Reports on the Stratford Avon & Severn river conditions.

Tony Brooks

Featured Posts

I am asking here rather than in Holidays because I suspect many like me, do not go to Holidays very often, by all means move.

I need to decide whether to go down the Avon next week, then to Gloucester and Sharpness before returning the Stourport but the amount of rain we have had makes me suspect the current in both rivers may be getting dangerous so I am asking for feedback from boaters over the next three weeks or so.

Many thanks.

For the River Severn, I suggest giving either Gloucester or Diglis lock a call. The lock keepers are very experienced and helpful. They will also let you know if any very high tides are forecast for your travel days which may come over the weir making the river around Gloucester very dangerous for a few hours.

Gloucester - 01452310832

Diglis - 01905354289

We are on the G&S at the moment, we will be going up the Severn and the Avon to Stratford (for the river festival) starting on the 27th, so I have been keeping an eye on the river levels. They do not seem to have gone up too much yet from the low level that they were at. So right now I don't think you have an issue, it is all about if we get more heavy rain.

As you are going down the Avon, I would say your first point of contact with CRT for the Severn should be Upper Lode lock (01684 293138). If you have not done Upper Lode to Gloucester before, you need to know how it works, and Upper Lode will explain all that.

if you want some idea of current conditions on the avon in real time have a look at the farson digital watercams website. various cameras are

situated between stratford on avon and tewkesbury. some have a close up of the water gauge. strensham lock is an good one to assess the current levels. there is some advertising when you first enter the site but it is very handy for the lower avon area down to tewkesbury. it includes lower lode and gloucester docks on the severn

Given the amount of rain falling in Birmingham yesterday and today it wouldn't surprise me if the river levels don't rise over the next few days. Broad Street had a fair amount of water running down it yesterday afternoon.

The Avon is up about 18" at the moment but still navigable. It might come up another 6" over the next 24 hours.

It's meant to be dry tonight and then light showers tomorrow and Friday, dry over the weekend, so it will be dropping off again just as quickly.

The only stoppage is amber Diglis to Upper Lode, is it really closed above there? Looking at the EA gauges it is the lower part of the river where it has gone up a lot so that makes sense.

Sorry for a naive question,but how do they 'close' the Severn.?

Close the locks?

It would be a real shame to stick to the canals as you will miss the opportunity to cruise down the Warwickshire Avon, one of the most beautiful navigable rivers in the UK. Well maintained double locks and plenty of free, flood-safe, overnight moorings with access to small villages and market towns. the wildlife at this time of year is abundant, including cuckoos, kingfishers, curlews, crested grebe, otters and deer.

Check out the link suggested by Philip Hooton:

http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/central-england/locationsto see the locks and water levels.

The river goes down as quickly as it goes up and next week is forecast dry.

Edited by nikvah

The Avon came up more than I thought, but was still navigable throughout. It's peaked now and I've seen narrowboats going up and down today. I'm supposed to be going down to Evesham next weekend so hoping it stays dry.

I am not concerned by the Avon and agree its a lovely river, even if it was very high but am concerned about the Severn, it has such a large catchment area. Having been stick in and around Oxford for a couple of weeks a few years ago waiting for the river to go down and avoid CRT "fines" I have no wish to repeat the experience at Gloucester.

I am not concerned by the Avon and agree its a lovely river, even if it was very high but am concerned about the Severn, it has such a large catchment area. Having been stick in and around Oxford for a couple of weeks a few years ago waiting for the river to go down and avoid CRT "fines" I have no wish to repeat the experience at Gloucester.

You could be stuck in a worse place then the G&S though, if the river goes up on you you still have all the canal to play with. Moored at Sharpness at the moment, very pleasant. That said we need to go up to Stratford next week for the river festival and I will be a bit annoyed if we can't, but right now it is looking good I would say..

Hi there,

I'm planning to take a trip down the Severn from Worcester to Gloucester over the weekend 2nd & 3rd July and see that there are spring tides over 4th - 6th. Will this affect my return up the tidal Severn during these dates in any way besides waiting for safe water levels? Or do I have to wait on the G&S until the spring tides have passed?

Cheers.

You will just have to wait in Gloucester for the tide to fall and the river clear of debris, probably 2 to 3 hours after high tide. Looking at the tide times I would guess you will have to wait until 11 at least before they let anyone out of Gloucester. Just talk with Gloucester lock and he will give you a time, if it's like a three weeks ago expect a lot of boats waiting.

We are going up from Gloucester tomorrow.