Emptying the sink

New to this

Featured Posts

Ok may sound a bit mad, round here that is standard though judge.gif:)

Anyhow walking down the cut recently and lady on opposite bank is in the kitchen at the sink, Appears to me (as engine was not running, or was bloody silent) that the kitchen sink was emptying directly in to the cut, Is this permissible, standard practice?

Not a moan as such just trying to understand as have saved some £'s and seriously looking at a sail away and understanding helps planning.

Thanks

Edited by New to this

Kitchen sink, shower & hand basin water can and usually does go straight into the cut. Many of us try to use cleaning products like Ecover that maybe more "natural" than say Fairy Liquid.

Its black water - toilet water that must go into some form of holding system.

Thanks all, A porta potty sounding a much better option now as grey water over the side, wheel porta potty to disposal point and no black water tank to buy, site, maintain and pump out smile.png

Also look into the option of composting loos - becoming more popular now. As well as the standard commercial brands there is also a guy who makes kits for you to build your own, or will build one to your own specifications. Look at the facebook page of Compost Toilets for boats and off grid living. Might not be your cup of tea, but its as well to look at all options.

We are having one too - whatever is in the boat we buy will be coming out (hopefully a cassette, as thats much easier than removing an old poo tank!) and we are having a composter from Colin Ives, the chappie on the facebook page. Love the look of his loos.

Also look into the option of composting loos - becoming more popular now. As well as the standard commercial brands there is also a guy who makes kits for you to build your own, or will build one to your own specifications. Look at the facebook page of Compost Toilets for boats and off grid living. Might not be your cup of tea, but its as well to look at all options.

Not sure but have joined and will have a nose, I'm all for alternatives, this I suppose has benefits of lack of chemicals and therefore cost

Composting toilets sound like a good idea but how do you dispose of the urine and solids? I'm sure many will dispose of both near the towpath, when no-one is looking! I doubt if either is legal unless you are also the landowner.

Composting toilets sound like a good idea but how do you dispose of the urine and solids? I'm sure many will dispose of both near the towpath, when no-one is looking! I doubt if either is legal unless you are also the landowner.

A point to be considered when research is done

Sounds like it normally takes 6 months to a year, but can be done quicker if the temperature is raised.

http://www.eco-toilets.co.uk/faq-storage-and-composting/

I know have a mental image of bags of 'compost' sitting next to a nice warm engine for 90 days. Not sure my better half would agree to this method..........

When I started boating in the mid 1960's, it was normal to pump toilet waste directly into the canal.

It still is on the Great Ouse.

When my parents hired in the mid 60s the boat equipment included a spade, so you could dig a hole in a convenient field and bury the contents of the elsan. Better than just dumping it in the cut, but I wonder what the farmers thought about it.