How to get a boat for 12 weeks?

RevCedd

Featured Posts

There's pragmatically 2 options:

1. Hire, and accept the hire fee (obviously try for a significant discount)

2. Buy a secondhand, then sell it

2 has the issue that you may not be able to determine the purchase date (and sale date), there's all sorts of things that can happen during the sale process which delays things - for example a survey which reveals significant faults. Also, selling after 3 months is going to look suspicious. You don't say WHEN the 12 week period needs to be, I wonder if you can do it during the winter (significantly cheaper hire cost) or be more flexible on that time period?

I think he is hoping someone will come along and loan him their boat for little cost and little running cost.

I think he is hoping someone will come along and loan him their boat for little cost and little running cost.

I am also hoping to win Euromillions, but I am not basing all my financial planning on that hope (although my wife seems to be). As I said in the OP I am not expecting to do this for free, just looking for some money saving tips, which many people have helpfully provided. Any speculation about my hopes, fears or dreams beyond that is probably off topic!

• Greenie 2

I am also hoping to win Euromillions, but I am not basing all my financial planning on that hope (although my wife seems to be). As I said in the OP I am not expecting to do this for free, just looking for some money saving tips, which many people have helpfully provided. Any speculation about my hopes, fears or dreams beyond that is probably off topic!

I never mentioned for free - i said for little cost which is money saving - i was trying to promote some good for you by suggesting someone lend you a boat - but i guess you misinterpereted what i said and my help fell on stoney ground.

I never mentioned for free - i said for little cost which is money saving - i was trying to promote some good for you by suggesting someone lend you a boat - but i guess you misinterpereted what i said and my help fell on stoney ground.

And therein lies the problem with the internet! I apologise for misinterpreting your intent, and if anyone does wish to lend a boat for a few months in 2018 I would not look a gift horse in the mouth (never understood that saying) and it would be very well looked after. Thank you Barnacle!

The problem with the "lending for little money" is that it would fall under "hire" as far as licensing/etc is concerned, and CRT have set the bar very high for hireboats - different BSS, mooring with parking and facilities available, etc etc Unfortunately its not legally possible to simply lend out your boat unless its free or you meet a bunch of regulations.

And therein lies the problem with the internet! I apologise for misinterpreting your intent, and if anyone does wish to lend a boat for a few months in 2018 I would not look a gift horse in the mouth (never understood that saying) and it would be very well looked after. Thank you Barnacle!

One of the checks when buying a horse is to look at its teeth (apparently) - if given a horse its a bit rude to see if its worth accepting!

One of the checks when buying a horse is to look at its teeth (apparently) - if given a horse its a bit rude to see if its worth accepting!

Thank you!

The problem with the "lending for little money" is that it would fall under "hire" as far as licensing/etc is concerned, and CRT have set the bar very high for hireboats - different BSS, mooring with parking and facilities available, etc etc Unfortunately its not legally possible to simply lend out your boat unless its free or you meet a bunch of regulations.

Indeed...

I'd also recommend a hotel boat, I found lots of search results on Google for it and have seen a few out on the cut. You'd also get the opportunity to integrate and mix with fellow guests. I'm not sure if it's possible to stay for 12 weeks on one boat but if not, you could always split the time between two or more hotel boats.

I'd also recommend a hotel boat, I found lots of search results on Google for it and have seen a few out on the cut. You'd also get the opportunity to integrate and mix with fellow guests. I'm not sure if it's possible to stay for 12 weeks on one boat but if not, you could always split the time between two or more hotel boats.

Or even work your passage if you are alone