Off Boat Transport

New to this

Featured Posts

Ok I have seen people with motorbikes mounted on boats, and yes I'm aware they cant be ridden on the tow path so the practicality of getting them on and off a boat aside won't be going that route as don't do illegal or grey areas.

Push bike, well other than being a lazy sod not my thing although may look at electric bikes but hell they are expensive. :(

Mobility scooter????? well oddly meet up with a gent on the towpath today when I was walking up the cut and the thought occurred well I wonder.

sounds daft but have found them that have greater range than many electric bikes, they are more comfy I should imagine.

So wondering if anyone has one on there boat as an alternative to having a car or other motor?

Suspect this is going to set a few off :)

On many urban and a very few rural tow paths that have been "improved" I am sure they would be as good as on the road but there are many mile of very rough, muddy, rutted ones, often there are parts where the width is restricted by fallen banks. This often ends up with a path with a considerable camber. As an example the path from Fobney lock (Reading) going west would be fine but maybe half a mile you cross a weir (also fine) and then the path changes to a narrow, muddy one. A quarter or a mile further you need to cross a bridge over the river but anti-irresponsible cyclist obstructions would make passage impossible.

If you are just talking about a few yards from the moored boat to a road access where you can assess the length of path and the state of any obstruction would be more practical but then so would just pushing a small (or not so small) motor bike to the road.

edited to changer east to west

Edited by Tony Brooks

Shanks' pony.

What about an electric self balancing unicycle :rolleyes:

Honda used to do a little motorbike called a Monkey Bike. They fold down very small. I think there are Chinese versions as well.

One of my dream personal transportation devices is one of those old motorised bicycles they used to do. Looks like a normal bike but has a little Villiers engine on it. Quite a few of them in France.

Looks like the Chinese do these too

https://m.alibaba.com/product/1195703515/petrol-engine-bike-engine-motorized-bicycle.html

'Er indoors and I used to use a tandem to get back to the car.

I made a wooden frame to clip to the bike, and enable it to slide on the car roof rack.

Every day we'd sail away until about 5pm with the tandem on the baot, then cycle back to the car (left at a convenient pub) have a jar, load up the bike, drive off to the next pub, unload bike (have another jar) back to the boat and repeat.

Otherwise its the two car shuffle if you're doing a one-way trip, which is hardly eco-friendly.

Edited by jake_crew

ok this is ideal, especially as it folds and even on a NB you could find somewhere to store it maybe even inside, Well deck or engine room perhaps

But price is a bit steep :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Style-Kwikfold-Xite-Cycling-folding-Padel-and-Electric-bike-bicycle-Battery-/281832312276?var=&hash=item419e83cdd4:m:mhFGWGQPmkAksjRFvz7Gdfg

I remember the name Di Blasi from the 90s as they used to do folding mopeds (powered by petrol engines I think)

It seems they now do an automatically folding :huh: electric scooter Folds to the size of a suitcase at the touch of a button (what size suitcase one wonders)

Anyway here it is - probably a bit Italian and also probably quite expensive

http://www.diblasi.co.uk/Folding_Scooters.asp?Prd=R30&Pag=Prodotto&Lng=en

Edited by magnetman

I remember the name Di Blasi from the 90s as they used to do folding mopeds (powered by petrol engines I think)

It seems they now do an automatically folding huh.png electric scooter Folds to the size of a suitcase at the touch of a button (what size suitcase one wonders)

Anyway here it is - probably a bit Italian and also probably quite expensive

http://www.diblasi.co.uk/Folding_Scooters.asp?Prd=R30&Pag=Prodotto&Lng=en

wroth a look, the moped has issues of licence, tax and MOT but see the point, the electric moped well may do it :)

I have a DiBlasi folding motorbike - I have had it for years now and I find it excellent. It folds up and goes into a bag that sits inconspicuously inside my boat. When I need to get somewhere it folds out very quickly, kick start it and off I go! Very useful in the boot of the car too.

The UK agent is this company

http://www.conceptedge.co.uk/R70_Page.html

R7_Red_Open&Closed_440px.jpg

I have a DiBlasi folding motorbike - I have had it for years now and I find it excellent. It folds up and goes into a bag that sits inconspicuously inside my boat. When I need to get somewhere it folds out very quickly, kick start it and off I go! Very useful in the boot of the car too.

The UK agent is this company

http://www.conceptedge.co.uk/R70_Page.html

R7_Red_Open&Closed_440px.jpg

Did have a look, and can see the fold it up and pack it away being a real asset however TAX MOT Insurance and Licence dissuade me, I'm not going to be CC so may as well keep the car

The DiBlasi web site shows the machine in the back of a Mercedes-Benz estate, so it obviously isn't all that big. I'd be much more concerned about the three hours of recharging it would need, in addition to any other demands on the boat's on-board batteries/charging system.

Think I will keep the car in the car park and make sure I load up the boat before doing any cruising

Nasty ! I was chatting with a local old geyser yesterday and having a look at his mobility scooter - I definitely wouldn't fancy taking it off road !! I did once see a bloke on a fairly fast 3 wheel mobility scooter whizzing up and down the towpath near Rickmansworth but I don't know what his machine was.

It looked pretty handy but not very compact.

DiBlasi did do a petrol powered moped which I think is the one WJM was talking about.

Edited by magnetman

I use a folding bike, named the "Milan Explorer". Knowing that Milan doesn't resemble our canal network in the slightest, I was somewhat hesitant before making my purchase. Fortunately it's not one I regret.

Milan-Black_Main_large.jpg

There's no denying it's at the low end of the market being priced at only £170 but it seems to do the job and can handle tow-paths OK with its 20" wheels. It's also reasonably light due to the aluminium frame and can carry 4-5 bags of shopping from the local Sainsbury's with ease using a couple bungee straps. It lacks the macho look and for that reason it is probably less desirable to thieves. *touch wood* I'd recommend it for trips of 2-3 miles in length. It can do more no doubt but it lacks the comfort and effortlessness of a mountain bike for long distance cycling. In essence, it seems to be good at what it was designed to do.

My dog also approves as it means he can run along the tow-path. smile.png

• 4 weeks later...

zbNCg6I.jpg

No tax/MOT, do need occasional oiling. Fits in top of your boat

I think that isn't a typing error, you really meant fits in top of your boat. The only way that's going through most bridge holes is to store it in a hold, and you're going to need lots of accommodation for those eight men. Maybe you should consider a historic working boat if your crew can make do with camp beds in the hold?

Depending on your budget and level of interest, there are now loads of options for making relatively cheap electric bikes which can be charged from your panels/engine.

This person has essentially strapped a 12v battery and a truck starter motor to a normal bike!

It's quite possible to source specific hub motors from China, and attach batteries and a controller.... suited to the distance you intend to make. Can be recharged when driving your car. Mountain bikes with front shocks are well suited to towpaths.

There's a friendly guy on the canals somewhere who has a huge motortrike on the front quarter of his boat,,,

Why make do with wheels, Get yourself hay and grass powered quadruped. Added advantage that it has a self driving mode to take you back from the pub to the boat. Plus it can tow the boat.

Come to think of it, are horses allowed on the towpath? I've seen the horsedrawn barges at Hungerford...but I'm guessing you need a licence?

Come to think of it, are horses allowed on the towpath? I've seen the horsedrawn barges at Hungerford...but I'm guessing you need a licence?

How would you stow it on the boat? Maybe one of those miniature pony's and a little foldable buggy would work