, cash is king.

When Trig turned up at the Trotters and only Rodney was in.  Allo Dave, allo Trig, what do you want Trig? Nothing much Dave. Oh, alright but why have you popped in Trig?  Del told me to pop in, he said he'd give me a lift to the pub to save me walking.  Oh! but you've just walked past the pub to get here Trig.  I know Dave but Del said..............

I very rarely have any cash on me, and when at work regularly use contactless debit card to buy a 50p coffee from the local garage. Nothing to do with amount of money I do or don't have, just find it much easier and less hassle. 

What I do find annoying is having to write cheques for things where they won't take bank transfer or PayPal, or (even more annoying!) our local solid fuel supplier who only takes cash!

Edited by Tom and Bex

Just now, Tom and Bex said:

I very rarely have any cash on me, and when at work regularly use contactless debit card to buy a 50p coffee from the local garage. Nothing to do with amount of money I do or don't have, just find it much easier and less hassle. 

What I do find annoying is having to write cheques for things where they won't take bank transfer or PayPal, or (even more annoying!) our local solid fuel supplier who only takes cash!

We don't even own a cheque book anymore!