Sunken Wooden top

Featured Posts

The thread has moved on, but from the 'buying a sunk boat' thread.

I saw the ebay advert a few days ago, and my first main thought was of the wooden top. Obviously it could get quite wet before lasting damage occurs, but if its been submerged for several weeks or longer, what is the likelihood of of the top still being ok. My gut feeling is the salvage costs will write the whole job off unless you are able to DIY it which would not be a task for the inexperienced. However I also suspect you would have to write off the wooden top cabin in the process?

Daniel

The thread has moved on, but from the 'buying a sunk boat' thread.

I saw the ebay advert a few days ago, and my first main thought was of the wooden top. Obviously it could get quite wet before lasting damage occurs, but if its been submerged for several weeks or longer, what is the likelihood of of the top still being ok. My gut feeling is the salvage costs will write the whole job off unless you are able to DIY it which would not be a task for the inexperienced. However I also suspect you would have to write off the wooden top cabin in the process?

Daniel

There was a thread a year or two ago by the owner of another wooden top sunken boat, sunk on the Wey IIRC. The top was completely gone when the hull was eventually raised.

There was a thread a year or two ago by the owner of another wooden top sunken boat, sunk on the Wey IIRC. The top was completely gone when the hull was eventually raised.

Sounds fair

But then there was the thread about the couple who bought the boat that was marooned on the bank at Tewkesbury and completely replaced the wooden top with one made out of old pallet wood. Quite successfully if I recall :)

An old Harborough boat of that age in that condition is scrap. They weren't built to last. The tops always had problems. You can find a much better boat for the money elsewhere without the hassle attached to this one.

But then there was the thread about the couple who bought the boat that was marooned on the bank at Tewkesbury and completely replaced the wooden top with one made out of old pallet wood. Quite successfully if I recall smile.png

Not heard from them lately have we. didn't they have a fire on board just after finishing it?

It depends on the construction of the cabin frames.

If they are nice fat lumps of wood then it can be reskinned in a few days.

If it is a Harborough Marine, with a GRP top and lathwood frames then rip it all off and start again (or scrap it get another project).

Old Harboroughs are lovely looking hulls let down by dodgy plastic lids.

Old Harboroughs are lovely looking hulls let down by dodgy plastic lids.

Indeed, they are built like brick-shithouses and I would disagree with Laurence that they weren't built to last. Or rather they may not have been built to 'last' but they were certainly built to withstand a lot of abuse.

So what happens from here on? Do CRT give the owner a period of time before they recover the boat (at the owner's expense)?

I guess it depends if it is in a place that is causing a problem

Richard

i would think a sunk woodentop would look ok when it is lifted but the problems show when it starts to dry out.

nah will be fine, swabbing the decks will help, worked many moons ago.

OMG i just googled swabbing the decks down, you DONT ant to know what i means, unless your that way inclined.blink.pngwacko.png

Edited by W+T

nah will be fine, swabbing the decks will help, worked many moons ago.

OMG i just googled swabbing the decks down, you DONT ant to know what i means, unless your that way inclined.blink.pngwacko.png

So curiosity got the better and I googled it. Eeurghhh.

Back on topic, I would concur that the boat in question would be nothing more than a liability. The bidding is bonkers and I would imagine few of the bidders have had a boat before let alone experience of raising one.

I guess it depends if it is in a place that is causing a problem

Richard

If its the one on the Avon is that CRT or another authority? I would guess that the authorities have probably given the owner a deadline by which time it has to be removed and if it isn't they will do a "professional" salvage/scrapping and pursue the owner for costs.

That's why its on eBay I reckon.

Or it is a joke listing ?

I reckon this boat, and one or two others, have moored in a sort of no mans land, so its quite possible there will be some delays in deciding which authority, if any, is responsible for removing the boat. They are on the off side almost opposite where the K&A canal joins the Avon, so might be just outside CaRT waters on the short run up to Paultney weir. The bank they are moored to is effectively wasteland, so its possible that Bath Council have no control. A while ago a Dutch barge managed to anchor in that bit of water for ages.

..............Dave

I just had to look didn`t I Wooly ....rolleyes.gif

Pass on that one ......biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Back on topic, I would concur that the boat in question would be nothing more than a liability. The bidding is bonkers and I would imagine few of the bidders have had a boat before let alone experience of raising one.

I think you have covered it , and entirely.

I reckon this boat, and one or two others, have moored in a sort of no mans land, so its quite possible there will be some delays in deciding which authority, if any, is responsible for removing the boat. They are on the off side almost opposite where the K&A canal joins the Avon, so might be just outside CaRT waters on the short run up to Paultney weir. The bank they are moored to is effectively wasteland, so its possible that Bath Council have no control. A while ago a Dutch barge managed to anchor in that bit of water for ages.

..............Dave

Now, I wonder: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.3768958,-2.3554166,3a,42.6y,10.25h,80.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sm50HMULNRT-XBdya2J8WSA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Richard