Planning a holiday in London

Wakes

Featured Posts

Planning a few nights away on Grand Union/ Regents canal next month. Expecting mooring to be a nightmare, what is the done procedure for breasting up? Would only be for one night at a time, do some boaters get funny about it, should I always ask first? Regards, Wakes.

Planning a few nights away on Grand Union/ Regents canal next month. Expecting mooring to be a nightmare, what is the done procedure for breasting up? Would only be for one night at a time, do some boaters get funny about it, should I always ask first? Regards, Wakes.

This has been covered many times on the Forum but am happy to restate;

Breasting up is standard/expected in London however at many of the popular spots it will already be happening.

There are some bookable moorings in the pool at Little Venice but they are popular, details at:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/our-regions/london-waterways/bookable-moorings-at-rembrandt-gardens-little-venice

Generally you will normally find somewhere to moor up to and including Paddington Basin but the rule is that if you see a spot grab it rather than continuing right to the basin, you can always move on if a better spot becomes available.

Don't rely on being able to moor on the Regents canal especially on the visitor moorings at Camden, islington and Victoria Park. There is a bookable overnight mooring at the London Canal Museum but it comes with restrictions, details:

http://www.canalmuseum.org.uk/visit/comebyboat.htm

There are 24 hour moorings at Limehouse Basin.

Paddington has excellent transport links so is a good base to explore London from.

Tim

Thanks for your reply Tim, was a little concerned incase it got late in the evening and we're still looking for a spot. Think breasting up is a good option and the done thing in London so should be ok for one night at a time

Hi Wakes,

Tim gives good advice above re moorings

From my own experience, we went through London twice last summer once in early May and then again at the end of June early July and to be completely honest after reading all the stuff on FB and here in the forum about how congested London is I was quite worried about us not being able to find moorings and ending up having to travel through after dark - I appreciate lots of folks do this, it's not for me at all.

We are a WB and doubling up for us isn't really an option in most canal scenarios

Anyway, Mark99 of this parish gave me some great info, pretty much as Tim has done for you above; at the end of the day, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting. We weren't picky about where we stayed and just took the first spot big enough for us once we decided that was enough cruising for that particular day.

I think the folks who find London fully packed are the ones who decide where they want to moor before they get there and end up disappointed because they've chosen one of the "honey spots" like everyone else visiting the capital does. And / Or they do not want to double up with some of the locals.

On our return trip through, I ended up with a very pretty mooring spot at Victoria Park - it really was lovely.

Enjoy your trip :)

I think the folks who find London fully packed are the ones who decide where they want to moor before they get there and end up disappointed because they've chosen one of the "honey spots" like everyone else visiting the capital does. And / Or they do not want to double up with some of the locals.

That paragraph should be saved & repeated on every one of these tbreads about mooring in London.

Spot on Betty

• Greenie 1

Just curious. I won't be going to London, but I am interested in doubling up etiquette.

From both points of view. ie. you turning up 'late' and nowhere to moor except alongside someone. Do you ask first? - do you need permission? - and if nobody on board - just tie up? And being already moored with someone coming alongside- can you refuse permission?.

And once breasted up - does the 'outer' boat have restricted access - or come and go as they wish - rocking your boat every time they cross. What do you do.

Do you tie on to the next boat, or run lines to the shore - who is responsible for fenders between boats?

I have never done it before, and prefer not to.- but if necessary it would be useful to be forewarned.

We've never had a problem with double mooring. I have heard of some people not liking it but they're a tiny minority. Just knock on the roof and ask if they're in or speak to them when they get back and it'll be fine.

There's actually a comparatively decent amount of space at the moment as people are shuffling around a lot more. We just crossed town from the Lea and had two weeks on each side of Victoria Park, two at Broadway Market, one at Noel Road and now two at Little Venice, and we're a good sized WB.

We've been in LV this week and there has been somewhere to double moor pretty much all of the time and even a fair few single mooring gaps popping up here and there. Don't restrict yourself to VMs and you should be fine.

Does depend on how big you are, obviously. Last time we went through (there and back again), we never had to double moor, although someone did tie up alongside us for a week. But that was in the 38-footer. I think that next time it'll be more challenging.

Just curious. I won't be going to London, but I am interested in doubling up etiquette.

From both points of view. ie. you turning up 'late' and nowhere to moor except alongside someone. Do you ask first? - do you need permission? - and if nobody on board - just tie up? And being already moored with someone coming alongside- can you refuse permission?.

And once breasted up - does the 'outer' boat have restricted access - or come and go as they wish - rocking your boat every time they cross. What do you do.

Do you tie on to the next boat, or run lines to the shore - who is responsible for fenders between boats?

I have never done it before, and prefer not to.- but if necessary it would be useful to be forewarned.

When i was in London and needed to double or triple moor i would always pull alongside and then tap on the side before tying on. If nobody was home then i would get tied on and sorted and then stick a note under the hatch with words to the effect of:

"Hi, hope you don't mind me breasting up, i did knock but nobody home. I plan to be here for a couple of days and moving on on Saturday. Feel free to give me a knock and say hello when you het home, or my mobile number is 077*******25 if there are any problems".

I never once had anyone complain. It's handy to know when each other plan to move on so you can be there if any shuffling of the pack is required. I would always tie to the other boat rather than the bank, but check how securely they are tied up. You may need to get creative with mooring lines or re-tie them if they haven't made a good job of it. I would put my own fenders down.

Having said all that, I'm sure many don't bother with any of that and just get on with it. Breasting up is expected in London and i wouldn't be fussed to come home and find someone on the outside of me.

I would personally always tie to the bank in preference to the other boat but we're bigger than average so I think that's prudent. The spacing of mooring rings doesn't always allow it though. Failing that we tie to the other boat and then ideally on to the mooring ring or a pin to make it more secure.

When i was in London and needed to double or triple moor i would always pull alongside and then tap on the side before tying on. If nobody was home then i would get tied on and sorted and then stick a note under the hatch with words to the effect of:

"Hi, hope you don't mind me breasting up, i did knock but nobody home. I plan to be here for a couple of days and moving on on Saturday. Feel free to give me a knock and say hello when you het home, or my mobile number is 077*******25 if there are any problems".

I never once had anyone complain. It's handy to know when each other plan to move on so you can be there if any shuffling of the pack is required. I would always tie to the other boat rather than the bank, but check how securely they are tied up. You may need to get creative with mooring lines or re-tie them if they haven't made a good job of it. I would put my own fenders down.

Having said all that, I'm sure many don't bother with any of that and just get on with it. Breasting up is expected in London and i wouldn't be fussed to come home and find someone on the outside of me.

from a yachting background, where rafting out (double banking) is fairly common in popular harbours, I would agree, except it is common courtesy to tie up to the shore as well. If the inside boat needs to go before the outside boat then then with a bit of jiggling about you can sail without disturbing the other guys (too much). Also with yachts its courtesy again to cross another boat on their fore deck, as the cockpit/ stern, is the social area on a yacht or power boat.

I agree with what's been said. Ask if there's someone on board, but otherwise just tie up. Use your own fenders (tied to your boat) so the other boat can slip out when you are not there. As an unconverted working boat we have to cross from the stern or cross planks (in front of the cabin), so would usually cross the stern of the inside boat. Just make a point of not looking in any open doors as you cross to protect the other boat's privacy.

For some of the larger rallies where numerous boats are expected to be arriving and departing over a short period it is not uncommon for the organisers to issue "welcome to moor alongside" notices for boaters to display in a window, so that best use of perhaps limited moorings can be made on the trip to/from the rally.

The environment agency used to send out Moor Alongside window stickers with licenses - not sure if they are available from CRT as well :unsure:

And I am not sure if you can get a sticker saying the opposite :unsure: something like "go away I like the view out of my windows"

well we have just "done" London in 13' 6" barge and it was a doddle and a pleasure. Thanks very much Tim Lewis for the info about the museum, we booked it and it was a big relief knowing we had somewhere at the end of the day. I just wish we could have had longer in there.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ what a grand museum to visit, an oasis of calm in a mad bustling place. The developments around St Pancras have to be seen to be believed. Fascinating to learn about the Ice cream trade and the "penny licks" !

If you think London is hard, you have had a sheltered life IMHO. I'm still wondering where all the boats are, but I must admit we didn't go east of Battlebridge Basin.

cheers, David

The development going on around St Pancras is truly eyewatering.

And yes once you go east of there you will find a significant number of boats.

I haven't been from west to east london on the regents canal this year - will be doing so this weekend so we'll see if things have changed since last year. It did seem to be exceptionally "chockablock" last time I came through which was last summer.

Tyop edit

Edited by magnetman

well we have just "done" London in 13' 6" barge and it was a doddle and a pleasure. Thanks very much Tim Lewis for the info about the museum, we booked it and it was a big relief knowing we had somewhere at the end of the day. I just wish we could have had longer in there.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ what a grand museum to visit, an oasis of calm in a mad bustling place. The developments around St Pancras have to be seen to be believed. Fascinating to learn about the Ice cream trade and the "penny licks" !

If you think London is hard, you have had a sheltered life IMHO. I'm still wondering where all the boats are, but I must admit we didn't go east of Battlebridge Basin.

cheers, David

Travelling west to east, I moored in Paddington basin for a week, but once I passed Maida hill tunnel and Battlbridge basin I made my way straight to Limehouse without mooring up overnight between. I'm from London but I don't like north or east London at all, plus a moorer in the basin told me a few things about the area that put me off. Victoria park is ok I suppose depending on which local malcontents happen to be hanging around.

The development going on around St Pancras is truly eyewatering.

And yes once you go east of there you will find a significant number of boats.

I haven't been from west to east london on the regents canal this year - will be doing so this weekend so we'll see if things have changed since last year. It did seem to be exceptionally "chockablock" last time I came through which was last summer.

Tyop edit

It must have changed since I did it 6 years ago. I didn't see many boats in east London apart from Victoria park.

Ok, I'll bit.

What's a "malcontents"? We only saw, ducks, swans, geese and the odd coot while we moored there

malcontent

ˈmalkəntɛnt/Submit

noun

plural noun: malcontents

a person who is dissatisfied and rebellious.

"it was too late to stop the malcontents with a show of force"

synonyms: troublemaker, mischief-maker, agitator, dissentient, dissident, rebel; More

You think just because you didn't see any trouble while you were moored there for a few nights that east London is all sweetness and light? You must be wearing those rose tinted specs. There have been a fair few muggings, break-ins and stabbings around Victoria park in recent years.

ahhh smile.png

but you see them sort everywhere, London doesn't have exclusivity, there's very few places I feel safe in leaving "nickables" on the tow path side of the boat roof when we are moored up.

I shift most everything to the canal side - why tempt fate?

& the same thing applies to muggings and what not - they take place everywhere, you just have to use the same precautions and hope for the best or...live in fear

I rather apply the cautions and enjoy my surroundings

ETA - the last bit

Edited by Bettie Boo