Fishing pegs

colmac

Featured Posts

A question; does the secretary of a fishing club have any authority to move a boat on in their fishing area? We were recently moored on the Shroppie and, about 5 ish a bloke came to us and said " you will need to be away from here by 8 tomorrow morning "When I asked who he was he told me he was the fishing club secretary, they had a competition in the morning and we were moored on one of their pegs. Ipointed out that the fisherman could cast his maggots in 6 feet to one side until we left. He was not amused and was fairly rude but I didn't retaliate and he left. So……..if a fishing club pays for exclusive fishing rights on a stretch of canal, do they have authority to move boats on ? I suspect not and I stayed where I was until the morning, leaving to the glares of several fishing types. If his people skills had been better I may have been inclined to help. can anyone give me the official line ?

Also what fee would this club pay for these sole fishing rights per stretch ?

Not much. And I thought boaters paid huge fees to navigate the system and moor up on the towpath for 14 days. I must be wrong somewhere I'm glad i'm getting out of it.

A question; does the secretary of a fishing club have any authority to move a boat on in their fishing area? We were recently moored on the Shroppie and, about 5 ish a bloke came to us and said " you will need to be away from here by 8 tomorrow morning "When I asked who he was he told me he was the fishing club secretary, they had a competition in the morning and we were moored on one of their pegs. Ipointed out that the fisherman could cast his maggots in 6 feet to one side until we left. He was not amused and was fairly rude but I didn't retaliate and he left. So……..if a fishing club pays for exclusive fishing rights on a stretch of canal, do they have authority to move boats on ? I suspect not and I stayed where I was until the morning, leaving to the glares of several fishing types. If his people skills had been better I may have been inclined to help. can anyone give me the official line ?

I seem to remember seeing a CRT notice saying a small stretch of canal was 'no mooring' for the duration of some event.

So unless CRT have said so I would think he has no authority to 'order' you.

That said, If it was not especially inconvenient to me I would move - as I have in the past - as the guy does not choose his peg and so why disadvantage him and spoil his morning.

• Greenie 1

A couple of years ago, coming up the calder and hebble, there was a big match on, they were even pegged out on the lock landings! Although I did have sympathy for the poor maggot drowners on those pegs I had to insist on pulling in, no choice. I complained to Cart and the angling club concerned.

I thought ( I can't think of the source or evidence for this) that fishing matches were supposed to be pegged around any moored boat. I have never seen a towpath blockage warning on CRT stoppages for example so I would assume CRT do not sanction any exclusion of boats mooring in these situations.

However, I am happy to share the canal with anglers whatever the income from fishing clubs to CRT is compared to boat licences I am glad of that income everything helps keep the canals maintained.

No they don't have the right to tell you to move.

Report it to the local CaRT Office.

I seem to remember seeing a CRT notice saying a small stretch of canal was 'no mooring' for the duration of some event.

That said, If it was not especially inconvenient to me I would move - as I have in the past - as the guy does not choose his peg and so why disadvantage him and spoil his morning.

My point exactly. If the chap had been polite I would have moved on however, my boat is 45' long and the peg was about 6' from the bow with clear water thereafter soI can't believe the fishing is any better at his peg. Thank you for your replies.

Some years Waterways World magazine reviewed BW's annual accounts, noting that the income from anglers was about 10% of that from boaters. This prompted a letter in the following months issue from a boater who said he would willingly pay 10% higher licence and mooring fees to be rid of of the anglers. Needless to say there was a response to the letter from BW talking about the need to accommodate a wide range of interests etc.etc.

I thought ( I can't think of the source or evidence for this) that fishing matches were supposed to be pegged around any moored boat. I have never seen a towpath blockage warning on CRT stoppages for example so I would assume CRT do not sanction any exclusion of boats mooring in these situations.

However, I am happy to share the canal with anglers whatever the income from fishing clubs to CRT is compared to boat licences I am glad of that income everything helps keep the canals maintained.

While sailing from Middlewich to Anderton recently I noticed that there were small metal discs every so often in the coping stones and that these had recently been marked with paint perhaps in preparation for a fishing match.

So if the markings are already there I would either avoid the area or moor in between the markers.

Steve

I've seen those too.

The fishing matches on the Shroppie can be a bit OTT at times.

We just tend to cook lots of bacon and sausages for sandwiches and eat them as we go past..

While sailing from Middlewich to Anderton recently I noticed that there were small metal discs every so often in the coping stones and that these had recently been marked with paint perhaps in preparation for a fishing match.

So if the markings are already there I would either avoid the area or moor in between the markers.

Steve

Those kind of things are there all the time so would not be an indication that a competition was imminent. If they have permanent swim markers it just means in my view that if they find you moored across one or two they should not allocate those swims to competing anglers.

Some years Waterways World magazine reviewed BW's annual accounts, noting that the income from anglers was about 10% of that from boaters. This prompted a letter in the following months issue from a boater who said he would willingly pay 10% higher licence and mooring fees to be rid of of the anglers. Needless to say there was a response to the letter from BW talking about the need to accommodate a wide range of interests etc.etc.

I certainly do not want to pay 10% more on my licence to get rid of anyone. If it is 10% then that equates to £3-3.5 Million not to be sniffed at.

The canals are a national resource for everyone in the nation not just a boaters playground.

I didn't understand here that anyone was suggesting the inland waterways are dedicated to any one set of enthusiasts.

As I understood it the question was "Can the appointed official of an interested party bully another CRT customer?"

The clear answer is No, however like everything in this world, whether they get away with it or not is down to the recipient.

I do like the bacon cooking idea though.

I do like the bacon cooking idea though.

It's especially effective on a cold miserable morning - put the extractor fan on for added effect, oh and mugs of hot steaming freshly brewed real coffee....

Edited by StephenA

I love this argument. There are nigh on 3 million leisure anglers in the UK - and they would be more than happy to pay a small fee to rid the canals and rivers of boats.

Boaters pay a mooring fee for the exclusive use of a stretch of CRT water at their home base - they have no mooring rights anywhere else.

..if a fishing club pays for exclusive fishing rights on a stretch of canal, do they have authority to move boats on ?....

'Exclusive' fishing rights relating to a club gives them rights over other anglers and clubs - not boats.

I doubt very much that CRT would grant exclusive rights to fishing clubs in areas clearly designated as moorings or stopping places - anywhere else it relies on common sense and a bit of good will.

• Greenie 1

Boaters pay a mooring fee for the exclusive use of a stretch of CRT water at their home base - they have no mooring rights anywhere else.

Oh yes we do!

For 14 days, except where CaRT say for a shorter period, and water points, lock landings etc.

And I, for one, am not going to be told I can't moor somewhere by some miserable maggot dangler.

(BTW Are fishing matches a fair fight? I've yet to hear of one where the fish win)

(BTW Are fishing matches a fair fight? I've yet to hear of one where the fish win)

Oh, I don't know.

Aren't ones where the fish win where the particularly miserable looking angler who has sat in the rain all day still has an empty keep net at the end of the day?

The fish seem happy enough, but often not so the anglers!

On a more serious note, can anybody produce anything to support the claim that selling angling rights brings in one tenth of what is brought in from boat licensing?

I suppose it's possible, but that percentage feels far higher than i would have instinctively have thought - I would expect it to be less.

If the secretary of a fishing club came up to me, explained that there was a match planned, and politely asked me if I wouldn't mind moving off the relevant stretch by such-and-such time, I'd happily oblige and wish him a happy day's fishing.

If he came up to me and told me I had to move, I think that would be the start of a potentially long and tedious argument about his authority and my rights, culminating in either him using the magic word, me digging my heels in and staying put, or (most likely) me moving on grumpily having made it clear that I'm doing so because I don't want to spoil anyone's day, not because he's telling me to.

• Greenie 3