Horrible tea - water filters?

RichM

Featured Posts

OldGoat, on 05 Jun 2016 - 7:56 PM, said:snapback.png

I've got an inline filter made by Doulton - came from midland Chandlers. It's quite slow (cos of all the filtration that it does).

Here's a modern equivalent:-

http://www.midlandch...uct/wp-236.aspx

Scu8a said " use one of these too. Works a treat but I doubt it will filter a 'taste' out of the water."

Seagull IV would

Dave

I use one of these too. Works a treat but I doubt it will filter a 'taste' out of the water.

I think we need to look into why there is a 'taste' in the water.

Try tasting the water coming from the standpipe on the bank. If this has the offending 'taste' then fine, use filters etc to get rid of the taste, if possible. The water pipe feeding the tap is probably buried in contaminated ground and tainting it.

If however the water tastes fine from the standpipe but awful once stored in the boat water tank for a few hours, then there is something seriously wrong with the tank.

If however the water tastes fine from the standpipe but awful once stored in the boat water tank for a few hours, then there is something seriously wrong with the tank.

Cant fault that. Certainly with the rate of turnover you will get if living aboard, if we have no issues at two days a fortnight,

Daniel

May be worth tasting the water from standpipe then from end of hose then from tap in the boat. That would rule out the hose being the problem. Also if you go from the freshest source you won't already have the bad taste in your mouth.

I have never tried this !

Typos

Edited by magnetman

I have never deliberately added anything to a water tank apart from water :rolleyes: in 22 years living aboard on 6 different boats with built in steel tanks and plastic tanks.

I have had brown water out of the taps on a couple of built in tanks but not on the current one (which is built in but also very large and regularly "cycled" which may help.

And I realise the brown water comment is probably not relevant as sterilising would not affect colour just the safety of the water for drinking.

How many of you folks regularly clear / disinfect your water systems with Milton or other system cleaners?

I never clean or disinfect my tank, but I did just remove all the loose coating and repaint with 2 pack epoxy as the water was coming out fairly brown at times.

How many of you folks regularly clear / disinfect your water systems with Milton or other system cleaners?

I do. Every spring, using Elsan Fresh Water Tank Cleaner. Fill tank, add stuff, draw into pipework and taps if you like, leave overnight, drain and refill. It's Hydrogen Peroxide based, so no smell, taint or threat to wildlife and no issues about whether it's properly flushed or over damage to seals.

Is it necessary? Dunno, as I keep a good turnover of my tank contents anyway, but it's cheap and easy to do, so I do it for peace of mind - even if it's belt and braces. We drink the water from the boat tank, whereas some others here don't and some even worry about giving it to their dogs.

What have you checked so far? The fill point tap? The end of the fill hose? water in the tank? Water from the tap?

The fill hose can collect bio in the coils of stagnant water, the tank may have rust and flaking paint, the pumps may contain shredded impeller etc.

Have you ever really emptied the tank? And looked inside?

I would say if its just the tea that is a problem them bottled water would probably be manageable. Unless the op is a major tea drinker then he isn't really going to consume that much actual tea-based water. If the water taste causes problems in other water useage departments then a full investigation is probably in order.

When I worked Offshore I use to visit unmanned platforms so we had to take all our food and water with us, we found that lots of bottled water made rubbish, scummy tea. Highland Spring was our favourite at the time. I have no idea what is best today.