Progress

rivergate

Featured Posts

Im looking for a mooring somewhere? within an hours drive from Thrapston....havnt found anywhere yet...there are a couple of places on the Nene but Id rather be on the Grand Union if I can find a place...

Debdale? Market Harborough or Northampton but they are quite a long hour away.

Obviously a variation on the expression "a Derbyshire mile" - locals reckon that because of the tortuously twisting lanes of Derbyshire, a mile seems longer than it would elsewhere.

RG, you've got yourself a looker there. Well done.

Edited by Athy

..very pleased with my new boat ...hope its ok to share here ..? smile.png

More than OK to share here. Warmest CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I'd love to have bought PROGRESS myself, but I know from experience I don't lavish the time and attention a wooden boat needs on even my current steel boat, so PROGRESS would have gone downhill fast under my ownership.

Very jealous :)))

R there 2 Thrapstons then? I was thinking of the one near Corby area

No, there R (usually written as "are" by the way) not as far as I know.

Thrapston has a lovely pub and inn called the Court House - I'm sure that the OP knows it if he lives in the town.

Incidentally, there ARE two Birstalls: when I first heard the shocking news about Mrs. Cox yesterday I assumed that the assassination had taken place near Leicester, as I had not heard of the Birstall in Yorks.

Thanks guys - Im super happy with both Progress and to be back on the cut :) ..its been a few years but I always knew I would be back! :)

Im trying to find a friendly mooring around the Grand Union somewhere/maybe Bottom Road? or North Oxford but southern Oxford is a bit far of a drive - thanks for the idea tho :)

?

Thanks guys - Im super happy with both Progress and to be back on the cut :) ..its been a few years but I always knew I would be back! :)

Im trying to find a friendly mooring around the Grand Union somewhere/maybe Bottom Road? or North Oxford but southern Oxford is a bit far of a drive - thanks for the idea tho :)

?

If the bottom road is in scope how about Hawkesbury* - centre of the universe. I think there's a CRT mooring available there. Is that too far or too CRT?

Progress is a fantastic boat. Really looking forward to bumping into it somewhere (not too hard of course) and preferably on the BCN.

JP

* - my paternal grandfather was the organist at Hawkesbury church (I would guess in pre-war days) but not only do I have no idea where the church was I wouldn't even know where any place called Hawkesbury is. The best I could do would be to direct you to Sutton Stop. And all my immediate family lived no more than a mile from the place when I was young. I think the name is derived from the hall and associated colliery.

Hi Captain Pegg

I know the Stop - was tied up there for around 6 months with my pair while recovering from an injury ( note to self - never put your hand into a table saw again ) ....but it was BWB in my day :)

How do CRT moorings work ...? Progress is on one currently - I think one bids for it? but where do I go to find out...? Thanks

FadetoScarlet

I haven't yet but I guess I should do .....I wasn't a member before but I do browse their website :) so I guess its only fair....:)

There were multiple marina offering considerable discounts for historic boats, but I;m no longer certain I can remember which.

Possibly Wigrams and/or Ventnor Farm (certainly in that rough area).

Worth asking around as people were getting moorings as little as half price, I think.

There were multiple marina offering considerable discounts for historic boats, but I;m no longer certain I can remember which.

Possibly Wigrams and/or Ventnor Farm (certainly in that rough area).

Worth asking around as people were getting moorings as little as half price, I think.

MTB will know, i think he's got one.

Hi Captain Pegg

I know the Stop - was tied up there for around 6 months with my pair while recovering from an injury ( note to self - never put your hand into a table saw again ) ....but it was BWB in my day :)

How do CRT moorings work ...? Progress is on one currently - I think one bids for it? but where do I go to find out...? Thanks

www.watersidemooring.com

Use the search facility at the top of the page and it will give you a map of vacant moorings. The one at Hawkesbury is a 53' 5" offside mooring for £1,574 a year.

Most vacant moorings outside of London are now available to buy directly on the website without auction. The disadvantage is that they are sold at what would have been the guide price in the days they were all auctioned when in reality many were sold at the lower reserve price.

Interesting you call it 'the Stop'. That's the only other name I ever heard it called other than Sutton Stop by locals. Never 'Suttons'. Not that I doubt that working boaters used that name as there is lots of evidence they did and probably a few still do.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

www.watersidemooring.com

Use the search facility at the top of the page and it will give you a map of vacant moorings. The one at Hawkesbury is a 53' 5" offside mooring for £1,574 a year.

Ooh, I'm tempted - though the surrounding area is only moderate, Hawkesbury junction is a superb and historic waterways location with very good facilities. If it's close enough to your home, RG, seriously consider it.

I think those offside moorings are on the side where the old pump house is. Mmm, I sho' am tempted...

hi

there is mooring at tuttle hill Nuneaton br24 - this is crt - also Hinckley boat club and top of the ashby canal snarstone

Last time I passed there (last September) it looked almost deserted. Are CART trying to run it down?