Horrible tea - water filters?

RichM

Featured Posts

I've been a liveaboard since April and i just cannot seem to get acquired to the unique taste & aroma of tea boiled with tank water. I know some people buy bottled water or fill up 5lt containers for this but I'd rather not do that.

Does anyone recommend any kitchen sink taps with built-in filters? I've seen some for house use but I don't know if they will fit on a narrowboat? I'm no plumber but I know the plumbing on this boat has more in common with a static caravan than a house.

Edited by Armitage Shanks

Not sure what you're going to filter out. If it's the 'flavour' of the tank and pipes you may be stuck with it?

Have you tried one of the Brita filter jugs?

.. or is there any mileage in a flush through with Miltons or similar.

• Greenie 1

Not sure what you're going to filter out. If it's the 'flavour' of the tank and pipes you may be stuck with it?

Have you tried one of the Brita filter jugs?

.. or is there any mileage in a flush through with Miltons or similar.

I guess I'm looking to improve water quality in the hope it will improve the taste. Thanks, will give Milltons a try. Still pretty new to this.

I've got an inline filter made by Doulton - came from midland Chandlers. It's quite slow (cos of all the filtration that it does).

Here's a modern equivalent:-

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/product/wp-236.aspx

That looks ideal. Can these be fitted at any convenient location along the cold water feed to the tap or does it need to be located near the pump?

Edited by Armitage Shanks

First thing to check is if it is a built in tank (effectively the inside of the hull plating usually at the front - therefore subject to internal rusting)

You could try completely emptying the tank then refilling. Probably worth doing it through the filler if it is directly above the tank. Use a pump with a hose attached so you can suck out all the water then refill the tank completely. Then drain again and repeat a few times. A build up of crud in the tank could contribute to a taste problem, specially if it is a built in tank.

Other than that maybe filtering is an option. In my experience a clean tank (built in or otherwise) tastes the same as normal tap water. I did once have a problem when I bought a new hose which seemed to have some sort of detergent in it which was transferred to the tank on first use and took a while to flush out of the system.

I have one tap, on the kitchen sink into which I plumbed in a Liff cil filter. All you need is a pair of 1/4"bsp male x 15mm compression connectors. My last filters were Culligan equivalents which do the same job for 1/2 the price on Ebay.

This assumes that all is clean in the tank to start with.

I would open up the tank inspection hatch and see if there is anything in there that shouldn't.

Mine was just lots of rust, but I have heard stories of others with a leaky inspection hatch with whatever was on the front deck leaking in.

I just cleaned and repainted my tank with 2 pack epoxy - not a nice job - but hopefully it should last a fair few years.

Years ago I very cleverly bought a copper kettle from a junk shop. It was a nice item and not in bad condition with the spout well soldered on etc.

I put it on and made some tea. The tea tasted foul. Made some more. Still tasted foul.

Inspection of the kettle was in order and following a good look I found that someone had been stubbing out cigarettes in the top of the spout and there was still a fag end in it :lol:

Its definitely worth checking for the silly unexpected things.

Edited by wrigglefingers
Removal of quote

Years ago I very cleverly bought a copper kettle from a junk shop. It was a nice item and not in bad condition with the spout well soldered on etc.

I put it on and made some tea. The tea tasted foul. Made some more. Still tasted foul.

Inspection of the kettle was in order and following a good look I found that someone had been stubbing out cigarettes in the top of the spout and there was still a fag end in it laugh.png

Its definitely worth checking for the silly unexpected things.

Some years ago when my aged parents were beginning to lose their marbles they complained that tea didn't taste like it used to do.

After some investigation regarding brand of tea, freshness of milk etc I found two very rusty, grotty Brillo pads in the kettle!

HH

I have the smaller version and they are good.

http://www.purewateronline.co.uk/Nature-Pure-QC/

But before going to the expense I'd buy yourself a cheap Brita-type jug and see if that makes your tea taste any better. If it works then buy yourself a proper filter kit with a dedicated tap.

Edited by Claude

. I know some people buy bottled water or fill up 5lt containers for this but I'd rather not do that.

Why not?

If you object to the cost, simply fill up bottles with tap water when you visit a water point. We don't drink water from the boat's tank either, but keep a stock of plastic milk bottles filled with fresh water.

First thing to check is if it is a built in tank [or plastic/stainless/linerbag etc]....

....In my experience a clean tank (built in or otherwise) tastes the same as normal tap water.

I would echo that.

We turn the tank over 80gal every weekend we are on the boat, which in summer is every 2-3weeks, and have no issue at all with taste and stopped using the filtered tap we have when new well before I had anything to do with it and have had no issues since.

Obviously a internal tank (mild steel) has slightly more maintenance requirements but otherwise assuming its well painted should work the same as any other. Ours is a plastic tank, in a plywood box/frame for stiffness and to keep the light off it, when we had it out for anther reason ten years ago (after 15 years) it was like new inside. Never used Milton, never needed to.

Expect if your living on, unless you have a monumental size of tank you are turning it over fairly fast, at which point I expect the chlorine level in the mains water does enough for you.

Daniel

Most folk seem to keep topping up the tank at every opportunity so it never gets a complete refill of fresh water, instead of regularly letting it tun out completely and filling afresh.

I drink untreated tank water on both of my boats (modern plastic tanks) and it tastes identical to ordinary tap water. Certainly doesn't affect the taste of tea.

Something wrong with your tank i reckon!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I drink untreated tank water on both of my boats (modern plastic tanks) and it tastes identical to ordinary tap water. Certainly doesn't affect the taste of tea.

Something wrong with your tank i reckon!

Same on Fulbourne. We recently replaced the nigh on 50 year old steel tank with a plastic one (which takes up less useful space), and both have been fine to drink from.

I really don't understand all this faffing about with bottled water or expensive water filters which need regular replacement (even if they were free come to that). If you're filling your tank with fresh clean water and can't then drink it, there's something wrong with your fresh water system.

Sure, you can compensate for that by filtering the worst of it out or you can restock regularly with bottled water, but why not just put it right and have gallons and gallons of clean fresh water on tap?

Still, each to their own. Just cos I (or probably any other engineer) don't understand doesn't mean others are not welcome to continue to faff if it makes them happy! :)

I've got an inline filter made by Doulton - came from midland Chandlers. It's quite slow (cos of all the filtration that it does).

Here's a modern equivalent:-

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/product/wp-236.aspx

I use one of these too. Works a treat but I doubt it will filter a 'taste' out of the water.