Nespresso only works on shore power

mross

Featured Posts

Probably not. The realistic option is to try it on a big pure sine wave inverter then buy one of that model. SOME appliances are simply fussy about the quality of the sine wave and the frequency and frequency stability of the source. There is also the possibility that the switch on surge of your Nespresso exceeds the current that your inverter can provide.

When you consider ratings remember that the surge rating of an inverter may be for 25ms or 50ms which is useless to most appliances.

Given a ferroresonant Constant Voltage Transformer you will be able to smooth out a lot of the problems of a dirty sine wave BUT they are heavy, specially made devices so will weigh a trim altering amount and not be budget. They are common in the USA but they are 120v output and designed for 60HZ and cost hundreds to ship here.

Probably the cheapest way is to buy a new coffee machine.

Apparently Aldi (or maybe Lidl) have one in their 'specials' this week.

Its just a 'suck it and see' if it will work, but if it doesn't, take it back.

Just bought one, its totally manual so unless it has a fancy pump motor and thermostat it shouldn't be bothered about wave shape. The down side its lotts of faffing about to use. Put the powdered coffee in, flush some hot water through to pre heat, fit the coffee holder and pump it through, no timer, empty the coffee holder, wash it through. A bit different to putting a cup under, putting a capsule in and just press the button,

The reason we bought one was its only 1100watts

Given a ferroresonant Constant Voltage Transformer you will be able to smooth out a lot of the problems of a dirty sine wave BUT they are heavy, specially made devices so will weigh a trim altering amount and not be budget. They are common in the USA but they are 120v output and designed for 60HZ and cost hundreds to ship here.

I doubt even that would give a good sine wave if fed with a square one

ditchcrawler, on 18 Jun 2016 - 11:03 AM, said:

Just bought one, its totally manual so unless it has a fancy pump motor and thermostat it shouldn't be bothered about wave shape. The down side its lotts of faffing about to use. Put the powdered coffee in, flush some hot water through to pre heat, fit the coffee holder and pump it through, no timer, empty the coffee holder, wash it through. A bit different to putting a cup under, putting a capsule in and just press the button,

The reason we bought one was its only 1100watts

I doubt even that would give a good sine wave if fed with a square one

I wonder whether it's a matter of power required rather than waveform.

If the cheapy inexpensive one consumes "only 1100 watts" how much does a "proper" machine consume?

The OP doesn't mention the power output of his inverter or the genny.

Maybe the problem lies with them.

It's a shame, because we love the taste and crema that the Nespresso provides. It seems that most domestic appliances now have a microprocessor and the power supply is not capable of using a 'dirty' supply. It's ironic that the electronics run on low voltage DC but we need to supply the damn machine with AC for the heater.

Nespresso machines are great but on a canal boat other than one permanently moored with a shore supply just seems plain bonkers to me.

I solve the problem with a cafetiere and Mrs P solves the problem by staying at home where the Nespresso machine is.

JP

• Greenie 1

Ultimately some things don't work on the cheap. If you want your machine then you will have to supply it with good quality sine wave mains equivalent. Also accept that it probably draws 3 - 4 KW for the first second which will cause many inverters to trip out even if they can support the running current.

Our Inissia runs on the output from the Mastervolt 2.5kw Omni, though a bit lumpier than from a conventional domestic supply, regardless of whether the beast is being fed from a shoreline or the output of the domestic alternator. There are plenty of volts at the socket but don't have a way of checking the quality of the sine wave.

Our Nespresso machine works perfectly using our Victron multi-plus 3000 pure sine wave invertor so I guess your problem stems from the modified wave form not being compatible with your machine.

Nesspresso models are produced by several different manufacturers. Ours is a basic model by Magimix.

I used it on another boat using its 2kw Sterling modified sine wave invertor and it works fine on that too.

Not sure what model it is but a pic of it is here

post-15371-0-07291000-1466252096_thumb.jpeg

If I knew what that was, I might love it too. Cream?

Crema is the stuff that sits on top of the coffee, usually thicker and a white creamy colour, its a natural process of putting water through ground coffee at pressure, some coffees like Indian malibar create a very large crema, others not so much, it has no real contribution to taste.

If the op prefers a thicker coffee then as already mentioned a stove top is the best way when on battery power.

Or maybe a handpresso or rok

https://www.handpresso.com/

http://www.rokkitchentools.com/

Our Nespresso machine works perfectly using our Victron multi-plus 3000 pure sine wave invertor so I guess your problem stems from the modified wave form not being compatible with your machine.

Nesspresso models are produced by several different manufacturers. Ours is a basic model by Magimix.

I used it on another boat using its 2kw Sterling modified sine wave invertor and it works fine on that too.

Not sure what model it is but a pic of it is here

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

AIUI, all Nespressos use the same engine inside a variety of external casings and operating controls.

Off topic perhaps, but neither I nor Mrs Stilllearning will have such a machine in the house, for various reasons not the least of which is cost.

Personal choice and all that, and no doubt they make lovely coffee.

Re the "crema" I am sure that somewhere I saw that robusta coffee makes more foam than arabica. It tastes better too, IMO. Our local Intermarché sells robusta coffee in its top budget range for about 4€ a kilo.

You are making the mistake of thinking like a boater rather than about how to make your house float.

JP

That's a ridiculous thing to suggest. Time moves on, things improve, new things are created, and we are all entitled to use them, wherever we like, assuming we can make them work. Some things that we use in our houses improve life aboard, for some of us, so why not.

I have a Nespresso machine, and it works fine from my Sterling 2500W Pure Sine Wave inverter charger.

Given that I rarely use more than a few cups from a typical packet of coffee before it goes off and is wasted, the cost of Nespresso capsules is actually extremely efficient and cost effective, for me.