Burscough Heritage Weekend

Pluto

Featured Posts

Anyone going? We will be there with Kennet all weekend, and I am giving a talk on the L&LC's history at the Stanley Institute at 7-30 on Friday evening. There are also guided walks, so you can find out more about what was a major centre for boating families, with plenty of recognisable boatmen's houses still to be seen.

Anyone going? We will be there with Kennet all weekend, and I am giving a talk on the L&LC's history at the Stanley Institute at 7-30 on Friday evening. There are also guided walks, so you can find out more about what was a major centre for boating families, with plenty of recognisable boatmen's houses still to be seen.

I arrived last night in horrendous weather having had a very unpleasant time in that bloody deep lock.

Was great to see some nice big boats though already in attendance. Mersey looked fantastic and I'm looking forward to a peek at Kennet over the weekend. I also have interest in Viktoria as my first boat 'Albion' was built inside her.

I hope to come to your talk tonight Mike, is it ok to bring a well behaved dog?

I hope to come to your talk tonight Mike, is it ok to bring a well behaved dog?

That's something I've never been asked, and can't really answer as I have not been inside the venue before, only passed it on the road.

I really enjoyed seeing Mersey and Ribble over the weekend.

Obviously I always enjoy seeing Kennet, Victoria and ambush. But seeing boats I've never seen before, especially ones looking as good as Mersey and Ribble is a pleasure.

Edited by kris88

I had a great time at Burscough, and you're not wrong Kris, Ribble did indeed look fantastic (that's coming from somebody who knows naff all about fat boats.

20160619_140225_zpsbkzg6yjb.jpg

Us skinny 'Historics',although in the minority, were made to feel very welcome by all. Infact ex.GUCCCo GREENLAW won 'Best decorated boat & crew', whilst i won 'Furthest distance travelled since June 1st' with HALSALL. Prize money was £25 which i donated straight back to the restoration of AMBUSH & VICTORIA as i did feel sightly guilty seeing as i probably wouldn't have done 200miles & 107 locks had i not needed to.

It was also nice to meet Pluto (Mike Clarke) of this parish, who gave a fantastic free talk on the history of the L&L on Friday evening. Thanks Mike, i learnt a lot.

My main reason for going was that the festival was to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the first cutting of the Leeds & Liverpool Canal, which took place at Halsall (the place), so i couldn't miss the opportunity to take Halsall to Halsall and grab a few photos.

20160617_124455_zpswd5jlxyj.jpg

20160617_124513_zpsac6aljwx.jpg

I'm now headed back to familiar territory and looking forward to a life without swing bridges.

Edited by junior

Good photos junior, I had a great weekend pity we always end up getting digs miles from the events. I would have liked to gone to the event on sat night, oh well can't have everything. The highlight for me was seeing some photos of my boat in its working days( Ive never seen any before.) hopefully I'll get copies. It's always fun talking to Derrick, you have to take your hat off to him for keeping ambush and Victoria going.

Peter you would have really enjoyed it all in all a very good event.

Regards kris

Ps you get used to the swing bridges, but they are still a pain on your own.

Edited by kris88