Trent in flood

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

The Trent doesn't affect where you are, but will stop you escaping up or down for a bit of it carries on raining.

The Soar has also gone into flood today - I hope hire companies are advising boaters to stay put for the next day or two.

http://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Map

The Trent levels are slowly rising and we are moored in the Nottingham Cut near Sainsbury's. Presumably we are reasonably safe from being flooded and ending up on the towpath?

Here's a useful site. It gives you water levels and flood info.

http://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Map

Trent at Newark is about 2' 6" - 3' above summer height. I was planning on heading towards Nottingham but don't reckon I'll get under the Newark bridge (shape of the arch) I am 9' 9" air draft with full tanks and everything folded flat - problem is I am 14' wide almost all the way up.

Decided to head downstream towards Trent end and stop at Cromwell for the night.

River 5-6 feet higher than normal summer levels (around 13-14 feet where previously it was as low as 6 feet but more normally 8 feet)

Arrived at Cromwell and found several narrowboats moored up as they cannot make it against the flow (which I estimate at around 4knts-4.5 mph)

Maybe Saxilby tomorrow ?

Unfortunately we won't be around much this weekend. We are (we think) only going to be down on Friday evening and Saturday morning. Then we are off to a party in Bolsover on Saturday evening. Not sure if we will be back on the boat on Sunday or not.

Trent at Beeston seemed to rise slowly until

Wednesday when shot up and very high Thursday morning. had fallen a little by last night which surprised me as we've had so much rain. It did appear someone had gone through the lock to go upstream. I'd have thought that would have been at best tricky.

Trent is well up at Kings Bromley and Drakelow according to the EA flood site, and that's before the Dove and the Derwent have joined it. So I wouldn't expect it to go down at Trent Lock any time soon. Haven't seen a stoppage notice, but I'd guess that Alrewas is closed as well.

ETA have just had the stoppage for Alrewas: closed ufn.

Edited by BruceinSanity

Update from Cromwell :

11 feet of 'fresh' and rising.

River closed to narrowboats.

Apparently flood gates are closed / closing at Newark

We took less than 2 hours Cromwell to Torksey (16 miles)

Cruising at 4.5 Knts

4 Knts current

Arrived at Torksey to be met by a newbie narrowboater who asked me if it was normal to take over 8 hours from Keadby to Torksey.

Explained about currents and heading upstream.

He is heading for the Wash and intends to hire a pilot and happy he doesn't need a new engine.

Edited by Alan de Enfield