traveling on the Aire and Calder

lawzy

Featured Posts

Hey guys, I know its late but if i don't do this now i will put it off until it is too late. i am sorta new to all things boating boat.gif and I have a small narrow boat on stainforth and keadby canal and was wanting to take my boat towards leeds for a holiday in july which would mean i would have to travel on the A&C navigation. Now from what i understand, the A&C Navigation is a commercial river and therefore tidal but i was wondering how difficult it would be for me (a novice with about 1 weeks narrowboat holiday experience, a little experience on the river hull and 1 trip on somebody elses boat on the humber.) to travel on this stretch of water?

i should say that on the river hull and humber i had somebody else with me with alot more knowledge about the river hull and humber so tides and the routes was all done through him.

is there anything i should know about?

is there a website that would tell me tide times and a schedule for the comerical traffic?

is the bottom full of rubbish like the river hull or shallow like the humber?

is it beyond my capabilities?

does my bum look big in my 28ft narrowboat?

thanks in advance,

Lawzy

None of the Aire & Calder is tidal. You will get onto the river at Ferrybridge, where there is a very large lock, electrically operated, as are all the A&C locks. If you see an orange light, then operate the lock yourself. Green means there is a lockie there and the lock is ready - just go in (unless there is a bloody great barge just behind you, of course!). Red means the lockie is there, but the lock is not ready for you. Flashing red means the lock is closed because of high river levels.

There are no particular problems, even for a relative novice. There is a lot less commercial traffic these days.

The non-river sections are wide and deep, but the river can be shallow on the inside of bends, so don't cut corners.

Actually the most difficult point on your route isn't on the A&C, but on the New Junction canal at Sykehouse Lock, where there is a bridge across the middle of the lock and everything has to be done in the right order. Don't worry - everybody gets confused there!

The A&C isn't tidal, but it does have (at present) one large barge running on it, approximately once a week between Goole and Rotherham. Your route only coincides with it for the length of the New Junction Canal. CRT in Leeds should be able to tell you when it's running, but in reality, if you meet it on the New Junction you shouldn't have a problem.

The route is broad and deep and wide all the way and the biggest potential issue is checking that the river portions are not in flood. Sign up to the CRT notices/stoppages alert system and watch the weather and forecasts to keep on top of this.

Dave

As others have already said none of the navigable River Aire is tidal but it is a river so does have a flow unlike the canals. In the wet weather we are experiencing now the River levels will be higher than "normal" summer levels and the flow will be increased. There are flood locks along the navigation to keep the river water from flooding the canal sections. You want to be on the canal side of any locks when they are shut to navigation.

It is an interesting run from Keadby through to Leeds. We did the trip some years ago now from Lincoln to Goole along the A&C and then back to the Trent at Keadby. We did the trip when the commercial traffic was still very much in operation and had to keep a close look out for the barges.

The Exol pride seems to run twice a week. From Goole to Rotherham on a Tuesday, back on Wednesday to Goole, then back to Rotherham again today[thursday] Then returning to Goole tomorrow [Friday] They dont seem to travel as fast as they used to so if you meet them like I have dont worry plenty of time to get ot of the way.

The A&C was the first river navigation we ever cruised (in a 24ft narrowboat with a 10hp outboard). Although it seemed like a big deal at the time - having to buy an anchor and lifejackets, warnings about gigantic barges - in reality there's nothing to it. It's not tidal and the flow is gentle in good weather (just pay attention to the 'traffic light' boards at locks); really, it's just on a bigger scale than the canals (the water being wider and the locks bigger).

Going off what has been said i wont have a problem.

Might have to take a look at the locks at sykeshouse prior to going on the actual holiday though im not a fan of getting stuck like when we was on the hire boat not fat from bingley.

I have an anchor and a small collection of life jackets so they wont be a problem either.

P.s thank you for all your replys.

Edited by lawzy

If your on your tod, you may find the lock at Lemonroyd a little dauting due to it's drop and size. If you call in at the marina their's usually someone around who can do the lock for you.

Edited by Robbo

Sykehouse Lock is normally manned nowadays, especially in the mornings. We have been through a couple of times in the last couple of weeks. The volunteer locky was excellent.

well that would make my life a tad easier if it was manned. i am assuming i would have to call ahead first though?

well that would make my life a tad easier if it was manned. i am assuming i would have to call ahead first though?

No need to call ahead observe the lights as detailed earlier in the post (although when we went through the other week light went to green so we approached expecting Gates to open then when we got to them went red and I had to reverse back to the mooring and wait!). Going up is a bit bumpy you may need to tie to the points within the lock. As stated previously if it's unmanned it's a bit big to do on your own without getting some help.

Edited by tonyt40
  • Greenie 1