Shooting of liveaboard boater Jo Cox MP

magictime

Featured Posts

I have been really upset by this. Britain needs more people like Jo, full of compassion and the energy to make a difference to other people's lives. I feel proud to be British while there are people like her, but ashamed that there is so much hatred being stirred-up. Desperately sorry for her family and friends.

Dave Edwards

Sophie-Jane No.2

• Greenie 3

People are often quick to condemn MPs saying they are only out for themselves, have their snouts in the trough, etc etc, but many (most, probably) when you scratch the surface turn out to be wonderful committed people who are genuinely there trying to make the UK and the world a better place.

Jo Cox was an excellent example and a great loss to us all.

• Greenie 3

Please let's not turn this thread into a way of venting our political spleens/agendas.

A good person has been lost and folk have a lot of sympathy for Jo Cox's death and the awful position her family now find themselves.

Edited by Lady Muck
Politics
  • Greenie 3

Please let's not turn this thread into a way of venting our political spleens/agendas.

A good person has been lost and folk have a lot of sympathy for Jo Cox's death and the awful position her family now find themselves.

indeed , this has probably nothing to do with current debates , the guy was just a nutter and nutters will grab onto everything , Just because an IS terrorist shouts Allah akbar doesnt mean he is representitive of the moslem faith . Same applies here

Lets just spare a thought for her family and friends and the life wasted by a complete nutter who will and should be locked up in an institution and key thrown away .

I don't often say much on the forum but on this occasion I feel I should. I think MtB got it exactly right, MPs are often thought of, as a group, as being in it for their own good, in fact most are genuine, caring people who want to do good for others. Jo Cox was clearly one of those and her senseless death is a loss to our society and our democracy.

• Greenie 2

Without wanting to associate myself with the particular comments made by StarUKKiwi about the Leave campaign as a whole, I don't think this incident can simply be dismissed as some sort of random act by 'a nutter'. Yes, it seems Tommy Mair had a long history of mental health problems, but it also seems he had a long history of association with far-right hate groups. It can't be a coincidence that the violence inside him has bubbled to the surface just as anti-immigration feeling has reached such a high pitch and taken on such an ugly aspect - e.g. that poster released by Nigel Farage (NOT the official Leave campaign) yesterday.

This piece on the Spectator site is very good, I think:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/a-day-o

I think when a year or two has passed and people look back on these times and perhaps study them with the benefit of historical perspective it will become clear that public opinion has been horribly perverted by some very unpleasant people. There are quite 'nice' people I know who hold some shocking opinions. The likes of Farage and columnists in 'family' newspapers have legitimised the holding of the most hate filled attitudes. Its not that difficult to turn people into monsters. People in my own family who used to be on the 'reasonable right' are now, frankly, almost racist neo Nazis. Thing is that they still think they are reasonable.

• Greenie 3

This ^^^ .... and a gentle reminder; please don't turn this thread on the tragic death of Jo Cox to political debate.

Thanks,

LCx

I can think of nothing new to say on this. Sadness and grief and thoughts of little children left motherless. Poor Jo, poor family, poor people.