Narrowboat log

Profzarkov

Featured Posts

Hello

I keep a written log of all our journeys. I use the Inland waterways logbook but was wondering if anyone's made an electronic version? Could be useful in searching through past entries and also in calculating hours of engine, fuel consumption etc

I could probably make one up in excel or word but some boater has already done one, I'd be very interested.

Cheers

Steve

I just did a simple spread sheet date ,location,miles,locks,moveable bridges.engine time chargetime & movetime,diesel dip readings when taken.

It gives me a future reference to look back for travel times and I can work out fuel consumption plus a record of duty share.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the replies - my wife, Viv, who is an Excel wizard, has made up a good spreadsheet. Not only is it good for keeping a record but with its maths functions it tells me a rough indication of the "mpg" of the engine, hours until a refill plus hrs until filter changes/services etc - neat.

Thanks for the replies - my wife, Viv, who is an Excel wizard, has made up a good spreadsheet. Not only is it good for keeping a record but with its maths functions it tells me a rough indication of the "mpg" of the engine, hours until a refill plus hrs until filter changes/services etc - neat.

Maybe you should share it here, I am sure there are others who could make use of it.

I log using an on line spreadsheet so can access via phone, iPad and PC..

Here are the headings I have as well as some I've just thought of that may be handy..

Date

Days

Engine Hours

Trip Distance (miles)

# Locks

# Swing bridges

Fuel Consumption (est)

Area/Location

Nearest Canalplan location

CRT Locaton Code

Direction Facing

Mooring type (tow path, pontoon, paved, etc.)

Rating (split into overall/groceries/public transport/pub/laundrette)

Comments

I also Pivot table the time spent at a mooring by location and Year.

Edited by Robbo