River soar leicestershire

Still-waters

Featured Posts

The flow is currently at 22m3sq. At pillings, which means the red light will be on at Barrow still I believe. Levels are ok, just waiting on that flow. It generally goes green when the flow is down to 15.

The river Soar is different in different locations. Where you are moored is at the downstream cut of the Soar City Flood protection scheme.

Basically, the Soar has been managed to protect Leicester and then Loughborough, then everywhere else - in that order.

The river below you can be very swiftly affected by storm drain run off from the city itself, along with rain in the upper catchment area from the Soar, Sense and other tributaries.

The depth level where you are is more important than the flow speed.

There are two hairy bits below you, the old A6 bridge at Thurmaston Lane, and the sharp left with the wier on the outside just above Birstall Lock.

If you can see the amber a couple of inches through the water, it will be safe enough to proceed.

I was on the canal section yesterday through Loughborough, as far downstream just past Bishop Meadow lock where the River Soar rejoins. I turned around here and the current from the Soar was normal or possibly less than normal. The gauges indicate normal and there is no navigation restriction from CRT.

In fact the only problem that I encountered was the inflatable with 3 gentlemen travelling at about 20 knots busy emptying the canal onto the towpath!!

Just received email from CRT confirming that the Soar is now out of flood.

Edit: to add CRT Notice

Edited by keith.

What is the latest position on the Soar and Trent?

I am in Foxton and do not really want to proceed until the Soar is ok.

Frank.

I'm at Foxton at the moment too Frank and heading that way asap, did you move yet.?

4 boats have just moored up on the lock landing above junction lock, so I'm guessing that it's just gone red again here after today's downpours. It should be ok again tomorrow if we don't get more, we've really not come up much and the flow isn't bad.

A further update - we travelled from Loughborough to Sileby this afternoon. No problems at Pillings Flood lock - about 6ins below the red but the radial flood gate was partially open so a good flow.

Light at Barrow was green. Mountsorrel in amber only 2ins below red. Sileby still just red and had only fallen 2ins all day. This seems to indicate that there was more rain yesterday around Melton and Leicester than Loughborough.

Sileby Mill wouldn't let their day boats out but Barrow boating did.

The current through Barrow bridge was quite strong - I had to hold against it whilst a Peter Le Marchant wide beam came through ( down stream boats have right of way) and was at about 1200rpm which is normally about 2.5mph in still waters.

As we've had a dry day today levels should fall again overnight. Further rain will quickly bring levels up again as the ground is currently saturated.

I'm at Foxton at the moment too Frank and heading that way asap, did you move yet.?

Terryb

I went to Market Harborough for a couple of days, came back to Foxton last night.

Planning to move onward tomorrow or Saturday.

Terryb

I went to Market Harborough for a couple of days, came back to Foxton last night.

Planning to move onward tomorrow or Saturday.

Now at Mountsorrel where water levels are in the orange but will probably improve tomorrow as the forecast is for drier weather.

P.S. Passed you yesterday Terryb - amazing paint job!

Edited by frahkn

You must have passed us above junction lock too!

Oh, didn't realise or we would have stopped and had a chat.

Still done nothing about the refit - if procrastination was in the olympics I would be a favourite for a medal!

All the best.

Frank.