Grass cutting on Staffs and Worcs.

Derek Porteous

Featured Posts

The grass verges have been cut in the Swindon area. It seems to be protocol to dump the grass cuttings into the canal. They then of coursr accumulate at the locks. There is no choice but to steer the boat throigh a mat of green foliage. This in turn clogs the propeller resulting in a loss of power especially in reverse. In three separate locks we had to bow haul the boat out and had numerour trips down the weed hatch.

A passer by told us it was standard practice to dump the cuttings in the canal as the cost of disposal was too high. Why not leave them in situ?

Doesn't make for an easy life for the boater.

Are you sure they're actually dumping cuttings in the canal, or is it perhaps the arisings from cutting by a line trimmer or brushcutter?

Pretty sure. Saw the sit on mower trundle along which left the cuttings on the ground. The previously cut stretch was clear of clippings so I assume someone followed up with an air blower, although I didn't see that. We are talking about a LOT of cuttings over many miles.

Pretty sure. Saw the sit on mower trundle along which left the cuttings on the ground. The previously cut stretch was clear of clippings so I assume someone followed up with an air blower, although I didn't see that. We are talking about a LOT of cuttings over many miles.

Then I'd agree that it seems a bit off. Decomposing grass could adversely affect oxygen levels to the detriment of aquatic life. I can't see CRT's eco champions condoning that practice from their contractors.

I've only really ever seen odd stray grass, not mounds of clippings. It can't make an impressive carpet but nothing like enough to effect a prop. That is surely a serous lot? Not sure.

Daniel

I've only really ever seen odd stray grass, not mounds of clippings. It can't make an impressive carpet but nothing like enough to effect a prop. That is surely a serous lot? Not sure.

Daniel

Wanna bet? I took a beautiful birds nest of long grass off the prop today, courtesy of a recent grass cutting exercise on the Coventry

Richard

Yeah? Not an issue I have ever had and we're on the Coventry. Maybe the larger blade is left effected?

Daniel

That would make sense. A nest of grass eight inches in diameter isn't going to bother Emily Anne much

Richard

Its an air blower being used mixed with a strimmer cutting with the grass flying into the water. The CRT workmen have been cussing for the last two weeks. Its not the CRT themselves, they subcontract the grass cutting out to a company that just doesn't get that the grass should not go in the water. Often people don't engage their brains to consequences of their actions beyond what effects them directly.

We had to pull over twice once at Stourport and a second time at Kidderminster the day it had been cut. If only I could have caught them in the act and mentioned why grass shouldn't go in. At Stourport an old time boater said "nah it wont be grass, grass doesn't get caught" but he took his words back as a good couple of hand fulls were pulled out

Edited by Pennie

different canal, but they where cutting grass at the locks last week between Kintbury and Newbury on the K&A last week. Not sure if we had arrived before it was 'blown' into the canal but it was still left along the towpath by the locks. Made me sneeze!

Just observed the grass cutting technique at the bottom of the Hatton Flight. Mower cuts the grass and a man with a mechanical blower follows blowing all the cuttings into the canal. Here it is absolutely no problem with the grass verge being narrow and the grass reasonably low, unlike the long tangled grasd on wide verges up on the Staffs and Worcs.

they subcontract the grass cutting out to a company that just doesn't get that the grass should not go in the water. Often people don't engage their brains to consequences of their actions beyond what effects them directly.

CRT are legally bound to ensure that their contractor has an approved method statement, which follows CRT's HSE principles, which should include undertaking an environmental risk assessment.

The latter should throw up the consequences of dumping grass in the cut.

It would seem someone (everyone) from CRT needs to get their act together.

CRT are legally bound to ensure that their contractor has an approved method statement, which follows CRT's HSE principles, which should include undertaking an environmental risk assessment.

The latter should throw up the consequences of dumping grass in the cut.

It would seem someone (everyone) from CRT needs to get their act together.

Maybe their assessment doesn't see that as a problem

Possible and maybe the contractors are ignoring the CRT assessment.

Doubt it. They use the same technique on the Coventry, but cut the grass at least every couple of weeks in summer. Occasionally the day after the contractors cut it, I see a CRT man the day after, who is presumably checking that it has been done properly.

However the OP said that the grass on the S&W was really long, so perhaps CRT only check when it is fairly close to one of their offices?

I think it would take a matt of floating grass cuttings a foot thick before it affected my prop. Also if I do see floating debris I take the engine out of gear and let the momentum of the boat take me through, just knocking it into gear for a couple of seconds at a time if I need some steering. A prop that's not spinning picks up a lot less rubbish.

It may sound obvious but the number of boaters I see who just plough straight through floating rubbish in gear suggests that it isn't.

There is much that is obvious to certain boaters...pulling out of gear through rubbish or in suspect bridge holes are but a couple of instances. Common sense is not always evident. I won't go on.....

Dave

You must have a very slippery boat Dave. The grass cuttings that caught us covered over a mile

The bridge hole tip is standard defensive boating on parts of the BCN wink.png

Richard